Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: The "Well, we're waiting!!!" Edition with a sprinkle of "Don't believe his lies."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Chris Johnston dropped some nuggets this morning.

He says while the Oilers are interested in Patrick Kane, it is "more mild than some of their other targets"

He also says that the Sharks right now won't retain more than 20% on Erik Karlsson's contract. That'd be a 9.2M cap hit for Karlsson - which the Oilers cannot seem to fit at this time.

We need Patrick Kane like a hole in the head.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
It has not. Our defensive metrics have been slightly below league average at worst. Our 5v5 xGA is 17th best in the league, xGA/60 is 14th, HDCA is 7th, HDCA/60 is 5th, shots against is 17th, shots against/50 is 15th. Switching to all situations filter most of these league rankings drop 1 or 2 spots but nothing egregious. It definitely needs improvement if we want to do anything in playoffs but that's a defense that hovers around league average. The actual GA numbers when the actual NHL caliber goalie in Skinner plays is pretty solid too, slightly below league average. The reason this team has so many high GA games is that Jack Campbell is an absolute joke and needs to be convinced to LTIRetire as soon as possible. I don't care how it happens. Hip surgery, skin rash, mental health, substance abuse from being paranoid of his own glove, just get him off the team.

:laugh:Pretty well this.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
She is the worst troll on the forum. Can’t wait for PJ to be traded just so that Karen shuts her goddam mouth, f***s off and goes to whatever teams forum her son gets traded to and pollutes their water on a daily basis.
Serious? An NHL player‘s mother is on HF engaging with posters regarding their son? I did not know that. No wonder little Johnny can’t figure it out. He has the ultimate helicopter parent still hovering and complicating his adult/professional life.

TheMustardTiger

Owner of the Dirty Burger
May 4, 2016
It has not. Our defensive metrics have been slightly below league average at worst. Our 5v5 xGA is 17th best in the league, xGA/60 is 14th, HDCA is 7th, HDCA/60 is 5th, shots against is 17th, shots against/50 is 15th. Switching to all situations filter most of these league rankings drop 1 or 2 spots but nothing egregious. It definitely needs improvement if we want to do anything in playoffs but that's a defense that hovers around league average. The actual GA numbers when the actual NHL caliber goalie in Skinner plays is pretty solid too, slightly below league average. The reason this team has so many high GA games is that Jack Campbell is an absolute joke and needs to be convinced to LTIRetire as soon as possible. I don't care how it happens. Hip surgery, skin rash, mental health, substance abuse from being paranoid of his own glove, just get him off the team.
This team has had the same issues for years, long before Campbell showed up. I am tired of hearing the same excuse of goaltending as the reason we can't win and if we had goalie "X" we would win it all.

I am no big Campbell fan but as much as we can go on about this weak goal or that weak goal he let in, the past bunch of games he has been making numerous highlight reel saves.

The reason we keep losing is because of very very poor team defense, sub par & overworked defense, which results in a lot of mental errors as well as we are probably a top team in giveaways.

No Goalie is going to make this team look better as it is constructed and playing right now.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This team has had the same issues for years, long before Campbell showed up. I am tired of hearing the same excuse of goaltending as the reason we can't win and if we had goalie "X" we would win it all.

I am no big Campbell fan but as much as we can go on about this weak goal or that weak goal he let in, the past bunch of games he has been making numerous highlight reel saves.

The reason we keep losing is because of very very poor team defense, sub par & overworked defense, which results in a lot of mental errors as well as we are probably a top team in giveaways.

No Goalie is going to make this team look better as it is constructed and playing right now.
Nobody will call the Oilers defensive stalwarts but the last game the Oilers were in complete control and Campbell couldn't give them one save. It reminded me a lot of the last game of the playoffs in which the Oilers controlled the majority of play but the Avs seemed to score at will because Mike Smith couldn't be trusted. I know he's Nathan MacKinnon but the shot he scored early in the third last game cannot go in. As soon as it did anyone who's watched this team before knew what the outcome of the game would be, and I suspect the players did too.

I believe the stats had the Avs at about ~2 expected goals, he let in six. He was far and away the worst player on the ice.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

The inability and unwillingness of our D to clear shooting lanes, the face offs that we lose clean resulting in immediate goals against, the insane breakout which is resulting in numerous unforced icings leading to face offs in our zone, the poor D zone coverage by all 5 Oilers, the near league worst PK, the 1-2-2 neutral zone resulting in easy controlled zone entries for the opponents, the D backing in all the way to the goal crease, Bouchard lacking a pulse, Ceci unable to make a 5 foot pass, our stars not committing to a safer more controlled game with the lead and making egregious turnovers in vulnerable areas of the ice (here’s looking at you Leon), a coach who will absolutely not alter his ECHL level tactics or deployments, all combined with at least 2 weak goals per game are all contributing to a laughable defensive game that is not playoff calibre.

Last edited:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
You just know that Holland is delaying making a trade from a perceived "position of weakness". A savvy GM would be telling other gm's

"Yeah, we've slipped a little due to goaltending (among other things, but highlight goaltending) but that makes any first we trade have that much more potential value."

I think this shows how out of touch with reality fans are.

Not only believing that’s what a “savvy” GM would say, but that something like that would have any bearing whatsoever on what other GMs think.

TheMustardTiger

Owner of the Dirty Burger
May 4, 2016
Nobody will call the Oilers defensive stalwarts but the last game the Oilers were in complete control and Campbell couldn't give them one save. It reminded me a lot of the last game of the playoffs in which the Oilers controlled the majority of play but the Avs seemed to score at will because Mike Smith couldn't be trusted. I know he's Nathan MacKinnon but the shot he scored early in the third last game cannot go in. As soon as it did anyone who's watched this team before knew what the outcome of the game would be, and I suspect the players did too.

I believe the stats had the Avs at about ~2 expected goals, he let in six. He was far and away the worst player on the ice.
What's the excuse for the game before when we had the lead and blew it as well?

The inability and unwillingness of our D to clear shooting lanes, the face offs that we lose clean resulting in immediate goals against, the insane breakout which is resulting in numerous unforced icings leading to face offs in our zone, the poor D zone coverage by all 5 Oilers, the near league worst PK, the 1-2-2 neutral zone resulting in east controlled zone entries for the opponents, the D backing in all the way to the goal crease, Bouchard lacking a pulse, Ceci unable to make a 5 foot pass, our stars not committing to a safer more controlled game with the lead and making egregious turnovers in vulnerable areas of the ice (here’s looking at you Leon), a coach who will absolutely not alter his ECHL level tactics or deployments, all combined with at least 2 weak goals per game are all contributing to a laughable defensive game that is not playoff calibre.
At work so couldn't get into the details but ya, all of what you said. This team has a lot of warts and needs to fix things asap.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Not a rumour or anything, but if Holland is discussing Karlsson - they are hopefully also looking around the league. There are no fewer than 4 other options, although some have trade protection.

Ekholm
Parayko/Leddy
Chychrun
Pelech/Pullock

Personally, I'd be targeting Parayko. I just don't see how the money would work. You're not moving Barrie in such a deal (STL have Faulk and Krug).
Im 100% behind Parayko but Im reading he has back problems and that dont go well for big dman. Would love to see Parayko in Oilers colors. Local boy, great size, winner, but Im worried on injury

Chris Johnston dropped some nuggets this morning.

He says while the Oilers are interested in Patrick Kane, it is "more mild than some of their other targets"

He also says that the Sharks right now won't retain more than 20% on Erik Karlsson's contract. That'd be a 9.2M cap hit for Karlsson - which the Oilers cannot seem to fit at this time.
well, GM Griere will be stuck with that contract on a rebuilding team. That wont age nice

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014

Def not the game we needed from Him. He knows it too.

What a disaster he is sometimes lol.

Cmon soup. We need you dude. That Mackinnon goal was so damn deflating

Last edited:
Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
I'll agree with that.

That's why I had Ceci and Bouchard as upgrade targets in my post. I'm honestly happy with either as my 2nd pairing RHD, but there need to be a clear upgrade above them on the right side.

Nurse-Parayko (dream fit as a defensive defenceman)
Kulak-Bouchard
Broberg-Vinny

Nurse-Karlsson
Kulak-Ceci
Broberg-Vinny

Just get a true 1st pairing defenceman, both an OFD or a DFD would do the trick.
I heard he has issues with his back so is it worth it

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Do you think if we even managed to land Karlsson we could convince nurse to play a more reserved game that got him here?

I swear o see him below the other teams goal line more than any other offensive D we see playing us.

Edit: I guess what I am reaching at is that would be the ideal and solve a big issue. If not I swear to compete we may need a D who is almost nurse level on the left side or right side and another as well so we can run two solid pairs and reduce nurses ice time by 3-4 minutes per game.

Echodek

Feb 6, 2011
Do you think if we even managed to land Karlsson we could convince nurse to play a more reserved game that got him here?

I swear o see him below the other teams goal line more than any other offensive D we see playing us.
I do think with a Karlsson trade it would allow Nurse to focus on being more defensively aware and being that mean defenseman that we need him to be. Instead of having him think he’s Bobby Orr out there.

Reactions: WaitingForUser

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I do think with a Karlsson trade it would allow Nurse to focus on being more defensively aware and being that mean defenseman that we need him to be. Instead of having him think he’s Bobby Orr out there.
Yeah like I just think Nurse playing too aggressive offensively leads to way too many gaffes whereas if he was a D first two way guy as his focus he may lose like what 10 points a year but we would be much more stable.

If we don’t land that #1/high end 2 type this year then I think we are kind of out of it until next year with how poorly our forwards support.

Reactions: Echodek
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad