Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Nope. We lost because of Bobrovsky and Barkov. Our depth players outplayed theirs the entire series.

We won 2 of our 3 games because our generational superstar willed the team to victory.
Our depth players is the reason we won the 3 games and possibly 4. Look at the score sheets on each game lol

We literally won a game without McDavid registering a shot or point.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The reality is however that we needed all hands on deck just to make the playoffs after the 2-9-1 start. It would have been nice to have the luxury of putting one or two top six players on LTIR but we would have risked missing all together. If we missed the dance I can almost guarantee Leon would request a trade and Connor would follow suit. Now we know we are this close to the end goal I think both will stay long term. A blunder maybe but an absolutely necessary one IMHO.

The team was comfortably in a playoff position well in time to LTIR Kane for the deadline.

And even if that was questionable Evander spent most/all of the season playing like hot ass anyways.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The point still stands, even at $37M, although obviously every dollar counts/helps. We should all be crossing our fingers for larger cap increases for sure, but I'm not willing to bank on that.

All three of those players need to take pretty big team friendly deals, or they are never winning here, end of story. Something like Bouch at $8.5, Drai at $12 and McD at $14. I'm not sure even that would be enough to adequately fill out the bottom of the roster.

As an aside, I really, 110% believe, that COVID caused us to not win a cup in the last 2-3 years. The backend of the McDrai contracts was when we were going to have our best window (and we still do next year if we don't trade Drai), but the cap being stagnant for those years really, REALLY, f***ed us hard.
There really isnt much difference between 34.5M and 37M. No need to penny pinch with top players.

Issue is that Nurse+Campbell+Kulak+Kane make ~22M+ while providing very little to wins.
We will also be using up ~5M of capspace on Browns's bonus and James Neal buyout next year.

Reactions: oXo Cube

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
There really isnt much difference between 34.5M and 37M. No need to penny pinch with top players.

Issue is that Nurse+Campbell+Kulak+Kane make ~22M+ while providing very little to wins.
We will also be using up ~5M of capspace on Browns's bonus and James Neal buyout next year.
It's a big difference. The depth players will take less if your top players are taking less

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
They came close with McDavid making 12.5M, Drai at 8,5M and Bouchard at 3.9M

If McDavid is serious about winning the cup and not just individual awards, he has to take a discount or keep the same 12.5M. I mean he's going to clear 200M by the same he's retired. The extra millions is going to do anything if he doesn't win a cup.

I actually said a very similar thing when he originally signed his current deal, I said it was too much and he needed to take a bigger discount if he wanted cup wins instead of just having money. I still stand by that point. I get Drai and Bouch going after the paycheck, they haven't made nearly as much over their careers, and don't make $5-7 M per year in endorsements like McDavid does. Dari/Bouch will go for the bank, and I get it, but McDavid is another animal altogether. McDavid will have already made about $150M in earnings by the time his next contract kicks in, and even with a very friendly team contract, he will make another ~$150-175 M in salary/endorsement earnings by the time he retires. So even if he signs a very friendly deal, he'll have made about $300-325 M in career earnings. I know 28 year old people generally don't think like this, so it might be asking too much, but when he is on his death bed, he isn't going to think back and be upset about not making another $25 M, he'll think back and be upset about not winning a cup. That is how he (and really all of us I would argue) should think about big life decisions.

If McDavid is serious about winning a cup, wherever he signs (us or another team) he will sign a very team friendly deal.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
The reality is however that we needed all hands on deck just to make the playoffs after the 2-9-1 start. It would have been nice to have the luxury of putting one or two top six players on LTIR but we would have risked missing all together. If we missed the dance I can almost guarantee Leon would request a trade and Connor would follow suit. Now we know we are this close to the end goal I think both will stay long term. A blunder maybe but an absolutely necessary one IMHO.

That's not true at all. They were in third in the Pacific at the beginning of March and could have finished no worse than 2WC because they were 9 points up on Calgary. Plus Kane wasn't doing jack all anyway.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
They already took less than 6M so why would they take 6M?

So you're trying to say is that they would have taken more because McDavid took 10M and Drai at 7M? If anything, RNH, Hyman, Kane would have taken less.
They would have taken more because they would have been offered more. These players including Perry, Hyman, Kane ,Ceci took less because that is all we had left in cap space. Holland might have kept a couple picks and got the Ekholm\Henrique without retention if there was cap space.
All I am saying is that we didnt lost game 7 because we didnt cheap out on McD and Drai deals.

It's a big difference. The depth players will take less if your top players are taking less
so you think Foegele would sign for 1M if McDavid was making less? Or Nuge would take 3M per deal because Drai makes 7M instead of 8.5?
Do you think McLeod went I want 2.5M because McDavid makes 12.5?

I just dont buy this logic. This is not how things work.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I actually said a very similar thing when he originally signed his current deal, I said it was too much and he needed to take a bigger discount if he wanted cup wins instead of just having money. I still stand by that point. I get Drai and Bouch going after the paycheck, they haven't made nearly as much over their careers, and don't make $5-7 M per year in endorsements like McDavid does. Dari/Bouch will go for the bank, and I get it, but McDavid is another animal altogether. McDavid will have already made about $150M in earnings by the time his next contract kicks in, and even with a very friendly team contract, he will make another ~$150-175 M in salary/endorsement earnings by the time he retires. So even if he signs a very friendly deal, he'll have made about $300-325 M in career earnings. I know 28 year old people generally don't think like this, so it might be asking too much, but when he is on his death bed, he isn't going to think back and be upset about not making another $25 M, he'll think back and be upset about not winning a cup. That is how he (and really all of us I would argue) should think about big life decisions.

If McDavid is serious about winning a cup, wherever he signs (us or another team) he will sign a very team friendly deal.
I've also said the same thing when he signed that deal. In fact I was one of the guys hoping for 8M x 8 years hahaha.
I can never get on board when players sign close to max deals. It has too much potential to fail as we can never see the future.
I prefer when players decide to win first at all cost and sign the big deals later

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I completely disagree. You can sign those 3 for 40M- but Nurse will have to go. You also already have Hyman, RNH signed long term. You will need some players on value contracts for sure- but saying they will never win a cup is massive hyperbole

Nurse is going anywhere, he has one of, if not THE, worst contracts in the entire league. He also has a full NMC. It's not happening.

I'd be pleasantly shocked if they signed at those numbers. I expect 16,14 and 10 respectively at minimum.

Then we never win a cup, barring some miracle.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
They would have taken more because they would have been offered more. These players including Perry, Hyman, Kane ,Ceci took less because that is all we had left in cap space. Holland might have kept a couple picks and got the Ekholm\Henrique without retention if there was cap space.
All I am saying is that we didnt lost game 7 because we didnt cheap out on McD and Drai deals.

so you think Foegele would sign for 1M if McDavid was making less? Or Nuge would take 3M per deal because Drai makes 7M instead of 8.5?
Do you think McLeod went I want 2.5M because McDavid makes 12.5?

I just dont buy this logic. This is not how things work.
By less I mean RNH taking 5M instead of 5.125M? His first deal was 6M so that's a discount

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
The team was comfortably in a playoff position well in time to LTIR Kane for the deadline.

And even if that was questionable Evander spent most/all of the season playing like hot ass

That's not true at all. They were in third in the Pacific at the beginning of March and could have finished no worse than 2WC because they were 9 points up on Calgary. Plus Kane wasn't doing jack all anyway.
And they were also trying to make sure they had home ice for the first round. We learned in the finals how much home ice matters. They were also hot on the Canucks tail for the division lead. They could not afford to lose a top 6 guy at that moment in time regardless if he was producing to his usual standards or not.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Skinner lost which games in the series which were directly his fault?
Game 3 perhaps even though all the goals were the highest of danger chances. Which other one? Game 7 when the team scored 1 goal or was it Games 1 and 2 when the team combined to score 1 goal? One can argue that he could have saved the Reinhart shot but, again, the team scored 2 total goals in 3 of their losses.

Yes, games 3 and 7. The other team managed to only allow 1 goal against, so why couldn't our goalie? On an absolutely terrible GA, that a junior B goalie stops 95% of the time.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Game 7 who scored for the Oilers?
That’s kind of the point. We lost. Our depth did everything it could. Our game breakers couldn’t get it done. Sucks they were both injured but you have to find a way. If either of our big guns has a good game we win the cup.

Reactions: oXo Cube

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

It was pretty clear by the middle of January that we were going to make the playoffs. Kane could have gotten the surgery and been back for the playoffs still at that point.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Yes, games 3 and 7. The other team managed to only allow 1 goal against, so why couldn't our goalie? On an absolutely terrible GA, that a junior B goalie stops 95% of the time.
meh, Skinner was fine in the finals and made huge stops in many elimination games. He almost cost us the VAN series though but was good enough otherwise.
For a team that is considered a 2 man team and PP merchants did a great job with those 2 banged up and pretty much neutralized.

Our PP cost us the cup more than our goalie.

Reactions: MessierII

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The NHL on the whole, and our results in particular, over the last 4-5 years would indicate otherwise

They really don't though. People just keep repeating this despite the evidence pointing to the contrary. Edmonton just came within one game of winning it all with a team that was like -15 when McDavid and/or Bouchard were not on the ice.

Florida won because Barkov and Forsling neutralized everyone else's top players. Vegas won because Eichel and Marchessault absolutely ranched every matchup they got given. Colorado won because MacKinnon - Makar - Rantanen is about as elite as it gets. Tampa bay, lol.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
That’s kind of the point. We lost. Our depth did everything it could. Our game breakers couldn’t get it done. Sucks they were both injured but you have to find a way. If either of our big guns has a good game we win the cup.
If Drai and Kane were healthier, we definitely win the cup. Next GM has to make the right moves because we easily have the core to get back there.

Skinner, Holloway and Broberg answered some long-term questions for us. Getting some of those elite PKers back would be huge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad