Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

OilerFanInLangley

Oct 2, 2023
1. The Oilers need to trade away 6 fwds to get one guy who can throw a bodycheck. It was painful to see how many times they should have laid the body today but they skated in and swiped at the puck.
2. McLeod needs to carry the puck more.
3. I'm excited to see Broberg play a full season next year.
4. It was piss-poor bench management to give McDavid and Draisaitl an extra-long shift circa the 55-minute mark. They had nothing left when it came down to the 6-on-5, when we really needed them.
5. The same thing that happened with 29 and 97 at the end of the game today ALWAYS happens in reg season OT: MacDavid and Drai play from the puck drop until they're so tired that they couldn't defend against 3 determined bantam-aged players. It's either win in the first minute or lose in the 3rd every time.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Nuge - McDavid - Hyman
Kane - Draisaitl - Holloway???
Janmark - Henrique - Foegle???
Bourgault - xxx - xxx

Ekholm - Bouchard
Broberg - xxx
Nurse - xxx

Skinner
xxx

Just from the looks of it, not too much retooling would be needed, biggest need of course would be a solid 1B to Skinner and a top 4D. Fourth line can be young guys from AHL. Need to start playing young guys to see what we have. Broberg and Holloway looked good at times, but still somewhat raw. More regular season experience will help them along. Nurse, sadly, we are stuck with and should play on 3rd. If Foegle goes, then we need another grinder, and hopefully one without stone hands. Would like to see how Lavoie does next year.

Campbell can be bought out. Sounds like McDavid and Drai will sign (rumours still), so a suggested Nurse buyout would hurt too much to do it now. He's the biggest issue and should have very sheltered minutes from now on.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Nurse goes nowhere without heavy +'s heading to that team and with his blessing. Just figure on him being the weak link on D and try to have 5 or 6D better than the last version that we saw of him. If he rebounds then we have an awesome D. Looking forward to a full season of Broberg.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
Campbell is getting bought out on Wednesday forsure

definitely bring back Janmark and Brown, Henrique will probably be difficult to keep, but they should try

Foegele is going to be too expensive to keep.

Broberg played himself into a decent little raise

Ceci and Kulak still have term so unless they can find a trading partner I don't know how different our D will look tbh. On the plus side Broberg and Nurse seem to work together pretty well

They need to try to get Draisaitl a winger

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
They need the same things they've needed for a while. A legitimate top 6 winger and a legitimate top 4 defenseman. If Kane continues to be unable to heal up they might actually need 2 wingers.

Unfortunately they'll probably also need to find a 3rd line this summer.

OilerFanInLangley

Oct 2, 2023
Oh yeah... Skinner.

No thanks. I've never seen a goalie give up so many goals on the first 5 shots of a game. I swear his sv% is .600 on shots 1 through 5 throughout the regular season and playoffs.

I think the Oilers would be a much better team in front of a more reliable goalie.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
There is legitimately an argument to be made that Nurse can actually sit in the press box. I thought his contract was terrible day one, but he went from serviceable to outright AHL level.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

Kirby

Sponsor
Jan 31, 2009
Edmonton
Honestly? The only hope of icing an extremely deep team moving forward is McDavid & Draisaitl pulling a Crosby...resigning at their current rates (Draisaitl can go up to $10M).

If they resign at max deals (which I understand why they would deserve to), then it will be a miracle to find the balance with slim pickings from the bargain bin moving forward

OilerFanInLangley

Oct 2, 2023
Corey Perry was a bust. It never seemed like he could be relied on to do anything well, and he never disappointed in that regard.
Yeah, he got that one goal, but most players in the league would score a goal in that many minutes.

Reactions: McDoused

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Nurse goes nowhere without heavy +'s heading to that team and with his blessing. Just figure on him being the weak link on D and try to have 5 or 6D better than the last version that we saw of him. If he rebounds then we have an awesome D. Looking forward to a full season of Broberg.
Utah could take them. I think Shea Weber is their only D under contract.

Honestly? The only hope of icing an extremely deep team moving forward is McDavid & Draisaitl pulling a Crosby...resigning at their current rates (Draisaitl can go up to $10M).

If they resign at max deals (which I understand why they would deserve to), then it will be a miracle to find the balance with slim pickings from the bargain bin moving forward
The current talk is Draisaitl, McDavid and Bouchard will come in at around 40mill

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Despite the praise for Holloway when he plays well… I’m just not sure he’s gonna be a solution on this team.

He better have a hell of a season next year.

Kirby

Sponsor
Jan 31, 2009
Edmonton
The current talk is Draisaitl, McDavid and Bouchard will come in at around 40mill
I've heard that too. And unfortunately, that essentially means we can kiss our depth goodbye.

By the time the cap catches up, both will be 30+ years old. Guess the individual records will be the memories I'll need to cherish. On pace for extremely disappointing.

Reactions: InTheBox

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad