Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Absolutely no to trading Kane. If he is healthy and ready to play, you 100% keep him. They added smaller players in Skinner and Arvidson, now people want the only tough forward gone in Kane.

Can you imagine Kane playing against us? No one would touch him.
Wasn't that one of the main benefits of bringing Josh Brown in?

I'll also say Kane and Skinner skew towards being one-dimensional goal scoring forwards, you rarely want 2 of those one one team if you are trying to win a Cup and I don't believe big and physical is worth the $2.125M premium. In my eyes we should ideally be pocketing the cap savings from essentially swapping Kane and J. Skinner to address other areas of need, much like with Broberg replacing one of Kulak/Ceci.

Then we can further mitigate lost toughness/grit through other additions such as our 2nd pairing RHD and probably also a bit through our 4th line. Also Holloway was hitting a ton in the playoffs and presumably will grow to take a bigger and bigger role with the team in time, he'd also supplement some of what we'd lose in Kane.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
it's not even a rumor that he's planning on leaving, it's just pure speculation from writers to get views. It's like TSN always talking about Connor to Toronto it's not gonna happen. Drai and McDaddy will be oilers til their mid 30s at least.
I just watched a video by Steve Dangle where they talk about this article, and they completely leave out that quote out the end and go on to blab about Draisaitl leaving for 15 minutes. TO media machine just trying to manufacture stories

Ceci is so gone if Kane is healthy

Ek - Bouch
Nurse - Broberg
Kulak - Stetcher
Brown

If this is the case I'd really like for us to add a guy like Adam Larsson at the TDL if he'd be receptive to it.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I just watched a video by Steve Dangle where they talk about this article, and they completely leave out that quote out the end and go on to blab about Draisaitl leaving for 15 minutes. TO media machine just trying to manufacture stories

Ek - Bouch
Nurse - Broberg
Kulak
- Stetcher
Brown

If this is the case I'd really like for us to add a guy like Adam Larsson at the TDL if he'd be receptive to it.
The one oddity if we went this, is we would in all likelihood have 4 lefty d-men on the PK.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

Ek - Bouch
Nurse - Broberg
Kulak - Stetcher
Brown

I don't think Larsson will ever play here again because of the very reason he left.

Reactions: 5Hollywood5

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Who the hells playing 4C this year?
Smallest concern there is.
my biggest concern is that they let Kulak go, because he is easier to trade then Kane or Ceci... I really hope not.

Lets trade Ceci or Kane. A healthy kane is a greatt addition with Draisaitl. Ceci can pair up with kulak and score somw goals to if he gets back his confidence, that i think is a bit shot. He was useful his first year.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
my biggest concern is that they let Kulak go, because he is easier to trade then Kane or Ceci... I really hope not.

Lets trade Ceci or Kane. A healthy kane is a greatt addition with Draisaitl. Ceci can pair up with kulak and score somw goals to if he gets back his confidence, that i think is a bit shot. He was useful his first year.

Agreed. I'd like to see Hamblin play 4C.

Reactions: Bobieque

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Wasn't that one of the main benefits of bringing Josh Brown in?

I'll also say Kane and Skinner skew towards being one-dimensional goal scoring forwards, you rarely want 2 of those one one team if you are trying to win a Cup and I don't believe big and physical is worth the $2.125M premium. In my eyes we should ideally be pocketing the cap savings from essentially swapping Kane and J. Skinner to address other areas of need, much like with Broberg replacing one of Kulak/Ceci.

Then we can further mitigate lost toughness/grit through other additions such as our 2nd pairing RHD and probably also a bit through our 4th line. Also Holloway was hitting a ton in the playoffs and presumably will grow to take a bigger and bigger role with the team in time, he'd also supplement some of what we'd lose in Kane.
Josh Brown is a dman though. I mean on paper he can hit and fight but who is going to replace Kane on the forecheck? Holloway? I just see alot more holes trading him than keeping him.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I don't think Larsson will ever play here again because of the very reason he left.
Nurse-Larsson was horrible together as well. Maybe next season we can try Bouchard with Nurse and Broberg with Ekholm and then eventually go back to Ekholm-Bouchard as the season moves on.

It’s also a contract year for Bouchard and he has to show he can keep up his level of 5x5 play without Ekholm as his partner.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

Ceci is a RD and only has one year left on his contract. RD are harder to come by than a LD like Kulak, who has two years left on his contract. Shorter term likely means more interest when it comes to defensemen that aren't expected to be the teams top-tier players.

But if it's Kulak who has to go we have his replacement in Broberg who will then shift to LD. And he will be more comfortably suited on the third pairing.

I'm interested to see Stecher in a run of games. Another small player but what are you going to do. Better that he were the 7th defenseman but we also have Brown.

If JJ can get the cap tidied up, extend Draisaitl then find a top 4 RD, it will be a good offseasons work. The consensus is that the top 4 RD will have to wait for the deadline but you never know.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I think we need to be looking for reasonable contract longer term RHD. Ekholm 2.0 addition.

Or jiricek since Columbus is throwing him around and there was rumours he was unhappy last year. He is a stud imo

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Nurse-Larsson was horrible together as well. Maybe next season we can try Bouchard with Nurse and Broberg with Ekholm and then eventually go back to Ekholm-Bouchard as the season moves on.

It’s also a contract year for Bouchard and he has to show he can keep up his level of 5x5 play without Ekholm as his partner.

Part of the problem is that no one seems to play well with Nurse …

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I think we need to be looking for reasonable contract longer term RHD. Ekholm 2.0 addition.

Or jiricek since Columbus is throwing him around and there was rumours he was unhappy last year. He is a stud imo
i

Reactions: stewy04

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Kulak and Ceci’s name has been out there. A 4-5 D upgrade is the hope.

Kulak+Ceci out would give us 6M to find a True 4RD, near Ekholm level.

Ekholm-Bouch
Nurse-NEWSTUD
Broberg-Brown

Keep in mind going for someone like Parayko is a long term commitment, we'll likely be paying Drai and Bouchard roughly $11M more next year than this year and no shot the cap rises enough to compensate.

TheSecondSeason

Apr 20, 2024

Ek - Bouch
Nurse - Broberg
Kulak - Stetcher
Brown

Stetcher is a terrible defenseman.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
it's not even a rumor that he's planning on leaving, it's just pure speculation from writers to get views. It's like TSN always talking about Connor to Toronto it's not gonna happen. Drai and McDaddy will be oilers til their mid 30s at least.

Leaf fans always assume that every UFA will automatically want to come to their team. Unfortunately for them it’s usually the duds who end up coming, like Kneeordano and PJ boy.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Healthy Kane would do absolute wonders for this team.

Only thing I can think of is Ceci and Kulak both go for a cheaper but better 4/5th dmen and open up just enough cap to sign Holloway and Bro.

Adam Larsson would be the the dream but know it’s never happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad