Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
I just don’t see nurse being moved in any trade that doesn’t make us a worse team by way of retention or a worse contract back. Best course of action is finding a D partner he can play his best with. Who that might be? No idea I just know it’s not ceci

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
So they valued draft picks and prospects over Cap Space. The only real season they "save" anything on the cap is this year. The year they have 3.225M on Brown and now 3.01M dead buyout cap. So they are now down 6.335M this year.

Campbell buyout "Savings."

24/25: 1.15 + 1.1 = 2.25 Million "Saving" 2.75 M
25/26: 1.15 + 2.3 = 3.45 Million "Saving" 1.55M
26/27: 1.15 + 2.6 = 3.75 Million "Saving" 1.25M

Next three years = No "Savings." All 1.5 million dollar penalties.

They could have saved 5 million a year. Instead they are losing over 2M to almost 4M a year on the first three. Then another 1.5M for the three after that.

Add in that any player they acquired would replace another say 2 or 3 million dollar player and you just gave up on a 7- 8 million dollar winger for Drai.

To me, that's frustrating when you really look at the numbers.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
So they valued draft picks and prospects over Cap Space. The only real season they save anything on the cap is this year. The year they have 3.225M on Brown and now 3.01M dead buyout cap. so they are now down 6.335M this year.

They could have saved 5 million a year. Instead they are losing over 2M to almost 4M a year on the first three. Then another 1.5M for the three after that.

Add in that any player they acquired would replace another say 2 or 3 million dollar player and you just gave up on a 7- 8 million dollar winger for Drai.

Nobody was trading for JC even if we attached the picks. And if we retained 50% for 3 years that’s 2.5 dead cap each year. We need that 3.9 this year 2.5 doesn’t cut it. If we want to keep McDrai we cannot go back into the season with out a winger for Leon. This will allow us to sign that winger

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Interesting Debrusk quotes this year:

January: " I want to win a Cup here in Boston "

May: “ That’s the biggest thing. I think that’s all I want to do now is to win a Stanley Cup. So that’s number one priority. Just going to go and it’s probably what I’ll look for.”

A pajama boy discount to Edmonton would give him a great shot at a Cup. Didn't seem to budge for Boston though, but at times I remember him being a scapegoat in Boston at times, so maybe he's not as enamored with that situation as it may look. I don't think we can go wrong with adding Jake as long as the cap hit is manageable. If we stretch out the term and he takes that slight Pajama boy discount, maybe we can afford him.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
So they valued draft picks and prospects over Cap Space. The only real season they "save" anything on the cap is this year. The year they have 3.225M on Brown and now 3.01M dead buyout cap. So they are now down 6.335M this year.

Which draft picks do you think would be required to dump all of Campbell’s deal? If you think it can be done with middle round picks and mediocre prospects you’re out to lunch.

Yes, keeping what would probably be multiple first round picks (or equivalent) is better than absorbing the completely irrelevant penalty of what will probably be at most 2% of the cap by the time the penalty years kick in.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Nobody was trading for JC even if we attached the picks. And if we retained 50% for 3 years that’s 2.5 dead cap each year. We need that 3.9 this year 2.5 doesn’t cut it. If we want to keep McDrai we cannot go back into the season with out a winger for Leon. This will allow us to sign that winger
You don't get 3.9M. You get 2.75M. You actually lose 2.25M but whose counting? ;) Sounds better to the masses when you talk about the "Savings." while really not doing the math.

That "We must win next year and need the cap space now." is exactly why Neal got bought out by Holland. Still paying for that. Didn't win anything that year either.

The going rate for 2mil over 3 years is a second round draft pick.

Reactions: foshizzle

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Which draft picks do you think would be required to dump all of Campbell’s deal? If you think it can be done with middle round picks and mediocre prospects you’re out to lunch.

Yes, keeping what would probably be multiple first round picks (or equivalent) is better than absorbing the completely irrelevant penalty of what will probably be at most 2% of the cap by the time the penalty years kick in.
The penalty years kick in this coming season.

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
JC wasn't an overpaid forward that a team can hide

He's a full 5 mil dead cap...the guy was relegated to the AHL, even with us retaining any team looking to take on that much dead cap over 3 years is likely asking for a 1st +

If any team would have been even the least bit interested, JJ would have made the move...this was our only option

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
We save $3.9M this season. Savings, not penalty.

Also moot point - you skipped over the thesis of your post. What do you truly think it would take to add to Campbell to dump him completely?
They save 1.2 million over 6 years instead of burying him a savings of 200 k a year that's it

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
disagree. I think a healthy Kane can still be a huge boon to this team.

That's assuming he CAN get healthy, of course...
The bigger boon would be the accrued salary from his contract at next year's trade deadline.

Kane leeching points off of our skill lines has benefitted us very little since he first arrived. His game evaporated when he was removed from those skill lines. And the numerous occasions where his teammates had to ream him out isn't a trend that's likely to correct as this player heads deeper into his 30s.

Foegele was a more impactful player this year both regular season and postseason. And it's unaminimous that him making more than $3m AAV next year means he's gone.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
You don't get 3.9M. You get 2.75M. You actually lose 2.25M but whose counting? ;) Sounds better to the masses when you talk about the "Savings." while really not doing the math.

That "We must win next year and need the cap space now." is exactly why Neal got bought out by Holland. Still paying for that. Didn't win anything that year either.

The going rate for 2mil over 3 years is a second round draft pick.

Which one of RNH, Hyman or Kane would you prefer to not have on the Oilers with Neal in their place?

That’s the choice you’re making if they didn’t buy him out.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
We save $3.9M this season. Savings, not penalty.

Also moot point - you skipped over the thesis of your post. What do you truly think it would take to add to Campbell to dump him completely?
Math.

You only "save" 2.7 because 1.15M can be buried in the minors.

You are penalized 2.3 (much more in years 2 and 3) because you could have saved 5 million but shiny draft picks and prospects are more important.

I already stated it, but I'll repeat myself. ;)

The going rate for 2 mil over three years is a 2nd round draft pick. He was an UFA. Just act like you had to trade for him.

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
The bigger boon would be the accrued salary from his contract at next year's trade deadline.

Kane leeching points off of our skill lines has benefitted us very little since he first arrived. His game evaporated when he was removed from those skill lines. And the numerous occasions where his teammates had to ream him out isn't a trend that's likely to correct as this player heads deeper into his 30s.

Foegele was a more impactful player this year both regular season and postseason. And it's unaminimous that him making more than $3m AAV next year means he's gone.
To be fair tho, how many points would hyman or nuge get playing in the bottom 6? I don't think any player putting up any points on any line is "leeching" points

Reactions: harpoon

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Math.

You only "save" 2.7 because 1.15M can be buried in the minors.

You are penalized 2.3 (much more in years 2 and 3) because you could have saved 5 million but shiny draft picks and prospects are more important.

I already stated it, but I'll repeat myself. ;)

The going rate for 2 mil over three years is a 2nd round draft pick. He was an UFA. Just act like you had to trade for him.

Hilarious that you think a team would eat that deal for a second.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 8
    Staked: $30,350.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00