OT: Official HF Bruins Board Pet Thread

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Gonna have to put my best buddy down tomorrow morning. His 14 year old hips just don’t have anymore mileage left. He’s in pain and miserable and it’s the right thing to do. We got him as a rescue when he was 8 and we had 6 great years with him. Best dog I ever had.

Attachments

• IMG_0014.jpeg
    IMG_0014.jpeg
    399.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1041.jpeg
    IMG_1041.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 1

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Gonna have to put my best buddy down tomorrow morning. His 14 year old hips just don’t have anymore mileage left. He’s in pain and miserable and it’s the right thing to do. We got him as a rescue when he was 8 and we had 6 great years with him. Best dog I ever had.
I am so sorry. You are a good human, and you are doing what is best for him. I know what a difficult decision that is.

Sending a hug and strength for tomorrow.

1721000579824.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: RoccoF14

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
So sorry. It's hard. Glad you had the years you did with him :heart:

Reactions: Ladyfan

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
So sorry Rocco.
What’s your boy’s name?

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
So sorry Rocco.
What’s your boy’s name?
Max. He's a Victorian Bulldog. We're having a nice evening together with him and he's farting up a storm to make sure we have something to remember him by. My eyes are literally watering as I'm typing this......and not because I'm crying.

He got some leftover steak and a 4-5 strips of bacon for dinner.....because, why not?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
One of the worst feelings in the world but you can take solace in knowing that instead of being stuck in a pound he just had the 6 best years of his life because of you. Sorry you have to go through this. What a great boy.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Max. He's a Victorian Bulldog. We're having a nice evening together with him and he's farting up a storm to make sure we have something to remember him by. My eyes are literally watering as I'm typing this......and not because I'm crying.

He got some leftover steak and a 4-5 strips of bacon for dinner.....because, why not?
Thinking of you and Max today. :heart:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Hattie slept in her crate last night. She did well, no barking or crying, no accidents. I took her out this morning but then she went right back into her crate. I set her bowl near the crate and she wasn't interested in breakfast.

I went home at lunch just to check on her. She had eaten breakfast but wouldn't come out of the crate until I asked if she wanted to go outside. Soon as we came back in, she went right back to her crate. Not even treats would get her to come out.

Tonight I might try the tried and true Sonic burger and tots. If she sees me eating that it might be too hard to resist. :D

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
rufus.jpg

I'm so sorry, it's the worst. I'm going through the same thing with Rufus. 15+YO Newfie/poodle mix. The worst days of my life, were burying my dad, my brother, and putting my Giant Schnauzer, Schultze, down.
He's collapsing on any uneven surface and slippery flooring(wood, linoleum).We have to belly lift him to get him up a stair to go in and out.
He doesn't seem to be in pain or he's too stoic. The vet says if he has any + quality of life, wait.
He's eating fine, not going in the house, happy to see us, once up on his feet, outside, he'll meander around and sniff. So we'll stick it out until it's obvious that he is not happy anymore.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
View attachment 895321

I'm so sorry, it's the worst. I'm going through the same thing with Rufus. 15+YO Newfie/poodle mix. The worst days of my life, were burying my dad, my brother, and putting my Giant Schnauzer, Schultze, down.
He's collapsing on any uneven surface and slippery flooring(wood, linoleum).We have to belly lift him to get him up a stair to go in and out.
He doesn't seem to be in pain or he's too stoic. The vet says if he has any + quality of life, wait.
He's eating fine, not going in the house, happy to see us, once up on his feet, outside, he'll meander around and sniff. So we'll stick it out until it's obvious that he is not happy anymore.

Thats hard. Ive gone through it so many tims and its always devastating for me. Our oldest, Ellie, will be 13 come February. I hope when her time comes she just goes peacefully in her sleep.
I always have with all of them but have never been that lucky.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
View attachment 895321

Thanks Marcus. And thanks to everyone else for the kind words.

We had a pretty similar experience over the past year to what you are going through and took the exact same approach.

One thing I WILL caution you about is giving your pooch an injection of Labrella. Its a relatively newer treatment. Our vet recommended it, as he uses it on his own dog (a 15yr old Lab) and had really great results. Its a series of injections, every 6 weeks which is supposed to help with Osteoarthritis. I would caution you to do your homework on it before you give it to your dog. There have been a lot of side effects associated with it, and my wife and I believe that in Max's instance, it made the situation worse, not better.

We don't blame our vet for recommending it. He's been giving our animals great care for 15+ years. We actually saw improvement after the first shot, but there was definitely an immediate and severe deterioration in his condition after he got his second shot. Not sure if the injection was the cause or not, just do your homework if its something you are considering.

Our vet was concerned about it as well, and after we put Max down yesterday he asked us if we would consider taking him down to the Univ of Illinois (2hr drive south) and let their Veterinary department do an autopsy. He thought that there would be a lot of benefit in helping find out if this drug was the cause or not. He didn't pressure us and totally left it up to us if it was something we wanted to do. My wife and I talked it over and we agreed to do it, so we packed him up and my daughter drove him down last night. Hopefully some good will come from it.

I'll let you guys know what we find out.

Last edited:
Reactions: eightspokedb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad