Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

Hollywood55

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
Video coach, and they fired him and fully intended to dump the guy when they found out about him, but did the usual corporate thing of keeping it quiet to avoid bad publicity during a cup run while making it go away in the offseason in the hopes no one would notice.

Quenville is the one that wrote the letter of recommendation(since he was part of the coaching staff)
Thanks for correcting me. I got the details wrong.

Reactions: Tarus

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
I really hope Jackson doesn't hire Bowman.

Plus I wish we kept Desharnais as the 3rd RD over Ceci. It sucks even more that he went to Vancouver.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
So why was Bowman such a bad GM hockey wise?

I said in the Bowman thread. Basically a lot of the same stuff Red Wings fans complained about with Holland. Didn’t make their rebuild any easier. Did do a decent job of retooling between Cups but they also had more holes than a lot of outsiders would like to admit

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
This could be the hold up on Janmark. Maybes it’s Skinner or Janmark? Different roles of course but probably a similar amount of cap
Imo they should have enough for both if Skinner signs at a price Edmonton should be willing to do.

From a career standpoint a 1-year 2mil deal with Edmonton makes the most sense for Skinner. Not only does he get a chance at a cup with a team that just lost game 7 by 1 goal, but he also gets to play with one of the top 2 centres of this generation and can cash in next summer. He's already making a ton on his buyout that taking a 2mil deal shouldn't bother him when it could benefit him immensely in the long run.

Reactions: Oilhawks

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Because you have some moral decency, right?

Right?

I mean, not to defend Bowman, but from a devil's advocate perspective - he did fire the guy as soon as he found out. Literally what else would you expect he do? Is that even his call in the first place? Or is it not fair to say that that decision is not strictly in HR's court of responsibility?

Sure he kept it quiet during the playoffs run, but I kind of think literally every other GM in the league probably does the same thing. I think if you're worried about a GM handling that situation in the most modern way - Bowman is probably the best guy to hire for the role arguably because I can guarantee he had learnings and perspective that no one else does at this stage.

That said - I'm not exactly convinced that Bowman is necessarily a great GM outside of that, so I'm still not exactly sold.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Bowman had some exceptional years at the beginning, and he's at least a lateral move from Holland imo. He's good at drafting and development and understands the human aspect of the game like Holland. He has his strengths. People are upset but we have the same structure as Chicago did when Bowman was president but here he would just be GM.

IDGAF about the scandal tho. He handled it exactly as anyone else would have. He didn't protect the abuser, he protected the organization imo

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Zadorov skates way better than Vinny, has more offence, and is much more physically punishing. I wouldn't want either at those prices though.
$2M for Vinny is not that bad of an overpay considering guys like Josh Brown at 1M guys. Vinny has to be worth more than that.

Reactions: Vagabond

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
He is. And Vinny would only be 500K overpaid if that...

Z came off a 3.75M contract.

$500K adds up fast.

If you gotta cut corners in the cap world, do it on the bottom of the roster players IMO. I’m sure they probably offered him something reasonable but decided to go for a bit more

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I mean, not to defend Bowman, but from a devil's advocate perspective - he did fire the guy as soon as he found out. Literally what else would you expect he do? Is that even his call in the first place? Or is it not fair to say that that decision is not strictly in HR's court of responsibility?

Sure he kept it quiet during the playoffs run, but I kind of think literally every other GM in the league probably does the same thing. I think if you're worried about a GM handling that situation in the most modern way - Bowman is probably the best guy to hire for the role arguably because I can guarantee he had learnings and perspective that no one else does at this stage.

That said - I'm not exactly convinced that Bowman is necessarily a great GM outside of that, so I'm still not exactly sold.
Aldrich resigned. Bowman hushed it down and swept it under the rug.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad