Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: The "Well, we're waiting!!!" Edition with a sprinkle of "Don't believe his lies."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
You kinda answered your own question. Only a league darling can make creative trades. How do you define a league darling? A team that can make creative trades. lol
So you are saying b/c one bad thing happened, never ever do it again? What a way to think through life eh?
No I’m saying we need to be very careful who we value as a good player worth a first.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Soucy sitting for Seattle. Guy has fallen out of favour. Lowest average icetime 5v5 of all their regular defenders.

Here we go lol

FdcPVjmaIAAo5xG

Macblender

May 5, 2014
How do people view sanheim vs chychrun? In terms of preference that is if we were to target a LhD

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Wtf is this graph? Travis Yost is literally the worst pseudo-data scientist I’ve ever seen in my life in any field. His analysis regularly has massive blind spots that you almost have to assume are intentional due to how obvious they would be If you were writing them up. What a disgrace.

Thats not to say that he’s wrong in this case but I have no idea WTF this graph is supposed to be communicating. Campbell has been miserable all season long in terms of making saves.

I would assume that making saves would be an important factor in goaltending deployment decisions, but maybe Woodcroft uses the same system as Yost: Dotted lines vs. solid lines representing decimal numbers against negative decimal numbers.

I'm no math whiz, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think it's basically showing how often they had a certain goals versus goals expected goals per game.

Campbell's being very steep and below zero means he often allows more goals than expected while Skinner has a much more level line that peaks above zero which means he's been consistently above average and has more great games than he's had bad ones. Campbell, on the other hand, has almost no great games to make up for all the eggs he's laid.

edit: The graph in the article makes a little more sense.

yost2-1-1921543-1676909646760.png

Last edited:
Reactions: FunkyChicken

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Man no to soucy.

Let’s target whatever top pair or #3 or better out there not guys being scratched or playing bottom pair on playoff teams

I was only kinda joking anyway. Don't think Seattle will be dealing anything with us because we are a direct threat to them so even if there's a player that isn't working for them they're not going to be in a rush to give us a chance to see if it can work better here without an overpayment. Oilers goofing around and refusing to cement themselves in the top 3 in the Pacific has been a godsend to Seattle, they're not going to want to change that at all.

Reactions: Macblender

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
How do people view sanheim vs chychrun? In terms of preference that is if we were to target a LhD
They are similar players although having similar offensive numbers with Chychrun being in Arizona is swing towards Chychrun. Sanheim also has an 8year 6.25 mill deal that begins next year.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I believe in the philosophy of placing offensive prospects in offensive situations which wasn't happening routinely in the NHL. So, yes I agree he should have been sent down month ago to play big minutes and on the PP rather than 10 minutes a game here.

But that's not what happened.
The Oilers kept him up for his 10 minutes a game. He got sent down only because of poor cap management. He got injured, lost lots of money and has reason to be bitter (probably come up during next contract negotiations).

He got to make an NHL paycheque when he shouldn’t have been.

He has no reason to be bitter and it’s very likely he was spoken to about the demotion.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
A defenseman pursuing a carrier high zone makes a bit more sense assuming he's angling out quality options. It's pretty easy to read and rotate accordingly. I just don't understand the constant lack of urgency and awareness late in these types of games from the guys who should be the ones setting the bar.

I'm not going to pretend I know the type of system Woodcroft is deploying on the regular, but it's easily to see statistically how our top guys have slipped this year in terms of outscoring and preventing GAs. Blaming one or two defensemen is lazy.
During their run before the break we were seeing a much better effort in terms of limiting shots and chances, protecting the net front and supporting zone exits. The result was less shots, less goals and a goalie who was playing better. Since the break they’ve fallen right back into bad habits.
It’s unfortunate because our bottom 6 has done a good job of holding their own but the top 6 just seems to believe they don’t have to take care of the puck or do their jobs in their own end because they’re scoring so much.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
If you are going to outscore your mistakes, do it right...

For real. Holland must be thinking "If we were up 6-3 we would have won." Technically he wouldn't be wrong lol.

The only scenario I see us getting Kane is if he either comes really cheap (because he can pick where he wants to go and thus lowers his value) or he signs an extension 1-2 years for cheap to play alongside McDrai after this year.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Macblender

May 5, 2014
They are similar players although having similar offensive numbers with Chychrun being in Arizona is swing towards Chychrun. Sanheim also has an 8year 6.25 mill deal that begins next year.
Yeah for sure - correct me if I am wrong as I have limited sanheim viewing but seems like he may be a better pick distributor and better defensively than chychrun. Chychrun has more offence and is better North-south with a cannon.

Not sure who I would prefer really without factoring in contracts but yeah the 1.6M difference in cap hurts but chychrun will likely be 7.5+ on his next deal.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I generally hate the idea of rentals especially pure rentals like this one but if Kane comes at a relatively reasonable price, I say f*** it just do it. It just doesn't appear that an impact Dman is in the cards so might as well load up on offense and try to outscore on the way to a Cup. If it costs a 1st to make one big run, just do it.

Reactions: McDoused

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
A defenseman pursuing a carrier high zone makes a bit more sense assuming he's angling out quality options. It's pretty easy to read and rotate accordingly. I just don't understand the constant lack of urgency and awareness late in these types of games from the guys who should be the ones setting the bar.

I'm not going to pretend I know the type of system Woodcroft is deploying on the regular, but it's easily to see statistically how our top guys have slipped this year in terms of outscoring and preventing GAs. Blaming one or two defensemen is lazy.
There’s plenty of blame to go around. Coaching, personnel, management, goaltending, all of it.

McDavid puts in a solid defensive effort (Drai less so), but often times the goalie and the system fail.

Reactions: McDoused

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
During their run before the break we were seeing a much better effort in terms of limiting shots and chances, protecting the net front and supporting zone exits. The result was less shots, less goals and a goalie who was playing better. Since the break they’ve fallen right back into bad habits.
It’s unfortunate because our bottom 6 has done a good job of holding their own but the top 6 just seems to believe they don’t have to take care of the puck or do their jobs in their own end because they’re scoring so much.
This isn't true though. Chances against haven't changed, in fact they may even be lower since the break. The main point of regression has been Campbell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad