Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
$500K adds up fast.

If you gotta cut corners in the cap world, do it on the bottom of the roster players IMO. I’m sure they probably offered him something reasonable but decided to go for a bit more
Like I said, I'll have to see how our free agency finishes off. We very well could have needed that 500K to make our team overall better. But I can't make that call right now. If we are capped out and needed every last bit to get Skinner or legit 4RD to replace Ceci, maybe it'll all make sense in the end. On it's surface though I think Vinny is fine at 2M.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
$2M for Vinny is not that bad of an overpay considering guys like Josh Brown at 1M guys. Vinny has to be worth more than that.
1mil can be buried in the AHL at no cost. Canucks are paying 3.5mil to have Forbort-Desharnais play on their bottom pair. Two guys who can't skate and can't move the puck. Thats a matchup heaven for any team with a good transition, speed, and cycle game.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
1mil can be buried in the AHL at no cost. Canucks are paying 3.5mil to have Forbort-Desharnais play on their bottom pair. Two guys who can't skate and can't move the puck. Thats a matchup heaven for any team with a good transition, speed, and cycle game.
I don't know. I think Vinny's skating and puck moving are grossly underrated post the Dallas series. He can skate and he can move the puck.

We had approximately 3.75M on our bottom pair last year and they were a great bottom pair. And throughout most of the regular season, Vinny was better than Kulak on that pair.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I don't know. I think Vinny's skating and puck moving are grossly underrated post the Dallas series. He can skate and he can move the puck.

We had approximately 3.75M on our bottom pair last year and they were a great bottom pair. And throughout most of the regular season, Vinny was better than Kulak on that pair.
His skating and puck moving is terrible, no way is it underrated

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You don't get the emotion attached to the Franchise you cheer for potentially hiring a person who covered up sexual assault?
Again, this emotion is nothing new. Seems people will find any reason to get up in arms about the GM.

If the NHL finds that he's paid his penalty and Jeff Jackson does his due diligence and finds that he's the best suited applicant, are we not at a point where both of those parties have a better idea of this person's character?

I'd prefer we not hire him because his career shows a reactive GM that isn't hesitant to make impulsive decisions. And we've seen in the past that that's a poor quality. But I have no input on whether he's the most 'connected'. And that's seemingly Jeff Jackson's priority.

Last edited:

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

He got healthy scratched in the playoffs for a reason. And his calling card, being big and physical, is overstated outside of the bear hug memes.

Reactions: subnet

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
If the Oilers add Skinner, their top-9 is set. I don't love Kane at his price in the bottom-6, but I can't see him fitting in anywhere else.

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Skinner-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Kane-Mcleod-Holloway
Lavoie-_____-Brown

I'm hoping Lavoie makes the jump this upcoming season, that's a very deep group.

Reactions: Vagabond

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Aldrich resigned. Bowman hushed it down and swept it under the rug.

Do you're saying that Aldrich was summarily removed from his duties as soon as possible?

As for it being swept under the rug - that's Human Resources call. No manager is getting something like this on their desk and doing literally anything aside from saying "god f***ing damn it" and calling HR.

And I can't really imagine any HR professional wanting to publically broadcast that they employees are raping other employees, I'm not in HR myself but that seems like a great way to get sued to hell and back.

I also imagine Beach at the time didn't exactly want it to be public forum.

Reactions: belair

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He got healthy scratched in the playoffs for a reason. And his calling card, being big and physical, is overstated outside of the bear hug memes.
So did Brown and Perry. A bad small sample stretch where he struggled against the best in the west while injured is why he was benched for an emerging and really good Broberg. For me, that's not enough to excuse 2 years of solid and uptrending play by Vinny. Hmm i think he's plenty physical and his opponents feel it.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
His skating and puck moving is terrible, no way is it underrated
It's not. Underrated.

He rarely gave turnovers throughout his time here. He rarely got in trouble with his skating. He did against Dallas while injured and now this underserved reputation will follow him along forever I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad