Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: "Wheat Kings and Pretty Things, Let's See What The Expansion Draft Brings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Was wondering about this since Price is due his $11M signing bonus in September apparently. Is July 1st just the first day a club can elect to pay the bonus?

I assumed so for the longest time. But I learned in 2019 that Marleau's bonuses weren't paid in full until the fall - like November/early December. Then I heard about Lucic (also mentioned above) and ya - it appears July 1st is first day and most teams use it but others use other days. Not sure why.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Seattle could get some great assets if they flipped price and retained 3.5M or so for the 5 years. Unless they think they can go full Vegas and contend immediately, I think they could have a good bidding war for a retained Price among the wanna-be contender teams in the league.

teams can only retain on 3 contracts at one time

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Interesting response on twitter to Tarasenko--I think people are over looking his last 2 seasons and are hung up on previous glory. We do not know how bad his injury is and for 7.5? I would be concerned if I was on the team getting him

Reactions: Vagabond

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
They've taken a bath during the pandemic and they were missing payments to hotels and shit before all that.

That's news to me. I'd love to hear more.

I agree this could probably stay in the Keith thread but I've seen a bunch of comments suggesting the Oilers had all the leverage. I don't know for certain - you may be right. Some one else as well. My belief from what I've read is the Hawks were prepared for either scenario - Keith staying and Keith leaving. And they were prepared to live with either.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
That's news to me. I'd love to hear more.

I agree this could probably stay in the Keith thread but I've seen a bunch of comments suggesting the Oilers had all the leverage. I don't know for certain - you may be right. Some one else as well. My belief from what I've read is the Hawks were prepared for either scenario - Keith staying and Keith leaving. And they were prepared to live with either.

It could be that they were willing to go back to him and say "we tried to place you there and couldn't" but I have a real hard time seeing it. Someone asks you for a trade to be closer to family, you do that. I guess it took the Islanders a full year to give Hamonic essentially the same move.

As for the Oilers not paying a hotel thing, they got sued for it last year.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

giphy.gif

Meanwhile Kassian hasn't been 'on' in awhile

BigTime99

Mar 27, 2014
Interesting response on twitter to Tarasenko--I think people are over looking his last 2 seasons and are hung up on previous glory. We do not know how bad his injury is and for 7.5? I would be concerned if I was on the team getting him

I would take him. Has had the proper shoulder surgery now. Will be healthy. The guy is the type of sniper oilers need.
It kinda reminds me of the hoffman situation where oilers fans were worried hoffman wife was going to beat up mcdavid, nurse, draisaitl gfs. But since then zero complaints about hoffmans wife and 82 goals that the oilers could have used for cheap to acquire winger.

But hey, i guess it better to overpay and overterm guys like hyman, hall, landeskog.

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
The Kassian thing is so frustrating but the more I think about it, the more I think is why Archibald over Benson if you are determined to protect Kassian? Kassian I get people want to argue the importance of his style of play and when he's on blah, blah, blah, but what the hell does Archibald even bring that you can't replace at league minimum.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

That's like saying Klefbom brings more to the table than Bear when he's healthy.

But honestly that's besides the point and I don't think Gregor really gets that. It's not about whether or not Kassian brings more to the table than Benson. It's about whether Kassian brings more to the table than the $3.2M you'd free up in the off chance he was selected.

ilovetheshowlost

Sep 8, 2016
It's always a little deflating when your team doesn't make trades, BUT, I will be pretty excited if Hall comes back. Gotta imagine the first game at home with a crowd would be pretty special with Hall back!

Reactions: The Safe Play

North

Jun 25, 2009
The Kassian thing is so frustrating but the more I think about it, the more I think is why Archibald over Benson if you are determined to protect Kassian? Kassian I get people want to argue the importance of his style of play and when he's on blah, blah, blah, but what the hell does Archibald even bring that you can't replace at league minimum.

Archibald is one of the few forwards we have that takes the body regularly.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
That's like saying Klefbom brings more to the table than Bear when he's healthy.

But honestly that's besides the point and I don't think Gregor really gets that. It's not about whether or not Kassian brings more to the table than Benson. It's about whether Kassian brings more to the table than the $3.2M you'd free up in the off chance he was selected.

That's what majority of the Oilers media can never understand. Idk how Benson will do, but the extra cap space we would free up if Kassian got taken would allow the Oilers to bring in much more better players.
But nah, MOAR TOUGHNESS AND SIZE of a player who hasn't done jack since he re-signed a new contract.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
When Kassian is on = when he is playing with mcdavid, just like last year once again, they stick him back with mcdavid at the end of the year and all of a suddenly it is ; oh he is finding his game.

Stick Benson on mcdavids wing for 30 games and everyone and his dog will be praising his great play.

Kassian sucks unless given gold plated mcdavidmintues. Miss a chance to actually shed a mistake contract or at least protect a still useful player.

Reactions: space321
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad