Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy, Will JJ Show His Pimp Hand Again to Upgrade the Defense?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
View attachment 895953

These two already back at it

Yeah ... these two guys aren't going anywhere. They're like brothers and their fiances (soon to be wifeys) are also extremely tight. There's not really many realistic situations where they can both play together other than here. And then add on top of that not many teams have a young D putting up numbers like Bouchard.

We're extremely fortunate those 2014 and 2015 drafts (well our 1st rounders anyway) turned out just so.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah ... these two guys aren't going anywhere. They're like brothers and their fiances (soon to be wifeys) are also extremely tight. There's not really many realistic situations where they can both play together other than here. And then add on top of that not many teams have a young D putting up numbers like Bouchard.

We're extremely fortunate those 2014 and 2015 drafts (well our 1st rounders anyway) turned out just so.
Add to the fact that Bouchard will hitch with one of Lauren’s besties at the wedding. Those guys ain’t going nowhere

Nevermind he has a gf haha

• Haha
Reactions: oobga

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
So no need to try and improve the team on defense, is that your point? I must admit these copes fly over my head.
There is a decent argument that scoring goals was a bigger issue in the playoffs than anything

Then you factor in the cost of acquisition for good dman, and its more of a long term problem that can't be fixed easily. It is what it is at this point, the Oilers are now pretty good at keeping the GA down, and if we added another 50 goals to the group this year, we can beat the panthers. A healthy leon and we probably would have last year

Reactions: smokersarejokers

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
There is a decent argument that scoring goals was a bigger issue in the playoffs than anything

Then you factor in the cost of acquisition for good dman, and its more of a long term problem that can't be fixed easily. It is what it is at this point, the Oilers are now pretty good at keeping the GA down, and if we added another 50 goals to the group this year, we can beat the panthers. A healthy leon and we probably would have last year

The point about scoring goals is valid in a sense.

The Oilers seemed to either blow teams out, narrowly win games they had big leads in before getting scored on making interesting, or losing tightly played games with few opportunities.

Game 7 was the poster boy of it. Games like that you kind of just feel that the Oilers just won’t get that next goal that essentially wins the game. They need to learn how to win that tight 2-1 game where nobody gets many chances and the first team to break the dam wins.

Reactions: Sheikyerbouti

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Did you just call me delusional?
f87.jpg

Something about the kid from the same town as Ales Hemsky.

I'm not sure he makes the roster out of camp, but I think he has game. Only a year older than Lavoie.

Good defensive numbers, kind of passive though is the problem with him. WOuldn't mind him on a cheap contract though

Reactions: oobga and Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
There's literally a Bruins fan that is convinced Brandon Carlo would be our best defenseman if we traded him for Draisaitl

Carlo was garbo last playoffs. He’s a great D man but both Bouchard and Ekholm were much better. Carlo had some really ugly plays that cost them games

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
So was Connor injured all year or not? Just from his social media posts, we've ween him golfing, working out, etc. I expected at least a month to six weeks off, and possibly surgery, from all the injury reports we heard after the year.
Surgery?
IMG_6679.jpeg

2020 Connor McDavid says hold my beer.
IMG_6680.jpeg

Reactions: oobga

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Good defensive numbers, kind of passive though is the problem with him. WOuldn't mind him on a cheap contract though
Yep. All he's going to get now is a two-way deal. The defensive side of the game has never been a big concern. It's his buy-in that's been the issue. I'd like to see how he responds to a group that's committed to winning a Cup.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

The whole is greater than the sum of the parts. One thing always ties into another thing in a complex system. A quick transition game from the backend leads to less time in the defensive zone and more time in the offensive zone which leads to more offensive opportunities. An effective controlled transition from the defensive zone to offense is the "breakout play" and this leads to goals.

I can't say with certainty the Oilers would have beaten the Panthers with better puck movement. Maybe the Oilers win the first two games of the series then Florida is forced to adjust their "forechecking system" and win 4 of the next 5 games.

I believe with quicker and more controlled puck retrievals and zone exits the Oilers would be the 23/24 Stanley Cup Champions.

There are plenty of good puck transporters in this league that are not considered stars. The stars on defense are the players who put up massive offensive numbers like Evan Bouchard. The Oilers need one additional fast skating top-4 defenseman whose primary skill set consists of retrieving pucks and making controlled exits to partner with Darnell Nurse.

Reactions: soothsayer

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
No, he made some really nice trades and some excellent signings. Holland hasn't been at the wheel since JJ was hired IMO. That's why we're happy with his work so far.
In your opinion because it suits your narrative. Holland was still the guy making the moves. Jackson said himself he was there to learn.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Strange if so. I think what you said is a pretty fair assessment

Thank you, I appreciate that. I've been told by other fan bases that I'm a good balance between optimism and pessimism that uses both analytics and the eye test. I like to think that I have my head on my shoulders and usually post both the pros and cons. I think sometimes that doesn't jive with people who have extreme views. I understand how some people absolutely love Jackson and hate Holland but in reality the truth is probably closer to the middle.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
In your opinion because it suits your narrative. Holland was still the guy making the moves. Jackson said himself he was there to learn.
JJ made some nice trades and nice signings since the beginning of FA. Holland wasn't involved. Pretty sure the rumblings of Holland not being happy at the end were due to JJ taking the reigns too. Narrative? I was just pointing out the facts.

Holland had nothing to do with what JJ did during FA either. Desk was already cleaned out, but whatever suits YOUR narrative lol.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
JJ made some nice trades and nice signings since the beginning of FA. Holland wasn't involved. Pretty sure the rumblings of Holland not being happy at the end were due to JJ taking the reigns too. Narrative? I was just pointing out the facts.

Holland had nothing to do with what JJ did during FA either. Desk was already cleaned out, but whatever suits YOUR narrative lol.
Facts? Fans don't know shit about what goes on. Stop blowing smoke.

Free agency signings Holland was essential gone but it's not like JJ picked up the phone on July 1st and made all these deals. Holland brought all those guys in (except Skinner, Ardvidson was already in works) and if you think they didn't discuss extensions when they signed your are just soapboxing your narrative again. Did Holland and JJ work together probably but was Holland sitting in his office pouting like you are stating while JJ did all the moves? LOL yeah sure.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

I definitely agree that JJ gets all credit for all the signings and trades this offseason. He has yet to make a move that fixes the core issues with the team though. Holland brought in Ekholm. I give JJ great marks but to really impress me I'd want to see a move like that

Reactions: McBooya42

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

I don't know how Holland could not be a bit embarrassed at how JJ pushed the coach change and even picked the coach to save this season from being a complete disaster.

Actually Holland should be thankful that JJ saved his legacy here. JJ also brought in the sports psychology coach that saved Skinner's year.

We badly needed someone to step in and change some things after Holland's lazy summer. Very thankful for JJ so far.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Facts? Fans don't know shit about what goes on. Stop blowing smoke.

Free agency signings Holland was essential gone but it's not like JJ picked up the phone on July 1st and made all these deals
. Holland brought all those guys in (except Skinner, Ardvidson was already in works) and if you think they didn't discuss extensions when they signed your are just soapboxing your narrative again. Did Holland and JJ work together probably but was Holland sitting in his office pouting like you are stating while JJ did all the moves? LOL yeah sure.
Complains about me blowing smoke...continues on to blow smoke. Sure thing man 🤣
Seriously lol. It takes special needs to a new level when a person accuses someone of doing something, and then does that thing in the very next sentence.

Last edited:
Reactions: McDoused
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad