Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Willing to bet the only way to avoid a Broberg offer sheet would have been to trade him mid season last year when his value was likely at an all time low.
Or trade Kulak last summer and give Broberg the runway to earn a healthy raise on his natural side. He was upset that the organization never showed that he was in their immediate plans. You can't really argue that. He wasn't going to be a top four defenseman here for a long while.

This is just proof that overcooking your prospects can also have a bad outcome. This is an organization that was heavily criticized for rushing its prospects for many years.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Or trade Kulak last summer and give Broberg the runway to earn a healthy raise on his natural side. He was upset that the organization never showed that he was in their immediate plans. You can't really argue that. He wasn't going to be a top four defenseman here for a long while.

This is just proof that overcooking your prospects can also have a bad outcome. This is an organization that was heavily criticized for rushing its prospects for many years.
This club can't afford to just bank on prospects to step up though. For how long were prospects going to come up and take a spot, but never really did.

Trade Kulak and Broberg doesn't take the next step, then where are we at? Playoff teams generally don't make those kind of moves, especially ones that had Nurse and Ceci that you weren't sure what kind consistency you'd get out of them.

Broberg's attitude is to blame here too. Why did Vinny get more of a shot than Broberg?

Because he worked his ass off in practice and stayed late with the coaches to continue to work on his game. Broberg should've been doing the same.

Reactions: Duke74

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Wonder if there would be interested from Lindstrom, Klingberg, Barrie or Schultz for a PTO at league minimum.
Sales point should be easy, all you have to do is beat out Stetcher, Brown or Emberson.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Wonder if there would be interested from Lindstrom, Klingberg, Barrie or Schultz for a PTO at league minimum.
Sales point should be easy, all you have to do is beat out Stetcher, Brown or Emberson.
You have to think all their agents are reaching out to the Oilers themselves at this point. Kinda be like Barrie the first time he came here. Came knowing that if he gets a chance to play on the top pp that he'd boost his value for next contract.

Although for Klingberg I have no idea if he's even healthy. And who knows about Schultz as his first stint was pretty horrible experience, although Comrie did once return.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
You have to think all their agents are reaching out to the Oilers themselves at this point. Kinda be like Barrie the first time he came here. Came knowing that if he gets a chance to play on the top pp that he'd boost his value for next contract.

Although for Klingberg I have no idea if he's even healthy. And who knows about Schultz as his first stint was pretty horrible experience, although Comrie did once return.

Klingberg could be worth a PTO and nothing more, however Barrie and Schultz seem like safer options and I doubt we'd be able to get more than one of those names in.

I'd like to think Schultz would be open to returning as the entire front office has changed since he was last here and the fans are in a better place emotionally.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Oh it’s this guy. He was a Skinner believer.

His take has pretty much been debunked by Armstrongs “woulda f***ed over my mom” comment too.

He's usually pretty funny and I like his format/graphics. Still learning his craft and how to be a professional though. Doesn't help that Nielson and crew can be unprofessional an immature at times.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I have been beating this drum for a while now. Hopefully the brass thinks so.

Id have to think that this was already explored. It could be that salary or opportunity wasn't enough for the player. We already have 4 players (Embersen, Stetcher, Brown and Carrick) capable of bottom RD.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Id have to think that this was already explored. It could be that salary or opportunity wasn't enough for the player. We already have 4 players (Embersen, Stetcher, Brown and Carrick) capable of bottom RD.
Yeah if you're going to explore something like this, a veteran like Marco Scandella on a cheap deal might be worth exploring for depth.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Neilson is the worst.

His shows have mostly devolved into self-indulgent talk about food and tv shows and inside jokes, and begging for likes and subscribers. The content is only pertinent to the EST staff and the few dozen so-called "nasties". Have to wonder how long EST can last because I don't see them growing their audience beyond what it is now.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
This club can't afford to just bank on prospects to step up though. For how long were prospects going to come up and take a spot, but never really did.

Trade Kulak and Broberg doesn't take the next step, then where are we at? Playoff teams generally don't make those kind of moves, especially ones that had Nurse and Ceci that you weren't sure what kind consistency you'd get out of them.
You’d have been at the spot where you’re looking to trade a ~2nd or 3rd round pick for a bottom pair D-man capable of playing 15 minutes of sheltered hockey a night. Let’s not act like that’s a hard thing to do.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
His shows have mostly devolved into self-indulgent talk about food and tv shows and inside jokes, and begging for likes and subscribers. The content is only pertinent to the EST staff and the few dozen so-called "nasties". Have to wonder how long EST can last because I don't see them growing their audience beyond what it is now.
I hate that term Nasties him and Gazzola use.

But for me, I caught Neilson provide some information a couple weeks back that was just plain incorrect. Lazy and immature is my sense of Neilson’s work.

Yeh I’m not sure how well EST is doing. But this City went from like One podcast (Cult) plus Oilers now to exploding to like 3-5 competing podcasts in 1 year. And none of them hold a candle to GYB. Seems a bit of a crowded space now, but I guess as a fan I can’t complain. More options for me.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Klingberg could be worth a PTO and nothing more, however Barrie and Schultz seem like safer options and I doubt we'd be able to get more than one of those names in.

I'd like to think Schultz would be open to returning as the entire front office has changed since he was last here and the fans are in a better place emotionally.
Are they? Fans are just as crazy as ever

Reactions: nabob

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Wonder if this was before the offer sheet and the Oilers walking or not.

If I was his agent, I probably would tell him this wouldn't be a bad fit. Look at the money Desharnais and Broberg just got paid, being on a high profile team like the Oilers can get you paid.

Ekholm Bouchard
Nurse Lindstrom
Kulak Stetcher
Emberson

Could work.

Last edited:

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Wonder if this was before the offer sheet and the Oilers walking or not.

If I was his agent, I probably would tell him this wouldn't be a bad fit. Look at the money Desharnais and Broberg just got paid, being on a high profile team like the Oilers can get you paid.

Ekholm Bouchard
Nurse Lindstrom
Kulak Stetcher
Emberson

Could work.

Playing on bad teams certainly doesn't seem to have gotten him noticed.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Then we trade Kulak and Broberg falls on his face like he had in every other NHL opportunity. Yeah then we’re in a great place. So now they’ve been criticized for rushing prospects (not sure which ones) and now you’re criticizing them for overcooking them. Funny how a month ago no one was saying they should have traded Kulak a year ago and that Broberg should have just been guaranteed a starting spot…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad