Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Lavoie Vs. Pederson Vs. Sutter Vs. Gagner Vs. Caggiula

Which of these players makes the team?

• Lavoie

Votes: 56 39.4%
  • Pederson

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • Sutter

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Gagner

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • Caggiula

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Bourgault

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Petrov

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other (specify in a post)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • None of them makes the team, we'll start with 11 forwards

Votes: 8 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Kings look like a more complete roster on top of how they play us I would want to avoid them next playoffs.
Maybe, but they were only in that series as long as Korpisalo could maintain ultra instinct. Once the he started to fall apart mentally, we were putting 4-5 past him and they just don't have enough steam offensively to deal with that, even against our putrid tending.

Their D will improve marginally if Clarke doesn't miss any steps, but they're still a team relying on either aging of Kopitar and Danault, or PLD and Byfield to getting their shit together. The latter seems unlikely, and the former seems like it becomes a more difficult magic trick to perform after each 82 game season. I also don't think Talbot is going to hold it together for them.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Kings look like a more complete roster on top of how they play us I would want to avoid them next playoffs.
I don’t buy it. They gave up a bunch of depth (including one of their best performers in the playoffs against us) they’ve got a pretty weak blue line, Doughty/Kopitar are a year older and they don’t have a goalie.

if we meet them again I’m pretty confident it would be the same result again, they just don’t have the horses offensively.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I don’t buy it. They gave up a bunch of depth (including one of their best performers in the playoffs against us) they’ve got a pretty weak blue line, Doughty/Kopitar are a year older and they don’t have a goalie.

if we meet them again I’m pretty confident it would be the same result again, they just don’t have the horses offensively.
On top of that, Dubois has been dubious at best against us. I don't think he's ever played a good game against us.

• Haha
Reactions: tiger_80

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
@AddyTheWrath just reading through the other thread, sorry about your breakup. It sucks.
I feel your pain, I went through a grueling breakup a few months ago and it's been a real task to get over. Time will heal those wounds my friend, sports is a nice escape so hopefully the Oilers will help to provide that escape.
Appreciate the well wishes, friend. Hope you find brighter days ahead and echoing the sentiment that HFOil is here for you.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022

It's more meh for me. Too much has to go right for Dubois for them to look better:

- If Dubois continues his current trajectory, he won't put them over the edge.
- If he does improve and Vilardi does as well, then it's a wash at best. If Kupari and Iaffalo contribute well enough too, it could still look pretty bad for kings.
- Dubois isn't as good defensively as Vilardi IIRC, so his offensive output has to be significant enough to cover that, which he hasn't shown to do.

On top of that, Doughty and Kopitar are aging and didn't look great in the last series. The guy they are hoping to take the reigns, Byfield, has not developed well so far. He can still take the next step, he is still young, but it would be a massive leap to go from somewhat disappointing to top 6 center.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I don't think their depth looks that bad.

fcb18081d9f49ef28d0d60778619ee5f.png

That's a damn good third line that can comfortably match up against McDavid.

I actually don't mind their D too. Matt Roy is underrated. He and Gavrikov will be a decent second pairing. Brandt Clarke could be scary as soon as next year too.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Disagree. They lost some good depth for an overrated top 6C that is prone to entitled play and have questionable goaltending. Not enamoured with their other moves either. They will be a good team again but shouldn’t be the team to beat.

The Oilers shouldn’t be facing them in the first round again as the Oilers should be winning the division
Doughty and Kopitar are also a year older. Both had strong seasons last year after less successful years the year before. Doughty in particular seems to be showing his age. He struggled during the playoffs, and with the changes that LA made on the back end he and Gavrikov may have to carry an even bigger part of the load this year.

Reactions: Oilhawks

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I actually don't mind their D too. Matt Roy is underrated. He and Gavrikov will be a decent second pairing. Brandt Clarke could be scary as soon as next year too.

I think the Kings are a good team. I think they finish in the top 3. I think a lot media dont give them enough credit. Not an easy matchup.

But Oilers third line depth would look a lot better (on paper) if we put Holloway on the first line. And put Foegele on the second line. And then had RNH and Hyman on the third line.

Kempe is a hell of a player though.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

The strength of that lineup really depends a lot on Byfield becoming a player, and Kaliyev being more than just a shooter. Not to mention Dubois living up to his reputation (I think he's heavily overrated). The depth on paper goes away fast if Byfield/Kaliyev can't hack it in an every day top 6 role.

I think the Kings are a good team. I think they finish in the top 3. I think a lot media dont give them enough credit. Not an easy matchup.

But Oilers third line depth would look a lot better if we put Holloway on the first line. And put Foegele on the second line. And then had RNH and Hyman on the third line.

I spoke to soon haha. This pretty much sums it up.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

But Oilers third line depth would look a lot better (on paper) if we put Holloway on the first line. And put Foegele on the second line. And then had RNH and Hyman on the third line.

The strength of that lineup really depends a lot on Byfield becoming a player, and Kaliyev being more than just a shooter. Not to mention Dubois living up to his reputation (I think he's heavily overrated). The depth on paper goes away fast if Byfield/Kaliyev can't hack it in an every day top 6 role.

I spoke to soon haha. This pretty much sums it up.
I'm a big Byfield and Kaliyev fan, but maybe that's because I'm an OHL homer. I think Byfield will keep progressing. He had a nice 30ish game stretch at a 50 point pace last year when they moved him up the lineup. I'd say Kaliyev is already more than just a shooter too. His defensive play has been his strongest point so far weirdly enough. Playing with an 80 and 60 point player won't hurt either.

I'm not saying the Kings are going to beat the Oilers, but I think they're going to be a tougher matchup than some think. Three big centers with that kind of skill that can matchup against McDavid and Drai is pretty scary.

Reactions: Anarchism

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I'm a big Byfield and Kaliyev fan, but maybe that's because I'm an OHL homer. I think Byfield will keep progressing. He had a nice 30ish game stretch at a 50 point pace last year when they moved him up the lineup. I'd say Kaliyev is already more than just a shooter too. His defensive play has been his strongest point so far weirdly enough. Playing with an 80 and 60 point player won't hurt either.

I'm not saying the Kings are going to beat the Oilers, but I think they're going to be a tougher matchup than some think. Three big centers with that kind of skill that can matchup against McDavid and Drai is pretty scary.

I think the Kings are a good team. But I personally just dont think they are going to go anywhere until they get a new coach. I think McLellan has good systems in the regular season. But he fails to adjust in the post season (because hes too stubborn) and I also dont think hes good with young players. For a team with so many high young picks, a lot of them just havent really panned out.

I dont watch the Kings enough outside of Oilers games to have a great grasp on them. But whenever I watch Byfield against Edmonton, he seems DREADFUL to me. I cant believe they picked him over Stutzle (thank god honestly). Hopefully for his sake, he picks it up. 8 goals in 100 NHL games is sad.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta

I could see Doughty hitting LTIR before the deadline.
Maybe Blake gets a vet tender at the deadline and a winger.
IF they get the right guys and we meet first round could be a hell of a 6 or 7 games.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think the Kings are a good team. But I personally just dont think they are going to go anywhere until they get a new coach. I think McLellan has good systems in the regular season. But he fails to adjust in the post season (because hes too stubborn) and I also dont think hes good with young players. For a team with so many high young picks, a lot of them just havent really panned out.

I dont watch the Kings enough outside of Oilers games to have a great grasp on them. But whenever I watch Byfield against Edmonton, he seems DREADFUL to me. I cant believe they picked him over Stutzle (thank god honestly). Hopefully for his sake, he picks it up. 8 goals in 100 NHL games is sad.
I think he was a guy that was always going to take a bit more time.

His bread and butter has always been his playmaking and he had insane amounts of time and space in the OHL because he's so freaky athletically. It's going to take him some time to figure out how to play in smaller windows in the big league.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

Kings are a good team under the God awful trap. Once they open up fast team's expose the hell out of them. But they do have a really good third line, something EDM really needs if they want to win a cup IMO. Bottom 6 is no where near good enough.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Kopitar cant really matchup against them anymore.

He's been exposed 2 playoffs in a row.

Reactions: soothsayer

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I could see Doughty hitting LTIR before the deadline.
Maybe Blake gets a vet tender at the deadline and a winger.
IF they get the right guys and we meet first round could be a hell of a 6 or 7 games.

The key is to not dick around at points in the regular season again this year and win the division. Would be nice to enter the 2nd round against what will inevitably be a difficult opponent without having to go through a 6 or 7 game battle in the first round again.

I'm hopeful that maybe, finally, the team doesn't go up and down in October/November and then crater in December like they have been doing annually since forever.

Last edited:
Reactions: barry halls

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
It's kind of weird.

He got obliterated against Draisaitl this year while sawing off even vs. McDavid, but it was the opposite the year before.
Danault is definitely a great matchup center though, especially with how much obstruction that trap team is allowed to do.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Danault is definitely a great matchup center though, especially with how much obstruction that trap team is allowed to do.
Yeah. He's the main guy I'd be worried about. Moore has always been good as a matchup guy too and he'll fit right in on the third line in Iaffallo's spot with Danault.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Yeah. He's the main guy I'd be worried about. Moore has always been good as a matchup guy too and he'll fit right in on the third line in Iaffallo's spot with Danault.
Part of the reason they win their matchups so much is due to the extremely high save% they have while on the ice, but I think part of that is due to how they play the game, always taking away the higher danger scoring areas, part luck.

Moore is their only "Center" with above a 50% xGF in the last 2 playoffs against the Oilers.

Reactions: McDNicks17

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Gregor just said he thinks we sign another forward to league minimum because that's all they have available.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Gregor just said he thinks we sign another forward to league minimum because that's all they have available.
Unless we send Holloway down, I don't really see where they would play.

I know some people think we need a #4C, but I think that's Pederson's spot just because you kind of need someone there that you don't mind waiving to begin the season(to give Lavoie a shot) and who doesn't mind basically being a 13th forward because I think they're going to play a decent bit of 11-7 again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad