Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
They really don't though. People just keep repeating this despite the evidence pointing to the contrary. Edmonton just came within one game of winning it all with a team that was like -15 when McDavid and/or Bouchard were not on the ice.

Florida won because Barkov and Forsling neutralized everyone else's top players. Vegas won because Eichel and Marchessault absolutely ranched every matchup they got given. Colorado won because MacKinnon - Makar - Rantanen is about as elite as it gets. Tampa bay, lol.
Take out the depth players. Vegas, Colorado and Florida would be a lottery team even with those elite players

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
If Drai and Kane were healthier, we definitely win the cup. Next GM has to make the right moves because we easily have the core to get back there.

Skinner, Holloway and Broberg answered some long-term questions for us. Getting some of those elite PKers back would be huge
I'll also add that Brown is a guy I really want back. Now that he has his legs and confidence again, I truly believe he can be a top 6 fill-in on some nights when needed.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If Drai and Kane were healthier, we definitely win the cup. Next GM has to make the right moves because we easily have the core to get back there.

Skinner, Holloway and Broberg answered some long-term questions for us. Getting some of those elite PKers back would be huge
or maybe if our coach had the balls to get a broken Drai off the top PP unit we could have won more games.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I've also said the same thing when he signed that deal. In fact I was one of the guys hoping for 8M x 8 years hahaha.
I can never get on board when players sign close to max deals. It has too much potential to fail as we can never see the future.
I prefer when players decide to win first at all cost and sign the big deals later

I understand the mid-tier players, and even the star, but not super-star, players going after money first and foremost. They have very short careers, and want to set their grandchildren up, let alone their kids. Go after that money man!

The generational players are completely different. What do people talk about when they talk about Dionne, Iginla, or Sundin? They talk about how they didn't win a cup. These are all first ballot hall of fame players, and yet the lack of cups hangs around their head. Hell, look at how Ovi was talked about until he finally won. We are talking about the greatest goal scorer in HISTORY, and the biggest talking point was the fact he hadn't won a cup. If McDavid cares about his legacy, he will sign a very friendly deal for his next contract. The fact that his family line is set for money for generations already, even if he never makes another single dollar, should play heavily into his thinking.

Seriously, stop and think about this. Even if he signed a CRAZY team friendly deal at like $2M/season x 8 years, his career earnings would still be around ~$225M by the time he retires. Even with 50% tax, that is ~$112M USD, or about $150M CAD after tax. That is already generational wealth.

Honestly, if I was in his shoes I would sign a 2-3 year deal at league minimum to try and have a 2-3 year window where my team had a really good chance of winning the cup. He would be 30-31 when that contract ended, and he could sign another large multi-year deal afterwards, and still end up making ~$250-275M in career earnings. I'm not kidding either, money doesn't matter at the end of the day, once you have that kind of wealth already. What you do in life is what matters, your legacy is what matters. Again, I am in my late 40s though, and am old enough to have started thinking about what really matters in life and what I want to be proud of when the end comes. I don't expect somebody in his late 20s to understand this line of thinking nearly as much.

Last edited:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
And they were also trying to make sure they had home ice for the first round. We learned in the finals how much home ice matters. They were also hot on the Canucks tail for the division lead. They could not afford to lose a top 6 guy at that moment in time regardless if he was producing to his usual standards or not.

That is a fair comment.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I understand the mid-tier players, and even the star, but not super-star, players going after money first and foremost. They have very short careers, and want to set their grandchildren up, let alone their kids. Go after that money man!

The generational players are completely different. What do people talk about when they talk about Dionne, Iginla, or Sundin? They talk about how they didn't win a cup. These are all first ballot hall of fame players, and yet the lack of cups hangs around their head. Hell, look at how Ovi was talked about until he finally won. We are talking about the greatest goal scorer in HISTORY, and the biggest talking point was the fact he hadn't won a cup. If McDavid cares about his legacy, he will sign a very friendly deal for his next contract. The fact that his family line is set for money for generations already, even if he never makes another single dollar, should play heavily into his thinking.

Seriously, stop and think about this. Even if he signed a CRAZY team friendly deal at like $2M/season x 8 years, his career earnings would still be around ~$225M by the time he retires. Even with 50% tax, that is ~$112M USD, or about $150M CAD after tax. That is already generational wealth.

Honestly, if I was in his shoes I would sign a 2-3 year deal at league minimum to try and have a 2-3 year window where my team had a really good chance of winning the cup. He would be 30-31 when that contract ended, and he could sign another large multi-year deal afterwards, and still end up making ~$250-275M in career earnings. I'm not kidding either, money doesn't matter at the end of the day, once you have that kind of wealth already. What you do in life is what matters, your legacy is what matters. Again, I am in my late 40s though, and am old enough to have started thinking about what really matters in life and what I want to be proud of when the end comes. I don't expect somebody in his late 20s to understand this line of thinking nearly as much.
2-3 years at league minimum is asking for too much lol.

I for one is only asking McDavid to do what Crosby did. Take the same AVV so that Drai is kind of force to take 12.5M as well which is still a large chunk of change. Bouchard at 9M which puts the 3 at 34M. This will help the Oilers moving forward. We can figure out the Nurse, Kane, Campbell situation down the road

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Thought would be more action around the league once the finals were over. I mean draft is in like 2 days and free agency is 2 days after that. Come on GM’s.

Get some guys signed or traded or something.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
After seeing these playoffs, I'd steer way clear of any players like him.

You really need guys willing to battle in every spot.

Not sure it really works like that honestly. Bouchard isn’t really a “battler” and he had a great playoffs. Rodrigues was probably Floridas most effective forward in the finals and he’s not exactly ball buster. Jake DeBrusk etc.

I am not advocating for JSkinner necessarily but this team should be looking to add some talent if its affordable.

But McLeod was buttery soft so what you saying isn’t wrong either.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
After seeing these playoffs, I'd steer way clear of any players like him.

You really need guys willing to battle in every spot.

Yeah could see that - guys like Arvidsson would be guys I target first, but continuously adding guys who can finish at low costs is never a bad thing. Especially when we are playing guys like Holloway, Kane, Perry and Foegele regularly in the top 6.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
2-3 years at league minimum is asking for too much lol.

I for one is only asking McDavid to do what Crosby did. Take the same AVV so that Drai is kind of force to take 12.5M as well which is still a large chunk of change. Bouchard at 9M which puts the 3 at 34M. This will help the Oilers moving forward. We can figure out the Nurse, Kane, Campbell situation down the road

Oh I 100% get that he would never do so, my point is that is what I personally would do. Again, I'm old, lol, and have been lucky enough to make progressively more and more money (nothing like NHL players of course) in my career, and the more money I make, the less I care about making more of it. I personally have realized that its not very important to me compared to many, many other things. I would not have believed this was possible when I was 27 like McDavid is now. Money doesn't matter, what you do with your life and the things you accomplish, the legacy you leave in your actions, your children, etc, is what matters.

So no, I don't think McDavid will take league minimum for a few years like I would, but if I was his father, the advice I would be giving him is exactly as I have been writing on this forum. Exactly, word for word.

Reactions: Canovin

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Oh I 100% get that he would never do so, my point is that is what I personally would do. Again, I'm old, lol, and have been lucky enough to make progressively more and more money (nothing like NHL players of course) in my career, and the more money I make, the less I care about making more of it. I personally have realized that its not very important to me compared to many, many other things. I would not have believed this was possible when I was 27 like McDavid is now. Money doesn't matter, what you do with your life and the things you accomplish, the legacy you leave in your actions, your children, etc, is what matters.

So no, I don't think McDavid will take league minimum for a few years like I would, but if I was his father, the advice I would be giving him is exactly as I have been writing on this forum. Exactly, word for word.
I'm nearing that age and I agree with you 100%.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Thought would be more action around the league once the finals were over. I mean draft is in like 2 days and free agency is 2 days after that. Come on GM’s.

Get some guys signed or traded or something.
NHL is paying lots of money to host the draft at the Vegas Sphere. I would not be surprised if the league told all parties to hold announcing any impending trades until the broadcast so the league gets maximum bang for their bucks.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yes, games 3 and 7. The other team managed to only allow 1 goal against, so why couldn't our goalie? On an absolutely terrible GA, that a junior B goalie stops 95% of the time.
Junior B goalies don't stop NHL 57 goal scorers from a prime scoring position nevermind 95% of the time. That's just silly talk. Sure it was stoppable but it wasn't THAT soft of a goal like you're implying.
I can point to at least 2-3 Bobrovsky goals that shouldn't gone in either, it happens. When your team only scores 1 goal and your goalie only gives up 2, he's not the main culprit

Reactions: Faelko

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Junior B goalies don't stop NHL 57 goal scorers from a prime scoring position nevermind 95% of the time. That's just silly talk. Sure it was stoppable but it wasn't THAT soft of a goal like you're implying.
I can point to at least 2-3 Bobrovsky goals that shouldn't gone in either, it happens. When your team only scores 1 goal and your goalie only gives up 2, he's not the main culprit
The 3-0 goal he gave up in game 5 was laughably bad.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I've also said the same thing when he signed that deal. In fact I was one of the guys hoping for 8M x 8 years hahaha.
I can never get on board when players sign close to max deals. It has too much potential to fail as we can never see the future.
I prefer when players decide to win first at all cost and sign the big deals later
Players want to maximize their market value, winning Cups is a distant 2nd. It's really mostly about the money and where their family wants to reside.
Only the very special ones like Brady in the NFL, Crosby and McDavid are likely to take a paycut to help the team and, make no mistake, McDavid getting $16m/yr would be a paycut because he could get so much more if he wanted. Drai and Bouchard are going to squeeze every dime they can from the Oilers and that's their right.

The reality is that Game 7 and next season was/is their best shot at a Cup. Doesn't mean they can't thereafter but it will be exceedingly more difficult.

Reactions: TB12

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Players want to maximize their market value, winning Cups is a distant 2nd. It's really mostly about the money and where their family wanted to reside.
Only the very special ones like Brady in the NFL, Crosby and McDavid are likely to take a paycut to help the team and, make no mistake, McDavid getting $16m/yr would be a paycut because he could get so much more if he wanted. Drai and Bouchard are going to squeeze every dime they can from the Oilers and that's their right.
It's funny you brought up Brady. He essentially took half the pay and decided he can become a legend with 7 rings and make more money in his retirement. Unless McDavid takes half off like 8M. There's no comparison.

I've said this before, the guys can take whatever they want. Fans have no control over it. It's their legacy and how they want to write it. All individual awards and no cups?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad