Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | What Do Our RFA's Sign For Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Do Our RFA's Get?

• Bouchard 1 Year up to $3 million

• Bouchard 1 Year $3-4 million

• Bouchard 1 Year Over $4 million

• Bouchard 2 Years <$3.5 million AAV

• Bouchard 2 Years $3.5-$4 million AAV

• Bouchard 2 Years > $4 million AAV

• Bouchard Longer Than 2 Years

• McLeod 1 Year >$1.5 million

• McLeod 1 Year $1.5 to $2 million

• McLeod 2 Years >$1.5 million AAV

• McLeod 2 Years $1.5 to $2 million AAV

• McLeod 2 Years Over $2 million AAV

• McLeod Longer Than 3 Years

• McLeod Traded

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Nurse and Brown ate Bouchard's lunch. McLeod will go to the food bank.
They would have a hole at RW, maybe more holes at forward, but Holland could have locked up Bouchard long term if he didn't sign Brown and traded McLeod.

They could still move out a player or two and lock up Bouchard for six years. With Holland it's always woulda, coulda, shoulda.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
They would have a hole at RW, maybe more holes at forward, but Holland could have locked up Bouchard long term if he didn't sign Brown and traded McLeod.

They could still move out a player or two and lock up Bouchard for six years. With Holland it's always woulda, coulda, shoulda.
I think it's obvious Bouchard will sign a bridge-contract for 1 or 2 years.

Kanedogg

Apr 23, 2023
Do you think that Holland had no inclination whatsoever that Keith wasn't going to play out his contract when he acquired him? That it was all purely coincidental and luck?

Sort of makes the acquisition cost make more sense to me if you think that maybe they had discussed it prior. I'm also aware that some people think he's a completely oblivious old man who doesn't know his own asshole from a hole in the ground, so I'm just wondering.

Yes I think Holland had zero inclination. It was all coincidental and luck. Keith wanted to come here and Edmonton had all the leverage in the world and didn't use it.

It's hilarious because of the cap dump Chicago was able to utilize they threw a boat load of money at Seth Jones and then Darnell's agent wanted something comperable.

This all doesn't happen if Holland doesn't take the back end of a 12 year contract that Chicago knew they'd eventually have to find a patsy for.

Still just amazing how it played out.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I may be in the minority here but it's a little frustrating to see our 2018 picks trying to squeeze management when we are on the verge of potentially winning a cup. Bouchard should be thanking Woodcroft for the opportunity to play the best PP the league has ever seen. We all know he took off after Barrie was dealt. Not to mention, it's his first contract after the ELC.

I understand McLeod did us a favour last year, but he paced as a 30 point centre with questionable defending at times. What does he think he's worth? A veteran in Derek Ryan just took a pay cut and was more consistent than he was.

The cap hasn't gone up in 4 years. Take your 1-2 year cheap bridge contract and cash in on the next one. There's a whole team here of players who have never won a cup, many of them on discount deals right now.

Just my $0.02.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I think it's obvious Bouchard will sign a bridge-contract for 1 or 2 years.
Probably so but Brown is only 750K for this season and we are relieved of Yamamoto's contract and Kostin's presumptive contract.

It's not so far fetched to believe something could be accommodated to gain the space for a Bouchard contract, long or medium term, with some combination of Ceci, Kulak, Campbell and/or Foegle moved and less cap coming back.

Lose a trade to sign Bouchard longer than a bridge, even if it costs a prospect and a pick, then fill the roster out with 1M or less contracts. Upgrade at the deadline as needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: SavoieSeason

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Not even worried about McLeod arbitration. Kid didn’t have a breakout year, honestly how much can he get rewarded. If he gets luck I say max 1.7

Reactions: SavoieSeason

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
You also dont overpay depth players to stay just cause you developed them.
Holland is an expert at overpaying depth players, that is his calling card. In this case the guy is a 23 year old with tire left on the tread.

It's amazing to me that people on here ignore holland over paying and terming a host of players and accepting it but all of a sudden it is time to get hard line on a guy who actually is young and shows some promise.

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
They should try hard to keep McLeod, he has shown the ability in spurts to be a good long term player. Losing him and keeping the likes of ryan, foegle and janmark would be an error.

he is only 23, has some size though not a super physical guy and can skate.

You do not spend time and resources to develop players just to let them walk in favor of guys with one foot out of the league.
Nevermind being a very con competitive heavy player for his position, but you like guys who "play in spurts"?

I know they are not machines, but get more guys who are close to that.

I realize some of it is coaching too. With that video of these clowns like him and RNH not even knowing Junior level stuff.

God, this coaching staff combined with the players has sh** the bed. Such low IQ garbage.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
All hearings will take place between July 20th and August 4th. Doesn't mean they can't sign him before then of course if they come to an agreement.
Thanks, my main point is that we need him and Bouch signed ASAP to know what numbers they are locked into to try and improve the team more. If it's the 4th and it ends up going the distance that could really handicap us.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It'll be big time retention or he doesn't get traded and becomes a distraction. SJS's choice really.

Everyone is getting squeezed with the current flat cap.
I agree. Also, he has only had one healthy year after 3 average years. For me, I look for him to regress next year back to around 10 goals again

Thanks, my main point is that we need him and Bouch signed ASAP to know what numbers they are locked into to try and improve the team more. If it's the 4th and it ends up going the distance that could really handicap us.
there is a reason why Holland is being conservative with all contracts he gives out--he has an idea of what the contracts will be but until they are signed he will be slightly worried

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Only counts if arbitration is awarded. If he signs before that no window
Not quite. The window opens even if the case is settled before arbitration. So if McLoed signs the Oilers would have a 48 hour window that they could in theory buyout Campbell or even McDavid for that matter. But the latter would be less likely than the former I suspect.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Brian Lawton was on Oilers Now talking about Bouchard. He suggested that if Bouchard could get $3.8-4M for 2 years his agent (Dave Gagner) should be very happy with that. I tend to respect Lawton's comments in this area as he has been on both ends of the table. The comparison was with Byram which to my mind is pretty much the right one to use, Byram is probably more well rounded right now but has had injury issues.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Brian Lawton was on Oilers Now talking about Bouchard. He suggested that if Bouchard could get $3.8-4M for 2 years his agent (Dave Gagner) should be very happy with that. I tend to respect Lawton's comments in this area as he has been on both ends of the table. The comparison was with Byram which to my mind is pretty much the right one to use, Byram is probably more well rounded right now but has had injury issues.
I am a huge Byram fan. Dude is an absolute stud back there when he is healthy, a significantly better player than Bouchard.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
The issue is that Byram's injuries have limited his production so Bouchard has a case for similar pay.
That's fair, he played half the games of Bouchard but put up a higher ppg...not to mention he is a far better defender. Points aside, he is just a way better skater and defenceman than Bouch, and I like Bouch a lot.

I don't know how often injury concerns come into play with these contracts, but if we are strictly speaking ppg and general capability as a player, Bouchard does not have a case compared to Byram.

Reactions: Anarchism

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
That's fair, he played half the games of Bouchard but put up a higher ppg...not to mention he is a far better defender. Points aside, he is just a way better skater and defenceman than Bouch, and I like Bouch a lot.

I don't know how often injury concerns come into play with these contracts, but if we are strictly speaking ppg and general capability as a player, Bouchard does not have a case compared to Byram.
ppg is typically less valuable than actual points in negotiations of this type. Bouchard's ace in the hole is his 17 points in 12 playoff games. Even though these are mostly pp points this matters because of the threat of an offer sheet. Supposedly Byram was a target and there has been speculation that the next guy in line could be Bouchard. No doubt Bouchard's camp is using this. It's risky because the Oilers have a limited amount that they can give him.

The other issue with Byram is the nature of his injuries. He has had three concussions so far. That makes him a big risk going forward.

By the way I am not arguing that Bouchard should get more than $4M. I'd like to see him come in at 2 x $3.5M.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
So ....does Holland wait too long and piss away another asset?
Or does he do the other thing he does....cave in big time and assert Mcleod is a high end 3C and pay huge for potential not really there...'Mcleods game is projectable'.?
P
Isn't it clear?
Offer Bouch 2 x 3.5
Offer McLeod 2 x 17.5 - 2 mil 4C money with PK time.....want more earn more.?

If this is unacceptable to McLeod and his agent put him in with Broberg and futures and lets make the summer blockbuster we need too.

Briere for one is desperate for futures right now. Phillys history is anything but patience. He has this one summer to reshape that team. Next year ownership and fan base need lots of futures and prospects to follow. Briere knows he won't get a second year selling.
We on the other hand are exactly in the opposite boat ....we need to win now.....this year...in order not to piss off our two centres. Its a perfect situation ....Holland needs to get this done right now or let some take the reins and get it done.

Last edited:

duul

Jun 21, 2010
So ....does Holland wait too long and piss away another asset?
Or does he do the other thing he does....cave in big time and assert Mcleod is a high end 3C and pay huge for potential not really there...'Mcleods game is projectable'.?
P
Isn't it clear?
Offer Bouch 2 x 3.5
Offer McLeod 2 x 17.5 - 2 mil 4C money with PK time.....want more earn more.?
I have no faith in Mcleod. Not a fan of the player at all. I'd be happy replacing him with anyone and just putting Holloway there instead. These guys don't play many minutes as it is in our lineup. Our bottom 6 is inconsequential in the grand scheme. The only way to get it out of that state is to give high potential young kids a real shot and opportunity to become great.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
I have no faith in Mcleod. Not a fan of the player at all. I'd be happy replacing him with anyone and just putting Holloway there instead. These guys don't play many minutes as it is in our lineup. Our bottom 6 is inconsequential in the grand scheme. The only way to get it out of that state is to give high potential young kids a real shot and opportunity to become great.
Duul I'm sure you have played alot but its surprising how you dont respect your bottom 8. The better your bottom 8 the more your top 6 can motor especially late in games. This is even more true late in the season as injuries occur and fatigue get to be the grind and into playoffs you need the support. Without your support people your top 6 cant play near as well. Look what happened with Vegas ....they knew our bottom 6 could score for shit ....we were nearly at two line team....
They used a balanced attack with a very aggressive bottom 6 and identified our right side weakness on D.
We need the bottom 6 big time and we need better defense.
The way forward is clear and inexpensive. And obtainable now.

As it stands even with projectable McLeod there's is a high chance we meet Vegas again....they employ the same strategy slightly modified and whoop our asses again.

Last edited:

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Duul I'm sure you have played alot but its surprising how you dont respect your bottom 8. The better your bottom 8 the more your top 6 can motor especially late in games. This is even more true late in the season as injuries occur and fatigue get to be the grind and into playoffs you need the support. Without your support people your top 6 cant play near well. Look what happened with Vegas ....they knew our bottom 6 could score for shit ....we were nearly at two line team....
They used a balanced attack with a very aggressive bottom 6 and identified our right side weakness on D.
We need the bottom 6 big time and we need better defense.
The way forward is clear and inexpensive. And obtainable now.

As it stands even with projectable McLeod there's is a high chance we meet Vegas again....they employ the same strategy slightly modified and whoop our asses again.
Vegas showed how a team should be deployed, 12 forwards, 6 defensemen sharing ice time. This ideal that only the top players on the roster should eat up all the minutes and a player is useless if he doesn't "outscore", especially those playing on a defensive zonestart line is hilarious.

You know advanced stats have value, but when it's used to constantly serve the completely unrealistic (in this era especially) narrative of an Oilers offensive juggernaut sweeping to cup after cup, they lose a lot of lustre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad