Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: The "Well, we're waiting!!!" Edition with a sprinkle of "Don't believe his lies."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
So first off Holland definitely needs to upgrade the defence but how is the team blowing three goal leads, poor defensive structure, no effort in OT/So, and their inability to win key draws his fault? Like at what point do we start holding the players and coaches accountable. We should be able to win games while scoring 4 or 5 goals. Teams with lesser rosters do it all the time. We shouldnt need an allstar lineup on paper just to close out a game.
You answered your own question in the first sentence. Who put these players and this coach in place?

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
And they still haven’t past the first round and have zero prospects or draft picks.

Thing is how much of that falls on the players and how much falls on him? He goes in and improves his roster and brings upgrades every year despite being strapped up against the cap.

I hope the Leafs keep failing but I’ll give credit where credit is due, Dubas gives his core guys help every year. I can’t say the same about Holland.

The leafs took Tampa to game 7. We would’ve got swept by Tampa (if we played them round 1) just like we did against Colorado.

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Thing is how much of that falls on the players and how much falls on him? He goes in and improves his roster and brings upgrades every year despite being strapped up against the cap.

I hope the Leafs keep failing but I’ll give credit where credit is due, Dubas gives his core guys help every year. I can’t say the same about Holland.

The leafs took Tampa to game 7. We would’ve got swept by Tampa (if we played them round 1) just like we did against Colorado.

I'm sure I'll catch flak from this, but, comparing one conference to another is asinine.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Putting aside the EK, Edholm and Chychrun for a moment (tough to get / expensive), I’m liking the idea of going after lesser but solid candidates.
. Connor Murphy (Hawks, RD to partner with Nurse, $4.4 m for 2 more years)
. Olli Maata ( DRW, LD, $3 m for 2 more years, can play 2nd pairing)
. Dimitri Orlov ( Wash, LD, $5.1 m then UFA, can also be 2nd pairing).

Murphy plus one of the LDs would be a huge boost to our D, without breaking the bank and only Orlov is a rental. Thinking “solid and not sexy” might suit us. Murphy is a decent puck mover, and Maata and Orlov are solid in their end.
I would at least target Murphy…need to get stronger on right side and support Nurse.
Good post. I think Murphy is a reasonable consideration. Not as dynamic as maybe elite top end Wishlist dmen (Karlsson, Parayko, Ekholm) but a quality top pair veteran shutdown who would complement Nurse very well. Chicago is a willing selling, who could retain cap, and a partner that could prospectively expand this into a multi-player deal. Murphy has a no-trade clause but Canadian hockey Dad so maybe he would waive??

A move for Murphy salary level and team might nail the team's biggest need to stabilize its top d-pairing and give more flexibility for additional roster needs.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
trying to figure out why there are rumours we are now looking to resign Jesse? I am confused by this. One moment he is about to be given away and the next the team wants to keep him

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
Putting aside the EK, Edholm and Chychrun for a moment (tough to get / expensive), I’m liking the idea of going after lesser but solid candidates.

Murphy plus one of the LDs would be a huge boost to our D, without breaking the bank and only Orlov is a rental. Thinking “solid and not sexy” might suit us. Murphy is a decent puck mover, and Maata and Orlov are solid in their end.
I would at least target Murphy…need to get stronger on right side and support Nurse.

I like the idea of grabbing Murphy, I do think the price would be reasonable and he should bring in some stability to the 2nd pairing

Ideally though with the recent news of Jeanotte available from Nashville id be looking seriously into trying to get Ekholm and Jeanotte in a package. The cost maybe more then we are willing to pay but wed have to at least inquire. Guessing no way without moving Broberg and I have to say love the way he's trending

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Pretty much. The GM's job is to lead the horse to water, but the horse has to be willing to drink.

Lets say in game 6 of round 1, McDavid decided to just take his foot off the gas a bit and say "y'know maybe we're just gonna blow this series in the 1st round for the 3rd straight year, just isn't our year" ... instead of doing the opposite, that really isn't on the GM per se.

Matthews and Marner have to take their game up a notch if they want to win in the post-season. The GM can't do that for them. And yes, Tampa probably would've beat us in a round 1 match up also.

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
trying to figure out why there are rumours we are now looking to resign Jesse? I am confused by this. One moment he is about to be given away and the next the team wants to keep him
Jesse signed for 1.5M would be good value for the Oilers or an easily tradeable asset, that's why.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Jesse signed for 1.5M would be good value for the Oilers or an easily tradeable asset, that's why.

You can't pay him that. Because if he gets that then what ... McLeod gets 2 million? Kostin gets 2 million too? 2 million for Derek Ryan also?

That's several hundred K higher than all of them deserve and it makes the cap situation extremely difficult if not flat out putting us over the cap.

You can't overpay all these kinds of players several hundred K like some grandma giving out extra Halloween candy to kids. On pace for 6-7 goals is not a 1.5 million salary. That should be closer to the league minimum salary.

I dump him at the trade deadline for cap and if he wants to come back here on July 1st (or whenever UFA day is) for like 900k, even 1 million to be nice ... fine. Otherwise no thanks. And that's not just for him, I'm not paying anyone with his stat line who's supposedly a "talented winger" 1.5 million either. It's not a Jesse thing, it's a "you're not worth 1.5 million" thing.

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
You can't pay him that. Because if he gets that then what ... McLeod gets 2 million? Kostin gets 2 million too? 2 million for Derek Ryan also?

That's several hundred K higher than all of them deserve and it makes the cap situation extremely difficult if not flat out putting us over the cap.

You can't overpay all these kinds of players several hundred K like some grandma giving out extra Halloween candy to kids. On pace for 6-7 goals is not a 1.5 million salary. That should be closer to the league minimum salary.

I dump him at the trade deadline for cap and if he wants to come back here on July 1st (or whenever UFA day is) for like 900k, even 1 million to be nice ... fine. Otherwise no thanks. And that's not just for him, I'm not paying anyone with his stat line who's supposedly a "talented winger" 1.5 million either. It's not a Jesse thing, it's a "you're not worth 1.5 million" thing.
Hard to argue with you when you live in some kind of fantasy world where you can sign just about anybody to a league minimum salary. I hope Jesse's next year deal is announced soon, so we can continue this conversation based on facts.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hard to argue with you when you live in some kind of fantasy world where you can sign just about anybody to a league minimum salary. I hope Jesse's next year deal is announced soon, so we can continue this conversation based on facts.

You're not gonna argue the point because you know I'm right. You can't pay Jesse that money and then expect McLeod's agent to say "hey OK, we'll take 1.5 million too". Obviously they will want more. So will Kostin. So will Ryan. Why should they take less than a guy they are outperforming? Would you?

Like your draft pedigree at some point only takes you so far, this is now 6 years removed from his draft year, just because he was once upon a time a 4th overall pick doesn't mean shit anymore.

Jake Virtanen is a shit stain of a person (and also a top 10 pick himself) it looks like and he'd probably give the Oilers 6-7 goals if he got the same minutes Jesse did. Would you be happy paying him 1.5 million? I can tell you his agent would be over the moon to take that contract from the Oilers and run.

Reactions: JarvisFunk

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
You're not gonna argue the point because you know I'm right. You can't pay Jesse that money and then expect McLeod's agent to say "hey OK, we'll take 1.5 million too". Obviously they will want more. So will Kostin. So will Ryan. Why should they take less than a guy they are outperforming? Would you?

Like your draft pedigree at some point only takes you so far, this is now 6 years removed from his draft year, just because he was once upon a time a 4th overall pick doesn't mean shit anymore.

Jake Virtanen is a shit stain of a person (and also a top 10 pick himself) it looks like and he'd probably give the Oilers 6-7 goals if he got the same minutes Jesse did. Would you be happy paying him 1.5 million? I can tell you his agent would be over the moon to take that contract from the Oilers and run.
Like I said, I have found out that it is pointless to argue with you. We can continue this conversation when Jesse's next deal has been announced. I'll gladly admit that I was wrong if Jesse is signed to a league minimum contract.

Last edited:

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
AA only hit the plus 20 goal mark once in his time with Detroit, not 3 times as you mentioned, and has never come close since, averaging 10-12 goals per season.. Which I would say makes his one big year a definite outlier. I'm not convinced he's any part of an answer for a contending team.

Was his goal-pace, he's missed games with injury and covid seasons. Not saying he was answer, just saying he was given a raw deal here. Never had a chance

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
About how many of those emails from the law firm of Holland and Son will it take for Katz to realize he’s been bamboozled out of $20M and counting?
He probably made that back and more after last years playoff run. Oilers made the playoffs every year Holland has been here but gets not credit for that.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Y'all are crazy. On paper this is the best team weve had in decades and we are still 2 weeks away from the trade deadline. The cupboards are stocked and were finally in a position to start buying. Get excited oil country!
And yet the team still can't defend a 3 goal lead. This team has been worse defensively then any Oilers team in the last few years

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

I been saying this for a while. Go after a under the radar D man

Murphy 10% retained + Domi 50% retained + Lafferty

Yamamoto + Puljujarvi + 2 2nds + B prospect

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I been saying this for a while. Go after a under the radar D man

Murphy 10% retained + Domi 50% retained + Lafferty

Yamamoto + Puljujarvi + 2 2nds + B prospect
thats actually a really good trade. It would work. Lets face it, Yamo and Puju aint cutting it. I though Janmark and SHore played pretty good yesterday

Reactions: Macblender

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Not a rumour or anything, but if Holland is discussing Karlsson - they are hopefully also looking around the league. There are no fewer than 4 other options, although some have trade protection.

Ekholm
Parayko/Leddy
Chychrun
Pelech/Pullock

Personally, I'd be targeting Parayko. I just don't see how the money would work. You're not moving Barrie in such a deal (STL have Faulk and Krug).

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Chris Johnston dropped some nuggets this morning.

He says while the Oilers are interested in Patrick Kane, it is "more mild than some of their other targets"

He also says that the Sharks right now won't retain more than 20% on Erik Karlsson's contract. That'd be a 9.2M cap hit for Karlsson - which the Oilers cannot seem to fit at this time.

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
You just know that Holland is delaying making a trade from a perceived "position of weakness". A savvy GM would be telling other gm's

"Yeah, we've slipped a little due to goaltending (among other things, but highlight goaltending) but that makes any first we trade have that much more potential value."

Instead you just know that senile moron is letting every other gm dictate the value of what we are offering, like he always does.

If EK can only come at 9m+ you gotta rotate back to Chychrun. Offer up our 23 and 25 first. Highlight that the 25 first is Draisaitl's last year and if it doesn't look like he re-signs, it could be a very good pick. Never would I actually do that (sell drai before the offseason), but actually f***ing sell our assets rather than just let every other gm tell you they are worthless.

Obviously we don't know what is said in negotiations. But every deal to date shows this idiot just buys whatever other gm's/agents tell him without trying to come up with counterpoints to help improve the outcome for the team.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
And yet the team still can't defend a 3 goal lead. This team has been worse defensively then any Oilers team in the last few years
It has not. Our defensive metrics have been slightly below league average at worst. Our 5v5 xGA is 17th best in the league, xGA/60 is 14th, HDCA is 7th, HDCA/60 is 5th, shots against is 17th, shots against/50 is 15th. Switching to all situations filter most of these league rankings drop 1 or 2 spots but nothing egregious. It definitely needs improvement if we want to do anything in playoffs but that's a defense that hovers around league average. The actual GA numbers when the actual NHL caliber goalie in Skinner plays is pretty solid too, slightly below league average. The reason this team has so many high GA games is that Jack Campbell is an absolute joke and needs to be convinced to LTIRetire as soon as possible. I don't care how it happens. Hip surgery, skin rash, mental health, substance abuse from being paranoid of his own glove, just get him off the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad