Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: The "Well, we're waiting!!!" Edition with a sprinkle of "Don't believe his lies."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

North

Jun 25, 2009
If Holloway got sent down because of his play, I'll concede.
But I don't think he did, I'm pretty sure he got sent down along with Desjardins because of cap reasons. I could be wrong.

The point is he should have been sent down because of his play long ago. The issue is we’re cap crunched and keeping him up worked for that reason. He benefited because of our cap issues.

You are right about the reason for the demotion but these things happen in a salary cap environment.

North

Jun 25, 2009
6 pts less than Ryan/Foegele 4 and 3 points behind Yammamoto/Puljujarvi who basically spent significantly more time in the top 6 with Draisaitl/Mcdavid doesn't exactly move the needle for your side.

His actual play does though.

I’ll grant that he has had some good games but he’s a bottom six forward on this team who hasn’t suitably distinguished himself from the other bottom six forwards.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
The point is he should have been sent down because of his play long ago. The issue is we’re cap crunched and keeping him up worked for that reason. He benefited because of our cap issues.

You are right about the reason for the demotion but these things happen in a salary cap environment.
I believe in the philosophy of placing offensive prospects in offensive situations which wasn't happening routinely in the NHL. So, yes I agree he should have been sent down month ago to play big minutes and on the PP rather than 10 minutes a game here.

But that's not what happened.
The Oilers kept him up for his 10 minutes a game. He got sent down only because of poor cap management. He got injured, lost lots of money and has reason to be bitter (probably come up during next contract negotiations).

Reactions: Sanchez

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
What is the point of that ? Can’t you make your own argument without the “guys who get orgasms” shit ? f*** this place used to be fun but civil.
Most of the people here are still civil. There's a select few on here that argue using the same rhetoric over and over again and resort to personal attacks when they get called out for being an idiot

Last edited:
Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Watched it again. McDavid overpursues Compher into a dead area instead of reacting to the puck that gets centered. Bouchard technically crosschecks 'his man' and has no clear sight of the puck.

As a team there's no urgency to protect the front of the net, but McDavid is the center. It's his job to hover defensively, not pursue skaters to low danger areas. That goal gets scored because we're not protecting the front of the net up by two goals in the third period.
Oilers play a weird hybrid man/zone system. Sometimes you’ll see the defenseman chase the puck carrier all the way to the blue line. It almost looks like they play man strong side and zone weak side, and the switching causes lots of problems. It’s hard to tell what kind of system they’re actually playing because it looks so chaotic.

Honestly I think it’s too complicated, especially for the personnel we have. It results in a lot of stupidly open looks for the opposition.

Reactions: FunkyChicken

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oilers play a weird hybrid man/zone system. Sometimes you’ll see the defenseman chase the puck carrier all the way to the blue line. It almost looks like they play man high and zone low, and the switching causes lots of problems.

Honestly I think it’s too complicated, especially for the personnel we have. It results in a lot of stupidly open looks for the opposition.

Yup, half the time I don't think the players even know if they're playing man to man or zone. It's just sorta like "well we'll figure it out on the fly" type of thing.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

Wtf is this graph? Travis Yost is literally the worst pseudo-data scientist I’ve ever seen in my life in any field. His analysis regularly has massive blind spots that you almost have to assume are intentional due to how obvious they would be If you were writing them up. What a disgrace.

Thats not to say that he’s wrong in this case but I have no idea WTF this graph is supposed to be communicating. Campbell has been miserable all season long in terms of making saves.

I would assume that making saves would be an important factor in goaltending deployment decisions, but maybe Woodcroft uses the same system as Yost: Dotted lines vs. solid lines representing decimal numbers against negative decimal numbers.

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
Wtf is this graph? Travis Yost is literally the worst pseudo-data scientist I’ve ever seen in my life in any field. His analysis regularly has massive blind spots that you almost have to assume are intentional due to how obvious they would be If you were writing them up. What a disgrace.
Travis Yost is a Leafs homer; that's all you need to know. I find he will write anything negative on Oilers.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

“There’s no getting around it: General manager Ken Holland’s inability or unwillingness to make a trade to clear cap room has created a mess in the short term.”

At least one oilers media member has no problem calling out this shit GM for sitting on his ass. Too bad the rest can’t do so.

Remember when Nugent-Bowman pushed Holland on the Keith deal?

Holland got upset and the press conference ended right after that.

Holland is like that kid that knows he has to clean his room, but keeps putting it off and finding ways to make his room look cleaner than it actually is (like shoving bad cap under the sheets).
7mAfu3i3oQdyEGJSqSg1WFhCAa8=.gif

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Send a player down who has outplayed several on team because you can't manage a cap. You don't think that player is bitter?
Of course he can't and won't voodoo an injury, use your brain to what's being implied.
Your post was stupid and implied everything I alluded to. It's a business, and Holloway is waiver exempt. We have no idea what their plan is for the trade deadline, so assuming is pointless. The sky is falling mentality is oderous and draining.

Like how the hell is getting him ice time on the farm team to facilitate the roster coming up to the trade deadline a hit to Holloway's loyalty? It's a stupid take.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Oilers play a weird hybrid man/zone system. Sometimes you’ll see the defenseman chase the puck carrier all the way to the blue line. It almost looks like they play man strong side and zone weak side, and the switching causes lots of problems. It’s hard to tell what kind of system they’re actually playing because it looks so chaotic.

A defenseman pursuing a carrier high zone makes a bit more sense assuming he's angling out quality options. It's pretty easy to read and rotate accordingly. I just don't understand the constant lack of urgency and awareness late in these types of games from the guys who should be the ones setting the bar.

I'm not going to pretend I know the type of system Woodcroft is deploying on the regular, but it's easily to see statistically how our top guys have slipped this year in terms of outscoring and preventing GAs. Blaming one or two defensemen is lazy.

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad