Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
People with nmc get moved all the time. But I can’t really see them asking him regardless. And if he’s actually good friends with McDavid and Draisaitl its even less likely. If hes going to be part of the team, then I really hope they have been doing rigorous job to find someone who compliments him. But good luck on figuring out who that player is. And good luck finding the cap space to pay that player because it’s probably expensive.

Name them then. Let's see how many had a $9.25 caphit with multiple years and was in a position where they didn't specifically wanted to move on.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Imagine we could magically swap out

Kane for Debrusk
Nurse for Skjei
Campbell+McLeod for Buchnevich
Sign Carrier

Re-sign Henrique, Janmark and Brown

:laugh:

Reactions: Sanchez

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Oilers played better defense in 6 of the 7 games including last night.

Yeah, easily played defense better in 4 or 5 of the games, and I could see the argument for 6.

And teams don’t comeback 3-0 in the SCFs since the 1940s but it happened. We were ONE game away with Stu backstopping this Cup Run. One game. And in a series where his save percentage and GAA was better than the other goalie. And it was also better than the other goalie in series prior.

You keep fixating on that one stat from the 1980s and think it means everything. Nah. How bout watch the games, know how the wins and losses happen, how all the goals happened, know the timeliness of the save. Put some brain power into and figure out what actually happened.

Maybe then you will have believed like Connor and the whole team did that they could win with Stu in net.

Well I did watch the games, and Stu lost 2 games in the finals for the team, full stop. Yes, he won 1 game as well, but if you are -1 due to goaltending, its a problem. Stu needed 1 more save in game 7, a relatively easy save at that, and didn't make it, and that was the difference in the series.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
No, I don’t refuse to give him credit for good games. I’m taking into account his entire playoffs.

.901 save percentage from a starter hasn’t won a cup since the 1980s. Newsflash, games 1-3 are just as important as games 4-7.

You have to know you’re grasping at straws when you’re trying to argue that Skinner had anything to do with an 8-1 win in game 4.

I'm a pretty big critic of Skinner, but he 100% was a big reason we won that 8-1. His early saves, while the game was still in question, were absolutely HUGE in that game. Need to give credit where credit is due.

In the very least I think I believe in Skinner much more now than I did before - partially because I think it's much more likely that by the time we're in the playoffs next year he's improved to the point where he's maybe more consistent.

But this year was very much so below par for the majority of the run, although I think it ultimately improved.

I'm still a little sour about the cup GWG. I feel like your goaltender really ought to have that most of the time. Just an uncontested muffin from out past the circles. Idk. I thought our D played the passing lanes and allowed the shot and tbh I think that's the correct play.

Ah well.

I do think Skinner with a budget 1B or strong 2A is doable for sure though. If he keeps improving just him alone is likely good enough - we were one goal away as it was with him.

And I say that as basically his biggest critic.

Yes, that is a save you need to make 100 times out of a 100. It was a pathetic goal against, and was one of the primary reasons we aren't celebrating a cup win right now.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I agree with regards to Connor. I feel that Seravalli is right with his suggestion that all three sign for $40M (including Bouchard), unless Leon feels that he wants to try being “the guy” on another team. Possible, but I don’t think so.

If they sign for $40 combines (say $10 for Bouch, $14 for Drai and $16 for Connor, or something like that), we might not make the playoffs again, let alone get to the cup. We'd only have ~$55M to fill out the rest of the roster of 20 players. That is assuming a 4% increase each year until the first year of Connor's new year in 26/27, bringing the cap to $95 M, and the increase might actually be less. $55M for 20 players means an average of $2.75M/player, but its actually worse than that. Hyman, RNH, Nurse are all signed long term for $18.8 between them, so you actually have $36.2 for 17 spots, or $2.13M/player.

If the Oilers, and McDrai themselves, are going to ever get back to a cup, they need to take discounts on their next contracts.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If they sign for $40 combines (say $10 for Bouch, $14 for Drai and $16 for Connor, or something like that), we might not make the playoffs again, let alone get to the cup. We'd only have ~$55M to fill out the rest of the roster of 20 players. That is assuming a 4% increase each year until the first year of Connor's new year in 26/27, bringing the cap to $95 M, and the increase might actually be less. $55M for 20 players means an average of $2.75M/player, but its actually worse than that. Hyman, RNH, Nurse are all signed long term for $18.8 between them, so you actually have $36.2 for 17 spots, or $2.13M/player.

If the Oilers, and McDrai themselves, are going to ever get back to a cup, they need to take discounts on their next contracts.
If McDavid had taken 10M or less. We'd probably won the cup or a few by now.

Drai would have probably taken 7M. We'd have $$ to not bridge Nurse and sign him to 5M x 8 years.

That would have been huge in the dead cap era.

I agree if McDavid signs 16M and Drai takes 14M. The Oilers won't be winning anything

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

I expect the increase to be more than the 4% you are suggesting. The CBA sets 5% as the limit unless both sides agree. This year the players may well get escrow dollars back even after the last of the deficit was paid off. Teh cap this year should probably be more like $95M without the pandemic restrictions. It would not surprise me if the cap for McDavid's first year was $100M.

For what it is worth I think the $40M is high. My guess would be McDavid $14.5M, Draisaitl $13M and Bouchard at $9.5M. That is $37M.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
All that belief and yet in game 7 we ended up with the 2nd best goalie in net who gave up a garbage goal as the game winner.

We’ve got people seriously trying to argue with a straight face Skinner was better than Bobrovsky.
SCF

Bobo
.882SV%
3.35GAA

Stu
.904SV%
2.36GAA

WCF

Oettinger
.888SV%
2.59GAA

Stu
.916SV%
1.96GAA

Everyone acknowledges he wasn't good during the first couple of series, despite having a few good games in them as well. But your assertion that he was shit and the worst player not just for the Oilers, but the worst goalie all the way through is just wrong. Statistically and factually.

But you keep doing you.

Last edited:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I expect the increase to be more than the 4% you are suggesting. The CBA sets 5% as the limit unless both sides agree. This year the players may well get escrow dollars back even after the last of the deficit was paid off. Teh cap this year should probably be more like $95M without the pandemic restrictions. It would not surprise me if the cap for McDavid's first year was $100M.

For what it is worth I think the $40M is high. My guess would be McDavid $14.5M, Draisaitl $13M and Bouchard at $9.5M. That is $37M.
Even at 14.5M, 13M and 9,5M, it's unlikely the Oiler would win anything. Our leaders have to leave more $$ on the table. It comes down to get paid or win the Stanley cup at this point

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
They just came within a hair of winning and with those numbers they could probably ice a better team if they are smart.
They came close with McDavid making 12.5M, Drai at 8,5M and Bouchard at 3.9M

If McDavid is serious about winning the cup and not just individual awards, he has to take a discount or keep the same 12.5M. I mean he's going to clear 200M by the same he's retired. The extra millions is going to do anything if he doesn't win a cup.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
They came close with McDavid making 12.5M, Drai at 8,5M and Bouchard at 3.9M
But the cap was also $83.5M not the likely $100M it could be. The Oilers this year have $5.5M in dead cap space that will come off the books next year. That pretty much covers Bouchard's raise.

Kane's deal comes off the books the year McDavid is up. While I still think he has value he was not a factor in the current final.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

If he can be signed for cheap, I take him. Replace him with Kane, and we sign a player who can hit like Kane with some scoring. He would work well with Draisaitl as his setup man.

Now that I think about it, it's too bad we couldn't do a Jeff SKinner for Jack Campbell trade. The buyout from Campbell would be better for them, and we could ask them to retain like 3.5M on his contract. Would have been a win for both teams.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
But the cap was also $83.5M not the likely $100M it could be. The Oilers this year have $5.5M in dead cap space that will come off the books next year. That pretty much covers Bouchard's raise.

Kane's deal comes off the books the year McDavid is up. While I still think he has value he was not a factor in the current final.
In McDavid's current deal, we missed the playoffs 3 times, got swept in the first round by the Jets, made the playoffs 4 times and the 4th time the Oilers make the finals. I'm happy we made the finals but that's not that great considering we have the 3rd best player of all time

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If he can be signed for cheap, I take him. Replace him with Kane, and we sign a player who can hit like Kane with some scoring. He would work well with Draisaitl as his setup man.
everyone forgets that Kane has a NMC and very little value outside of Edmonton. He doesnt want to go anywhere else and no one else wants him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad