Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Where's the Beef?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Watching Broberg develop and blossom right b4 our eyes in St.Louis and were stuck with AHL material player on our 2nd pairing. leaves a sour taste in mouth. Anyone saying Stecher looks better than Ceci should have thier heads examined. Emberson is also not the answer.
Stecher is not just better than Ceci, he’s significantly better than Ceci.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If only he earned a spot out of camp the 3 previous camps so that we knew exactly what we had in him over a full season. Instead he shit the bed.
Tough to earn a spot out of camp when you have Ekholm, Nurse and Kulak all ahead of you under contract for significant money.

The team screwed up with Broberg when they didn’t move Kulak after the 22-23 season. He had played more than half a season and playoff games. He was ready to play full time last year but the team didn’t make room for him.

• Haha
Reactions: Senor Catface

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
Yes and no. I still don't know wth is going on with #93 and Podkolzin has been game but just doesn't seem to fit anywhere given how Knob chooses to use our bottom six. J. Skinner is coming around which is great and RV is a consummate pro so no concerns on those two, but we badly need some chemistry to emerge in that middle six... oh, and a right shot D to find their home next to Nurse.

Really the big issue is that the other Skinner has been our worst player, which you just can't have out of that player/position. If he shits the bed again in Dallas I don't know what you do though outside of (finally) firing Schwartz and hoping a fresh voice can turn him around mentally. I don't see a sub $1M goalie coming up on waivers who would last to us AND be an improvement.
i do agree, the team, and a fair number or it's parts are not in top form at this point, but I do feel that I've seen positive signs from most. 93 has probably been the worst so far this year, with no signs of coming out of it. I find it hard to believe that RNH won't get back to the player that he's been for the last decade. Stu Skinner needs to find a way to be more consistent, that's his and a whole lot of goalie's issue too. The Oil don't need Stu to be a .930 world beater type goalie, what they need is a solid .910, dependable guy, I hope Stu can be that guy. At his current cap hit, he's worth every penny and then some, so it's hard to complain about Stu. I think the team is going in the right direction now, Dallas is gonna be a good test.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Tough to earn a spot out of camp when you have Ekholm, Nurse and Kulak all ahead of you under contract for significant money.

The team screwed up with Broberg when they didn’t move Kulak after the 22-23 season. He had played more than half a season and playoff games. He was ready to play full time last year but the team didn’t make room for him.

Dude, you said Broberg was basically a bust this time last year. Don't revise.

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022

ya, that was a major turning point for sure. Broberg had every reason to want to look for another organization, he was mishandled a few ways by this team, and unfortunately, now the Oilers will have to see him succeed with another organization. I don't think he's a future Norris winner, but I wouldn't be shocked if he's a top pairing D man for the next 10 to 12 years.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Something to keep an eye on for the Oilers, maybe a spot to "steal" an over looked young player in a spot they could really use one.

I don't who Nick is, but yes, this is an issue with Jiracek not really getting a look, he gets his first game of the year tomorrow.

Reactions: McHelpus

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

He looked passable at times and like a deer in headlights for a lot more time. He didn't outplay Desharnais until the last season. To keep him at $4.? million we would've needed to move Ceci and Kulak and ran bare bones on the 3rd pairing. He wanted to leave and his agent likely went hunting for an offersheet. The worst part of it is that he dragged Holloway into it as well. Straight up Broberg can f*** himself, not because he took the bag but because he didn't earn the bag here in spite of being given so many chances to do so and even then he was still bitter and wanted out.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Dude, you said Broberg was basically a bust this time last year. Don't revise.
Here’s what I said about Broberg last year before the season started:

Broberg could step in today and replace the ~15 minutes a night that Kulak is going to get playing on the 3rd pairing and we wouldn’t even notice a difference. And you’d save nearly $2m in cap space that could go towards fixing the right side which is a mess outside of Bouchard on the 2nd pair.

He looked passable at times and like a deer in headlights for a lot more time. He didn't outplay Desharnais until the last season. To keep him at $4.? million we would've needed to move Ceci and Kulak and ran bare bones on the 3rd pairing. He wanted to leave and his agent likely went hunting for an offersheet. The worst part of it is that he dragged Holloway into it as well. Straight up Broberg can f*** himself, not because he took the bag but because he didn't earn the bag here in spite of being given so many chances to do so and even then he was still bitter and wanted out.
He wanted to leave because the Oilers jerked him around all last season and never once prioritized his development.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Something to keep an eye on for the Oilers, maybe a spot to "steal" an over looked young player in a spot they could really use one.

I don't who Nick is, but yes, this is an issue with Jiracek not really getting a look, he gets his first game of the year tomorrow.

Broberg for Jiricek……..oh wait….change that to a 2nd and Fischer for Jiricek.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Broberg could step in today and replace the ~15 minutes a night that Kulak is going to get playing on the 3rd pairing and we wouldn’t even notice a difference. And you’d save nearly $2m in cap space that could go towards fixing the right side which is a mess outside of Bouchard on the 2nd pair.

He wanted to leave because the Oilers jerked him around all last season and never once prioritized his development.
He looked like absolute crap in the preseason and was outplayed by Gleason let alone Kulak. He probably needed that last year in the AHL to get to where he is today. Sometimes shit happens.

Reactions: Burnt Biscuits

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

This isn't some gotcha. I only brought this up because I remember you said he was basically a bust.

From November 2023.

Bourgault and Broberg are far closer to bust territory than 1st round territory. It’s sunk cost fallacy. If all it takes to dump that albatross of a contract is a 1st rounder and a couple fringe prospects, make it happen.

That's not really super glowing comments about him compared to "he's ready to be on the team" right?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
This isn't some gotcha. I only brought this up because I remember you said he was basically a bust.

From November 2023.

That's not really super glowing comments about him compared to "he's ready to be on the team" right?

Who said anything about glowing comments? All I said was he was ready to be a full time bottom pair D-man, which he was, which would have saved the team cap space and would have prevented the team from souring the relationship.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad