Rumor: Rumors & Proposals thread: Vatanen gone as well

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I'm going to remain extremely skeptical of any rumour where the Oilers are supposed to be trading that far down the rankings.

I still think at the end of the day the Oilers are going to be keeping that 4th overall and selecting their future Ryan Smyth clone in Matthew Tkachuk (assuming that miracles don't happen and Pulhujarvi is taken 3rd).

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
The waiting is going to make be lose my mind, haha.

It's the silence that's killing me in regards to any rumor news Oilers related from the major players on the networks. Even the Bob Mckenzie's of the world are just speculating right now what the Oilers are doing. At least Ovechking sings like a canary with info he obtains :laugh: (it truly is appreciated Ovechking).

It makes for one hell of a buildup into the final 6 days though.

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
Everyone's going to spook speedyturtle from posting here. Soon enough David Staples will be making blogs about his posts.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
I like the Arizona 4 for 7 & 20. Maybe they (Arizona) are waiting to see if Tkachuk is still on the board.

Trade a player for the dman upgrade, not a superstar, just someone helpful until our youngins are ready to take over. Just having our best players, forwards and d, healthy will improve our position in the league. I really believe we are building something here.
I hate it, hate it, hate it. That trade is five steps backwards. No NHLer coming and an over payment to move back 3 spots. No thanks.

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Any chance we could get a magic 'jake' bean at 20? Or would he be gone.

I think it's pretty iffy he's around at 20. I think the only way he's available is if a couple teams in the 15-19 range are really interested in someone like Sam steel or want to take a risk on debrincat. But a lot of people seem really high on bean, so I don't see him lasting that long.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Hey guys,

Just popping in to relay some info I heard today. Barrie talks obviously on hold, but interestingly Hamonic talks heating up. Increasingly likely that Oilers send 4th OA + Yakupov for Isles 1st + Hamonic.

I'd be over the moon for that deal. take it; now.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Easy. Oilers are not trading down from #4 to #19 when basically only leftovers no one else drafts is available and most likely never makes it in the NHL. This draft isn't as deep as people think it is.

did you forget the part about a legit #2, 25 yr old, NHL Dman on a great contract, as part of the deal?

Its bacically our 4th for Hamonic, and there's no guarantee Tkachuk (or whomever) will end up being any more valuable the Hamonic is right now. In fact, its a pretty good bet that the player picked will be comparable to Hamonic's calibre. that's a perfectly fair deal.

then it's Yak for the Isles 19th? in a heartbeat, baby. if anything, it's the Isles balking at that deal.

Last edited:

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Easy. Oilers are not trading down from #4 to #19 when basically only leftovers no one else drafts is available and most likely never makes it in the NHL. This draft isn't as deep as people think it is.

I'd rather have a legit good experienced dman on a great contract than a draft pick.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Hey guys,

Just popping in to relay some info I heard today. Barrie talks obviously on hold, but interestingly Hamonic talks heating up. Increasingly likely that Oilers send 4th OA + Yakupov for Isles 1st + Hamonic.

This is a good deal for the Oilers. Yakupov has little to no value so the Oilers have to give something of value to acquire a top pairing dman like Hamonic.

If this deal is actually on the table here's hoping Chiarelli moves on this ASAP.
I am skeptical though because I dont really believe the Isles are the least bit interested in acquiring a high maintenance player like Yakupov.

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
Arthur Staple says the 4th overall pick has been on the block for years and the Isles could get it for the 19th +.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

This draft should be less relevant to the Oilers. This team needs to start thinking of right now...not 4 years from now.

Hamonic is a player that helps (in a big way) right now and 4 years from now. Its a very good deal in terms of present value and future value both in terms of player ability and cap impact.

bzur

Feb 11, 2007
I'd be all for that deal. If there is a guy on the board still that the organization wanted we could always package the 19th and another pick to move up to get them. If not, they could either trade that pick or take a pretty decent player there. I see the people saying that it's not as deep of a draft as people think, but restocking the cupboard is restocking the cupboard. Chiarelli can start selecting guys for the system that fit his mould. Bottom line is the Oilers would be a better team now, and that helps create a better environment for future players to work themselves into. If the **** storm that is the current state continues then it almost doesn't matter who we could have had.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
It does help to look at it in this manner. Basically by doing this we turn 4th overall and a piece we're going to lose anyway into a #2 and a #3/4 defenceman.

It would sting, no doubt, but it would have immediate dividends.

Yup and the more I think about it, the more on board I am with that scenario. Until we don't acquire or develop that top pairing dmen, we can take the route Vancouver did with their D back in 2011. A top 4 that consisted of a couple of #2, #3-4 dmen. Hamhuis, Edler, Ehrhoff and Bieksa compared to Klefbom, Hamonic, Vatanen and Sekera doesn't seem that far off to be honest. No true top pairing guy but just a very solid group of dmen. Of course they had Luongo and we have Talbot so there's a difference there but just in terms of D core, they seem fairly similar. Add in Davidson, Nurse and maybe Gryba. I actually like the look of that.

I'm a bit torn on it myself, but the current MO is we need d help now, and Hamonic accomplishes that. Yakupov's value is such a complex thing to discuss. At least this deal results in us getting a top-4 dman and a 1st round pick without losing any of the core.

I understand the rationale in it.

Yeah I agree. We need D, need to improve immediately and a young player like Tkachuk won't make a true impact for another few years. However, I may (or may not) be in the minority here but I believe we need to trade one of the "core" players for the sake of a culture change. Now I'm not advocating we trade them for nothing but I believe trading one of the "core" players (Ebs, RNH or Hall) will shake things up and send this team a bit of a message.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
This is a good deal for the Oilers. Yakupov has little to no value so the Oilers have to give something of value to acquire a top pairing dman like Hamonic.

If this deal is actually on the table here's hoping Chiarelli moves on this ASAP.
I am skeptical though because I dont really believe the Isles are the least bit interested in acquiring a high maintenance player like Yakupov.

Arthur Staple says the 4th overall pick has been on the block for years and the Isles could get it for the 19th +.

Arthur Staple also knows that the Isles are interested in Yak.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Arthur Staple also knows that the Isles are interested in Yak.

I'll take it. Gets rid of Yak before he becomes a distraction, sets the Oilers up with Hamonic and they keep a top 30 draft selection.

It also keeps a trade for someone better on the power play open.
Saves cap space compared to the overpay that Demers will get. Plus Hamonic is a better player.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Package the pick with Pouliot for Vatanen. If we came out of the draft with Hamonic, and Vatanen, i'd be pretty pleased.

My god. It's ideas like this that get me excited. Hamonic and Vatanen would be a huge improvement.

Edit: why is it so hard to quote on mobile.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
If we do a deal of 4th and Yak for Hamonic and 19th I just really really hope we don't end up in an "always a bridesmaid, never a bride" situation. One of the reasons IMO that TB beat NYI was because Hedman > Hamonic/anyone the Isles had. Hamonic is not a #1D, he's a #2 defensively and a #4 offensively. I would really hope that having Hamonic in this scenario would allow Klef to further develop offense and become a #1. I dunno, I just have no faith in the 'defense by committee' approach and winning without a real 1D.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

Staple is an idiot!

Package the pick with Pouliot for Vatanen. If we came out of the draft with Hamonic, and Vatanen, i'd be pretty pleased.

We wouldnt even be adding too much salary in those deals and we keep the core in tact.

We would definitely have to go the 4 4 1 protection route in that case (assuming mcdavid and nurse are exempt)

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
If we do a deal of 4th and Yak for Hamonic and 19th I just really really hope we don't end up in an "always a bridesmaid, never a bride" situation. One of the reasons IMO that TB beat NYI was because Hedman > Hamonic/anyone the Isles had. Hamonic is not a #1D, he's a #2 defensively and a #4 offensively. I would really hope that having Hamonic in this scenario would allow Klef to further develop offense and become a #1. I dunno, I just have no faith in the 'defense by committee' approach and winning without a real 1D.

I agree that we still need a #1D but those are typically much harder to get in a trade. I just don't see anyone in this draft who screams #1D so dealing the pick for a top 2D, if available, is a no brainer. We still have other assets to get a #1D if they are available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad