Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: "Wheat Kings and Pretty Things, Let's See What The Expansion Draft Brings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Last time the Habs gave away a franchise goalie it worked out pretty well for them. ;)

Great opportunity for Seattle. Marketing dream.

That's got to feel like a backhanded slap to the face for Price. He carried them to a cup final. Kucherov's rank breath hasn't even dissipated from the brim of the cup and Bergevin is asking Price to waive his NMC for expansion.

On the other hand, I'm sure they wouldn't blindside Price like that and this discussion took place a while ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: bellagiobob

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
you have the lost the plot junior. Comparing Ladd to Keith to like comparing me to Leonardo DiCaprio--just does not work.

Keith will be a good fit to the team, whether you like it or not

NO one is happy we gave up a pick--but Keith bring stuff that we have missed--leadership and experience--

and before you say he is done

Duncan Keith

he played a lot last season on a bad team and that has hurt his numbers--with the oilers he wont be asked to be the number 1 D--Nurse has that job and Keith is more than likely to play with Larsson(just a guess)--

How many games did Ladd play in the NHL this season? 1 game?
The best case scenario would be giving up a 2nd instead of a 3rd.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Not to mention Kuznetsov and Stamkos rumored to be available. Seattle has a genuine shot at being a great team. Their defense took a hit though with a lot of the moves that have happened.
Stamkos is not available, they didn't ask him to waive the NMC.
And Kuznetsov is not gonna be exposed, he is available for trade, not expansion draft

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Man that Goodrow contract is going to be terrible.

Don't know what it is yet but I know it'll be an overpay. He is a good third liner but guys going to probably get 4+ over like 6 years, it's gonna f*** the value up league wide too for wingers

Reactions: Oilhawks

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Not to mention Kuznetsov and Stamkos rumored to be available. Seattle has a genuine shot at being a great team. Their defense took a hit though with a lot of the moves that have happened.
If they decided to try to sign Landeskog in free agency, this would be pretty decent:

Landeskog-Kuznetsov-Tarasenko
Domi-Stamkos-Eberle

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

Don't know what it is yet but I know it'll be an overpay. He is a good third liner but guys going to probably get 4+ over like 6 years, it's gonna f*** the value up league wide too for wingers
If u check out salary geek, he hasn’t made big money over the years. I thought he played really good in the playoffs, he gonna wanna get paid. I bet he gets @3-3.5 per year at least

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
It's not so much losing Benson, but more so protecting Kassian for no good reason

I'm praying Holland leaves Kassian exposed and he gets claimed. That 3.2M cap space in this current free agency climate (flat cap, UFAs getting less) would be huge
Hoping an exposed Kassian gets picked is assuming that Francis is incompetent, it's a possibility, but not an overly likely one and wishful thinking alone doesn't seem like a proper reason to get mad.

The way I look at it is our 2 most likely guys to get claimed are Benson and Lagesson, if we "protect" Kassian when we shouldn't it's like tossing out Benson as bait to get them to take him over Lagesson. These two I value fairly similarly, Benson has the higher upside, but IMO has a lower probability of playing in the NHL and Lagesson is lower upside, but is more likely to play in the NHL for a number of years.

I know the default on this board is prioritize protecting the higher upside player particularly when they are the younger of the two, but given that one is a forward and one is a D the usual expectation is a forward should of broken into the NHL by the time they are 24 and a d-man should of broken into the NHL by the time they are 26 if they are likely to amount to something (there are some exceptions ofcourse, but a reasonable general rule) and at this time both guys are one year from reaching that arbitrary cutoff window.

At present this team only has 5 forwards and 2 D that are truly worth protecting as long as they are protected no one Seattle takes should sting all that much.

Reactions: North

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
That's got to feel like a backhanded slap to the face for Price. He carried them to a cup final. Kucherov's rank breath hasn't even dissipated from the brim of the cup and Bergevin is asking Price to waive his NMC for expansion.

On the other hand, I'm sure they wouldn't blindside Price like that and this discussion took place a whole ago.

There are times I think Bergy is a genius. Other times I think he is a fool. Sometimes in the same day. ;)

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Price's chance at a Hart trophy if Seattle would make the playoffs...

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
He was hot in last years playoffs and play-in as well as the 2017 playoffs.

Marc Andre Fleury didn't dress for back-to-back Cup runs for the Penguins and the Golden Knights are happy with their selection.

I guess it'll boil down to who's available from Montreal.
Was just going to post this, maf was on the outs and vegas got a more than solid starter right off the bat. Nothing makes a team competitive quicker than a very reliable if not great goalie.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
What difference would waiting have made in this scenario? Bowman is protecting Jones instead of Keith. There wasn’t an extra dman on the hawks that they were worried about losing like everyone was suggesting, so the ED deadline doesn’t change a thing for Bowman. Instead of Jones he would have protected Keith. Instead of Keith we would have protected Jones.
Waiting would have put more pressure on Chicago to maybe retain salary or take out that pick. Because, we would had more options than just Keith, and Chicago kind of had to trade him to us.

The only defense is that Keith just is that good and we wouldnt want to miss out on this opportunity rather than see him traded to Seattle or Calgary. I'm skeptical of that but I'm open to being wrong

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Was just going to post this, maf was on the outs and vegas got a more than solid starter right off the bat. Nothing makes a team competitive quicker than a very reliable if not great goalie.
Eastern teams don't care cause the new team is in the east

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Kuznetsov is not a big surprise cause Washington wants to move on from him. Stamkos though.
Any updates on the lists? I’m half in the bag shooting darts in garage watching Bucks Suns game. Never thought I would like basketball but I got into it when Raps won. I don’t watch all the time, only big games

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
Waiting would have put more pressure on Chicago to maybe retain salary or take out that pick. Because, we would had more options than just Keith, and Chicago kind of had to trade him to us.

The only defense is that Keith just is that good and we wouldnt want to miss out on this opportunity rather than see him traded to Seattle or Calgary. I'm skeptical of that but I'm open to being wrong
I see what you mean but in regards to the ED deadline, I’m not sure it would have made any difference. If Bowman had protected another D today, I’d agree that the pressure would have been on him to give in a little. But instead it likely would have just continued to be a stalemate.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG

I honestly don't believe Chicago was under great fire to trade Keith. They are facing about $7.6M in cap penalties if Keith retires early. If he played at least one more season with them that number reduces to $4.3M. Bowman must've felt he was still useful and if I was him I'd be leary of those cap recapture penalties. Right now Chicago will owe $5.5M and $2.2M in dead cap space if he retires at seasons end. They are assuming a lot of risk on this.

The only way the Oilers had leverage is if Keith threatened to retire if he wasn't traded to the Oilers for next to nothing. But he's got friends on that team, he's worked with Bowman for years. I can't imagine he'd want to burn his reputation down over this.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

The numbers getting thrown around are absolutely bonkers. I absolutely respect how much he's worked to get the the point he's at in his career. But there is no way in hell that he's a $3m player and he's about to get term.

Give me Granlund, give me Ullmark, give me Larsson and sprinkle in a couple one-year bottom six guys. We need to stay away from the top end of this UFA class. It's gonna be ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad