Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
And that one player has a full NMC and is so close with our franchise player that he is is co best man at his wedding. We are not I repeat not trading Darnell Nurse anytime soon. Now Ceci I could see going for cap reasons and Stetcher can easily replace his minutes for a quarter of the cost. It Ceci or Kulak that is being moved on the backend. We will do a move for a top 4 d man at the deadline provided we can make space. I get it Nurse is not the greatest D man. But one nobody is trading for him (at full cap) and two Connor and Leon would lose it if he was traded. JJ seems like a guy that can the read room

Absolutely NOBODY was trading for PLD either...until they did...w no kicker.

Never say never

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Then I’d be biased too. Trading Broberg would be a massive risk at the very least. He looked great in the playoffs and was really starting to piece things together in the AHL beforehand. Cost controlled top 4D is what this team needs, trading him would have to be for a slam dunk 2nd pair RD IMO
His cost/skill ratio helps balance out Nurse. We need to hold onto him, plus he's going to be good.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Just a thought - maybe the 1st half of a D upgrade?

Next step, Savoie + Ceci for a legitimate top 4 D?

Savoie arguably has significantly more universal trade value as a cost controlled top offensive prospect than McLeod, a niche known quantity with limited growth potential.

Ceci + McLeod = meh, no thanks
Ceci + Savoie (maybe plus a pick) = you had my curiosity but now you have my attention

/just a thought…
I don't see them trading for a cost controlled, top flight draft pick (who also happens to be local...) only to flip him for a D upgrade. Skinner is only signed for a year. This kid is about to come into the minor pro's, and is not far away. He has offensive pedigree for days, and if his development path doesn't falter, could be a Brayden Point type that comes in on his ELC to contribute in a year. That's.. pretty damn incredible it if hits all the points.

They already know they have to restock their drafting and development pipeline, and publicly stated as such. I just can't see them flipping him elsewhere.. but it is another asset if you really want to go down that route. But I can't see it. Bouchard is there, Broberg hopefully gets a full year here, they still have Nurse's anchor (he isn't going anywhere, much to my chagrin) and they already have the likes of Stecher and even Brown. Ceci may go but depends -- the FA pickings are mighty slim and any move there may be lateral. We'll see.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
You have to look at the future while also looking at the present when looking at what it appears is the plan. Broberg will just be entering his prime as he replaces Ekholm. Holloway will hopefully be able to replace Kane minus the fighting. Savoie will even possibly able to replace Skinner after Skinner moves on to the new higher contract with his new team the following offseason.

IMHO and if all goes fairly well, these are the reasons why I seriously doubt any of the 3 young guys I just named get moved for any reason. We have 3 major new contracts coming up in the next few years and need to be able to afford them. We finally may have a future laid out while also living in the present.
Would Jeff Jackson even accept the oilers role if he wasn’t confident in Mcdavid re signing? JJ has handled every contract of mcdavids since he was what, 12?

Reactions: iCanada

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Would Jeff Jackson even accept the oilers role if he wasn’t confident in Mcdavid re signing? JJ has handled every contract of mcdavids since he was what, 12?
I’d almost think that both McDavid’s and Drai’s contracts have been discussed throughout the year and the length and number is there. Explains the calm tone from JJ. Maybe they just wanted a positive offseason.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I disagree with ~$3M being too expensive for the 3rd d-pairing, I know a lot of people have these old beliefs about the 3rd pairing is the place you scrimp on money and just ice the best ~$1M player you can get, but I'll say the mindset around the league has very much been changing.

The 3rd d-pairing is every bit as impactful as the 3rd forward line and is generally one of the easiest and most cost effective means of gaining an edge on another team or not giving an edge when your 3rd pairing gets caught out like say on an icing and the top line for the opposition comes out. BOS and VGK kind of identified this and it's become far more normal that teams will spend a little extra on the 3rd D pair for quality.

Though for us obviously if Broberg can handle those same minutes and make $1M that's only to our benefit and we can use those cap savings elsewhere.
I don't believe that 3 mill is too expensive for a 3rd pairing D, I do believe it's too expensive for the Oiler's situation with this specific player. especially considering Knoblauch/Coffey don't appear to see him as a useable Pker. Maybe that changes with VD gone to Vancouver, but his contract is pretty much a match for what the Oilers need to free up to get under the cap with their two left over RFAs.

I do think the Oilers are planning to make room for Broberg as well, and I wouldn't be surprised if Kulak is the odd man out on that basis alone.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Thats with Ryan and Stecher, Hollway and Broberg will probably cost more than that vets so could be tight.
My math has both Holloway and Broberg signing qualifying offers. They don’t have arbitration rights so they would be $874k each. If we wanted to bump them to $1M. Then we have 580k ish space (I rounded up to $600k in prior post) less the 125k x 2. So we are fine either way without any moves besides just sending fringe vets down

Reactions: McDoused

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Only concern with Savoie is that he's been a bandaid since getting drafted. Hopefully he gets the help he needs to get past beign injury prone now that he's joined a competent front office
How has he been a bandaid?

His 17-18 years got interrupted by covid panic and he got injured in his first pro year.

Are you counting him getting screwed by Covid as an injury?

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Feels like the oilers went and did a mini on the fly rebuild and completely revamped the prospect pool in the span of a week. I think Orielly will have a big year with London and possibly be our future 3c after Henrique, and savoie has ppg potential (especially with our top 6 centres) just waiting for bourgault to show something in the pros outside of decent training camp and pre season

Reactions: Oilhawks

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
You have to think Ceci is traded next.

Look down the lineup.

1. We arent trading the core of McDavid, Draisaitl, Hyman, RNH, Ekholm, Bouchard or S.Skinner (too good of a cap hit).

2. Jackson isn't going to trade any of the guys he just signed in Skinner, Arvidsson, Janmark, Henrique, Brown, Perry, Stetcher, Brown or Pickard.

3. Broberg and Holloway are cheap contracts we can't afford to replace. Also trading Ryan doesn't help with the cap.

4. Nurse and Kane both have NMCs. I dont see either one wanting to waive.

That leaves Ceci and Kulak. I really don't see any reason to keep Ceci over Kulak at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad