Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy, Will JJ Show His Pimp Hand Again to Upgrade the Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
If he can excel there in the Cup finals, he can probably hold it down until the deadline.
So the Oilers are going to play their prized rookie on his wrong side - 2nd pairing just cause vets like Kulak dont want to.

Oilers going to Oiler I suppose.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Clearly Adam Larsson is coming (yes I know about his dad but maybe he's ready to come home).

Adam Larsson is a great person, the Oilers would benefit from another good person in the organization who's hard to play against.

Broberg - Larsson, sign me up, Larsson teaching Broberg how to be mean and nasty would be great.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Adam Larsson is a great person, the Oilers would benefit from another good person in the organization who's hard to play against.

Broberg - Larsson, sign me up, Larsson teaching Broberg how to be mean and nasty would be great.

Ceci + sweetener for Lars? :)

Seattle gonna embrace the suck a little bit and try to accumulate some assets? They really should face reality that they don't have the horses and focus on building more.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Lefties are easier to find, but they definitely focused on bringing in a bunch of NHL depth at right D instead.

They brought in Connor Carrick for Bako. They’re pretty deep there with him, Kemp and Wanner now.

Agreed plus we have tweeners like Stetcher and Brown.

People keep leaving out Akey. He was by far the best looking prospect last preseason. I bet people will be shocked at how good he is this preseason and he too is a Right Shot Defenseman. Just putting that out there.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Ceci + sweetener for Lars? :)

Seattle gonna embrace the suck a little bit and try to accumulate some assets?
If it's possible, I do that all day, 8 days a week.

The flip Kulak to the habs for a pick, then go

Ekholm - Bouchard
Broberg - Larsson
Nurse - Stetcher
Brown

And if that isn't ideal, sign Barrie for 1yr $1M-ish and play him at RD3

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

Clearly Adam Larsson is coming (yes I know about his dad but maybe he's ready to come home).

That's nice to hear if true.

That's the one element missing so far from Broby's game IMO. He needs to learn to have a little bite to his game.

Reactions: McDoused

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Agreed plus we have tweeners like Stetcher and Brown.

People keep leaving out Akey. He was by far the best looking prospect last preseason. I bet people will be shocked at how good he is this preseason and he too is a Right Shot Defenseman. Just putting that out there.
I liked Akey too, but it'll be interesting to see how long it takes after his big injury.

I think Max Wanner will turn some heads in September.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
If he’s good there, why not?
"All-in-all, considering both the total SHL season data we have available and the data manually collected from the games I watched, it is reasonable to deduce that Broberg was simply not effective at RD in his most recent season in Sweden, which is where he held the significant majority of his experience on the right side. From the people I talked to who also watched Broberg play that season, they would mainly agree."

"As mentioned earlier, Broberg’s first three games in the playoffs were at LD with Cody Ceci, and they played relatively well. They held a +2 goal differential, and produced positive chance and shot metrics. In fact, Broberg was the only defenceman who was able to post net-positive on-ice results next to Ceci in the playoffs."

"The Nurse – Broberg pair was heavily outplayed by Florida in terms of shots, scoring chances and possession. With that duo on-ice at 5v5, the Oilers were outshot 23 to 38 and out-chanced 9 to 18 in terms of high-danger chances."

Your scenario doesn't sound very good for his development. That doesn't even factor in how you are throwing a rookie to the wolves with little to no experience playing that side. I'll refrain from labelling this action.

Reactions: alphahelix

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007

People forgot they were calling for him to be HS in the Covid year. The constant passing to your D partner before just shooting it off the glass.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
People forgot they were calling for him to be HS in the Covid year. The constant passing to your D partner before just shooting it off the glass.
Larsson would be a steadying presence for Broberg and we could maybe consider Bouch-Broberg and Ekholm-Larsson as pairings, but once again, Darnell is the $9.25 million odd man out from the top 6. Maybe we should just pair him with Brown and say sink or swim on the 3rd pairing?

Reactions: McDoused

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
"All-in-all, considering both the total SHL season data we have available and the data manually collected from the games I watched, it is reasonable to deduce that Broberg was simply not effective at RD in his most recent season in Sweden, which is where he held the significant majority of his experience on the right side. From the people I talked to who also watched Broberg play that season, they would mainly agree."

"As mentioned earlier, Broberg’s first three games in the playoffs were at LD with Cody Ceci, and they played relatively well. They held a +2 goal differential, and produced positive chance and shot metrics. In fact, Broberg was the only defenceman who was able to post net-positive on-ice results next to Ceci in the playoffs."

"The Nurse – Broberg pair was heavily outplayed by Florida in terms of shots, scoring chances and possession. With that duo on-ice at 5v5, the Oilers were outshot 23 to 38 and out-chanced 9 to 18 in terms of high-danger chances."

Your scenario doesn't sound very good for his development. That doesn't even factor in how you are throwing a rookie to the wolves with little to no experience playing that side. I'll refrain from labelling this action.

Keep Ceci as Broberg's partner on third pairing, try it out until the deadline. Broberg will progress, and we'll likely see Ceci playing better hockey on that third pairing.

Trade Kulak + for a RD partner for Nurse. I even have a good idea who they might be targeting. If that target doesn't become available move Kulak for a pick, automatic cap relief... congratulations Stecher. Another deadline decision.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
??? I don't remember this, but I remember a terrible coach that held that team back with a limited game plan and tactics

Ekholm-Larsson would be a perfect shutdown pairing
I worry about the foot speed between them for full games, during crunch time to protect leads, hell yeah

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Seems like a pretty hollow article. His last season in Sweden was four years ago and the shot metrics are based on like a 4 game sample size. It made a stronger case for Broberg to be used at RD to me. I'll listen to individual metrics like zone exits and zone entries over a team metric like GF% or xGF% any day of the week.

He's a 23 year old top 10 pick. He needs some responsibility sometime.

Last edited:

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
If he can excel there in the Cup finals, he can probably hold it down until the deadline.
Excel is a stretch he looked good and often the better part of the pairing with Nurse, but still the Expected Goals For for the duo was 30.2% it doesn't exactly scream a recipe for long term success.

Also, the mindset of well if you can do it in the most high pressure situation against the best competition surely you can repeat the feat in a lower pressure situation against weaker competition, is kind of a hollow one, the regular season represents its own set of unique challenges, for example when the games matter less does complacency creep into his game? How consistent can he be? Will he bounce back after a bad game or will it erode his confidence? When coaches more thoroughly scout him for weaknesses, can he make adjustments to potential weaknesses in his game?

The 2nd pairing is a high bar to reach for, I think it's a 50/50 chance he can hold that down to an adequate level, where as I'm more like 85-90% confident he can hold down the 3rd pairing and he is more likely to excel and grow his confidence in that role.

I also think people are running a little too high on the team after a SC Finals appearance and a good offseason of signings, there is a realistic chance that our 2nd & 3rd pairing (presuming Ceci or Kulak is traded) are below average to bad and if that occurs a single long term injury to any of McDavid, Drai, or Bouchard will harm the team enough that I wouldn't treat the playoffs as a foregone conclusion, we are still a team that is highly dependent on the straws that stir the drink despite the improved support around them.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
If we include Savoie in a package, I expect to receive a better player in return. No offense to Larsson

I would do something like Ceci and Lavoie for Larsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad