Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Where's the Beef?

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I feel like Broberg saw the Oilers make room for Bouchard by trading Barrie and felt like they should have done the same with him.

The thing is Bouchard showed he had the ability to take over the offense from the back end which made Barrie expendable.

Broberg didn’t show an ability to replace any of our LD.
All the Oilers had to do was ship f***ing Kulak out. Then the money and the roster spot are both available for Broberg. All management needed to do was be remotely f***ing competent and a little f***ing proactive. f***ING KULAK. Think about that. I certainly did, for f***ing years on end. f*** Kulak. f*** Kulak fans.

Who wins the Norris first, Bouchard or Broberg. This place is a nightmare. A literal nightmare.

We gave up on a potential top pairing defenceman for a second rounder and the continued mediocrity from Brett f***ing Kulak.
What Broberg ends up as remains to be seen, but the real unforced error was giving away Kesselring. Right shot NHL 2nd pair Dman who’s been in Arizona/Utah’s lineup since the day we traded him for Bujugstad. And all the AHL reporters/scouts hated that trade from day 1 because they said he was our most NHL ready defensive prospect at the time.
Kesselring will never be a Broberg level player but he would have been an excellent partner for Broberg... imagine the size and speed of that pairing.

Oilers had everything in place for a dynasty, not just one cup. A f***ING DYNASTY.

f*** Chiarelli. f*** Holland. f*** Jackson. f*** Bowman. f*** this fake ass league.

f*** gang gang, these are subversive bastards. I hope all non-gang gang can see that now.

Jan 13, 2023
What Broberg ends up as remains to be seen, but the real unforced error was giving away Kesselring. Right shot NHL 2nd pair Dman who’s been in Arizona/Utah’s lineup since the day we traded him for Bujugstad. And all the AHL reporters/scouts hated that trade from day 1 because they said he was our most NHL ready defensive prospect at the time.
Forgot about him.. Goddamn dude.. everything hurts 😩

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Seeing McLeod score a goal in 3 straight games and Broberg with a point in his first 6 games with St. Louis playing 21+ minutes last night while the Oilers bumble their way out of the gate is not fun I must admit. Broberg was always the player I felt a real loss with this offseason, the others are fairly inconsequential, but seeing him blossom into a top 4 Dman elsewhere for the next however many years is gonna be rough.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
All the Oilers had to do was ship f***ing Kulak out. Then the money and the roster spot are both available for Broberg. All management needed to do was be remotely f***ing competent and a little f***ing proactive. f***ING KULAK. Think about that. I certainly did, for f***ing years on end. f*** Kulak. f*** Kulak fans.

Who wins the Norris first, Bouchard or Broberg. This place is a nightmare. A literal nightmare.

We gave up on a potential top pairing defenceman for a second rounder and the continued mediocrity from Brett f***ing Kulak.

Kesselring will never be a Broberg level player but he would have been an excellent partner for Broberg... imagine the size and speed of that pairing.

Oilers had everything in place for a dynasty, not just one cup. A f***ING DYNASTY.

f*** Chiarelli. f*** Holland. f*** Jackson. f*** Bowman. f*** this fake ass league.

f*** gang gang, these are subversive bastards. I hope all non-gang gang can see that now.
You need to put 10 bucks in the swear jar.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Seeing McLeod score a goal in 3 straight games and Broberg with a point in his first 6 games with St. Louis playing 21+ minutes last night while the Oilers bumble their way out of the gate is not fun I must admit. Broberg was always the player I felt a real loss with this offseason, the others are fairly inconsequential, but seeing him blossom into a top 4 Dman elsewhere for the next however many years is gonna be rough.
Not fun but not unexpected either. Seeing Kesselring do well is just another knife in the gut. Ken Holland masterclass.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
That one never made sense to me. He showed well at a bunch of camps, was doing really well in the AHL and looked like he was ready for a call-up.

That's not the type of prospect you add into a deal as a throw-in. That should have been some U20 prospect in junior or a guy struggling in the AHL.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

It’s tough for sure. The Oilers have squandered many young valuable assets while getting older and worse. The key to building and maintaining a Championship roster is to identify a core group of players who can provide elite play (which we have done but unfortunately overpaid to high heaven). Supplement that with a mix of vets AS well as some spots for younger players to prove themselves. Giving young players a few minutes per night before press boxing and sending down to the farm isn’t going to do anything for their development. The Oilers are one of the worst teams in this regard.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
I feel like Broberg saw the Oilers make room for Bouchard by trading Barrie and felt like they should have done the same with him.

The thing is Bouchard showed he had the ability to take over the offense from the back end which made Barrie expendable.

Broberg didn’t show an ability to replace any of our LD.
Such a classic dumb take! Never change HF. Guess if he was a good ol' canadian boy it would be different.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Oilers process is good; top 10 defence even. It's the goaltending, finishing and special teams that are killing them. They are getting PDOd some kind of miserably. The finishing and Special Teams in particular can improve a ton. Still think we would be doing better if our goalies weren't playing so poorly.

Wouldn't be a GSAA chart without an Oilers goalie or both near the bottom.

Holland would have got Broberg and Holloway signed.

We were a period away from a cup and Jackson blew it up.

Holland also left us with like $6.5 million in unsuable dead cap and overpaid Nurse by 2 million.

We were always going to lose some players because of his cap mismanagement.

Also roster turn over happens to every team especially those that make the Finals, what are you going to do? Give up because of it? Florida lost like 6-7 players and half their blue line.

Last edited:
Reactions: McAsuno

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I really think getting Kostin back would cover a large part of the Holloway loss. He can score in our system and is more physical, can fight, likes the city, has speed, former 1st round pick and is still only 25 years old for a team that has too many 30+ players and the cost of reacquiring him wouldn't be that high.

For a team that's let multiple 20 somethings walk out the door, what's wrong with getting one back that we poached from another team that actually worked out?

Also asking Evander Kane to come off like 6 different surgeries to step back into the roster and do all the physical stuff right away (he may not even be back until the playoffs pretty likely), isn't exactly fair either.

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011
Such a classic dumb take! Never change HF. Guess if he was a good ol' canadian boy it would be different.

Honestly, this is the dumb take. If anything, Broberg would have had an inside track due to management drafting the player. Putting up 43 points in his 22 year old season probably didn’t hurt (vs Broberg struggling to make the team yet again for his 22 year old season).

Reactions: North

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019

Oilers process is good; top 10 defence even. It's the goaltending, finishing and special teams that are killing them. They are getting PDOd some kind of miserably. The finishing and Special Teams in particular can improve a ton. Still think we would be doing better if our goalies weren't playing so poorly.
I can’t even fathom what it would be like to have a guy like Shestorkin in net every game knowing that majority of the time he will just be solid and will make stops when needed. And more then often straight up steal hockey games

Reactions: McAsuno

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Skinner as I've said a million times is not the answer. Not consistent. Rarely if ever steals games.

If he takes no steps forward in his game and continues to remain a mediocre goalie for GSAA, yeah think we'd have to look for a 3rd goalie.

Maybe even taking a flyer on a guy like Lukas Dostal (I recall he stoned us hard one game). At least give yourself an option.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I can’t even fathom what it would be like to have a guy like Shestorkin in net every game knowing that majority of the time he will just be solid and will make stops when needed. And more then often straight up steal hockey games

We'd have 1 or 2 Cups already with a goalie like that.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Who are some RHD candidates to pair with Nurse long term? Ideally we pull off something similar to the Ekholm trade and get a solid RHD for 3+ years out of the deal.

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
Honestly, this is the dumb take. If anything, Broberg would have had an inside track due to management drafting the player. Putting up 43 points in his 22 year old season probably didn’t hurt (vs Broberg struggling to make the team yet again for his 22 year old season).
Poor asset management. Over and over and over again.

Never been this disinterested in the team. Fells like blackhawks after they singed a bunch of old guys to mega contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad