Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I wonder if Jackson actually sees both Perry and Ryan on the team next year. I don’t its a great idea personally.
Why not? Ryan is a safe player and does just fine as 4C while making peanuts. Can easily be scratched if someone else is better. Why wouldn't you keep him around as 12/13/14?
Perry we paid 400K too much but oh well. He shouldn't be making more than Brown or Janmark unless there is more to what he brings to the team.

Reactions: Zerotonine

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
signing Perry above league min when not signing him at all was a valid option is the biggest headscratcher so far. Gagner has way better legs/ way more game left in him than Perry. Theres definitely budget UFAs that smoke em both. Id rather run Lavoie.
I think Perry is like an additional coach on this team.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Perry can be waived and the cap can come off, I think they will actually send him down as a paper transaction and then have his agent send a memo out that he will retire if anyone else selects him so don't bother to get cap compliant.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Perry can be waived and the cap can come off, I think they will actually send him down as a paper transaction and then have his agent send a memo out that he will retire if anyone else selects him so don't bother to get cap compliant.
Club didn't sign Perry to play in Bakersfield. He has 1311 regular season games and another 215 playoff games in the NHL. If they don't play him enough he'll retire... wait to get inducted into the HOF.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Club didn't sign Perry to play in Bakersfield. He has 1311 regular season games and another 215 playoff games in the NHL. If they don't play him enough he'll retire.

He won't play for Bakersfield but the contract is 1.15 so they can send him down as a paper transaction to get cap compliant to start the season, without a cap penalty. The full cap hit comes off. Then I'm guessing the plan is to put Kane on LTIR to start the season, but if they are cap compliant with Kane on day 1, they get the benefit of being able to accrue cap.

Reactions: TheGingaNinja

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
perry at 1.4 is still worth his regular season production. He hit a wall in the playoffs but in the regular season scored 12 in 54 games. It is quite possible that he hits 15 this year. Add in off ice leadership.

Brown is particularly getting paid for his regular season, combined with him taking a discount and probably a touch of a reminder on what we paid him last year.

Ryan is fine for what he’s here for. Him and Perry probably won’t play all 82 games.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Why not? Ryan is a safe player and does just fine as 4C while making peanuts. Can easily be scratched if someone else is better. Why wouldn't you keep him around as 12/13/14?
Perry we paid 400K too much but oh well. He shouldn't be making more than Brown or Janmark unless there is more to what he brings to the team.

Well Ryan wasn’t safe in the playoffs.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Askarov

Ryan was out closing out games defending one goal leads.
He was much safer than most on the team including McD and Drai.
He absolutely was not, Draisaitl when he could barely move maybe, but he was not out there more than to take the face off.

He had a largely rough playoff and he'll be an extra forward this year.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Well not really. I mean he was able to get players to sign team friendly deals because we almost won the cup.

But JJ has been amazing. I just wish we never had Chiarelli honestly. I think we would of been so much further ahead without him.
Also, sure, but remember how you have to be really patient and you can't squeeze anyone?

JJ has the advantage of the Cup run, but is maximizing it to the benefit of the team. He also is more proactive about all of this, because Skinner has eventually came because the Oilers kept checking in.

Holland did do great work here, but JJ is showing what a proactive, aggressive and progressive GM can do

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He absolutely was not, Draisaitl when he could barely move maybe, but he was not out there more than to take the face off.

He had a largely rough playoff and he'll be an extra forward this year.
Knob had nothing but praise for Ryan after he was injected into the lineup and he mentioned him feeling comfortable sending Ryan out to close out games.
I don't see how you can single him out when almost all of bottom 9 was hit and miss in playoffs.

12/13 of Perry , Ryan is just fine

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Knob had nothing but praise for Ryan after he was injected into the lineup and he mentioned him feeling comfortable sending Ryan out to close out games.
I don't see how you can single him out when almost all of bottom 9 was hit and miss in playoffs.

12/13 of Perry , Ryan is just fine
I mean if this what you believe you saw, fair enough.

The playoffs and my review of it was quite different.

On faceoffs he was decent and he was big part of the epic PK, but he was not good 5 on 5 and he was not protecting leads beyond the faceoff on his strong side.

And of course Knoblauch praised him, Knoblauch is a good and thoughtful coach

Reactions: McBooya42

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
With the McLeod deal it seems like they’ve positioned themselves to be able to sign Holloway and Broberg and get under the cap for day 1 with some paper transactions and running a 21 man roster.
The longer Holloway remains unsigned there is a chance he becomes the trade chip used to upgrade on Ceci.

We have enough top 9 wingers without him.

Eg. Ceci+Holloway for Carlo

Leaves us with just Broberg to sign while being just 1M over cap.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I mean if this what you believe you saw, fair enough.

The playoffs and my review of it was quite different.

On faceoffs he was decent and he was big part of the epic PK, but he was not good 5 on 5 and he was not protecting leads beyond the faceoff on his strong side.

And of course Knoblauch praised him, Knoblauch is a good and thoughtful coach
It was more than just draws.. Knob sent him out with McDavid late in games if defending.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
It was more than just draws.. Knob sent him out with McDavid late in games if defending.
Ryan barely played and still managed to be a - like every game.

1720286582136.jpeg

1720286928420.jpeg

Last edited:

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
For all the advanced stats guys out there, how does Henri Jokiharju look as a 2nd pairing upgrade on Ceci?

I know he just signed a 1-year extension, but would he be a smart trade target?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad