Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
So the upside is we get 3 years IF this goalie that Nashville who knows him best decided wouldn’t be in their future.
At this point, it doesn't matter what Nashville thinks of Askarov. It what return can Nashville get for him

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I'd take DeAngelo over Schultz. By the end of his tenure Jultz was my least favorite Oiler ever.
In true Oilers fashion, he reinvented himself and won 2 cups.

The potential was always there, it just took another coaching staff and a change of scenery to make it happen.

Things are obviously a little better here than when he left.

I'm not sure who I'd rather have out of the group of available players. I might lean towards Jultz, but part of me wants to roll the dice on DeAngelo. You've already hired Bowman, signed Kane and Perry, it's not like you have a reputation to uphold.

Last edited:

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Yes, thanks.. I'm mistaken.. here's the compensation for siging an RFA

AAVCompensation
$1 - $1,511,701None
$1,5111,701 - $2,290,4571 3rd-round pick
$2,290,457 - $4,580,9171 2nd-round pick
$4,580,917 - $6,871,3741 1st-round pick, 1 3rd-round pick
$6,871,374 - $9,161,8341 1st-round pick, 1 2nd-round pick, 1 3rd-round pick
$9,161,834 - $11,452,2942 1st-round picks, 1 2nd-round pick, 1 3rd-round pick
$11,452,294 or more4 1st-round picks

Thanks for posting this. I need to rant because our sports media guys are idiots. It's like calling tech support and they just give you the generic responses instead of actually looking into more complicated questions. Oilers fans ask smart, complicated questions and are constantly laughed at like we don't know the rules.

1. I distinctly remember fans texting into 1440 and asking, "Why don't the Oilers offer a guy Seider a 9M AAV contract?" To which they said the Oilers can't afford the cost to acquire him as it would be 4 picks. It's clearly not - it would be a 1st, 2nd and 3rd. It's not hard to look up this information. Also they didn't even mention that the Oilers don't own their own picks.

2. Fans texted in to ask if Blues/Oilers could negotiate on higher compensation. They laughed it off and saying it's an all or nothing scenario. Sure technically you can't change the offer sheet but as Bowman showed us, he was able to negotiate an extra pick and prospect and increase the compensation.

I swear these "sports" guys need to do their research or stop coming across as so arrogant.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
At this point, it doesn't matter what Nashville thinks of Askarov. It what return can Nashville get for him
It just says a bit about the prospect. Nashville are in win now mode just like us. Had a choice to go with Askarov or Saros. There was logic to go with the younger goalie and cash out on Saros in a trade. But they chose against that logic for a lack of trust in Askarov. So we’d have to figure out what scared Nashville away from their own drafted and developed prospect.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Also David Staples, Bob Stauffer and YTT make me upset. They are all in mourning and throwing whoever they can under the bus for this. Staples compared it the Adam Graves (50 goal scorer) offer sheet and YTT thinks Holloway is going to be a 70 point player.

Just some real absurd overreactions.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Also David Staples, Bob Stauffer and YTT make me upset. They are all in mourning and throwing whoever they can under the bus for this. Staples compared it the Adam Graves (50 goal scorer) offer sheet and YTT thinks Holloway is going to be a 70 point player.

Who are they throwing under the bus? I know Stauff has been with Holland. Are they also saying Holland?

Reactions: McDoused

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I don't know why people listen to anyone in the Edmonton media haha.

There's trolls on here with more brain cells to rub together.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I am surprised so many media are mad. Broberg asked for a trade already. He signed an offer sheet 3 times his worth. He conspired with a teammate to put the Oilers is an even worse spot with a second sheet so it would be even harder to match him.

And people are mad because Holland/Jackson/Bowman didn’t get this guy locked up?

The only way this might have been prevented was if Kulak was moved the previous season. But honestly who knows if it was ever preventable.
Willing to bet the only way to avoid a Broberg offer sheet would have been to trade him mid season last year when his value was likely at an all time low.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
It just says a bit about the prospect. Nashville are in win now mode just like us. Had a choice to go with Askarov or Saros. There was logic to go with the younger goalie and cash out on Saros in a trade. But they chose against that logic for a lack of trust in Askarov. So we’d have to figure out what scared Nashville away from their own drafted and developed prospect.
Askarov isn't likely to steal the role from Saros. On the Oilers, he can take the starting role as Stuart is just average. He doesn't want to be a 3rd stringer right now. He's probably a 3rd stringer on the Oilers as well but at least a change of scenery could make him wait a year before we move Pickard

If I'm being honest, I could see him becoming Gibson. Taking the starting role within 2 years of being backup to Frederik Andersen

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I wouldn’t touch Askarov. If things don’t go just right for him here he’ll whine and pout. If things go well for him here he’ll demand Bobrovsky/Sheshterkin numbers. Cause Russian Goalie gonna Russian Goalie.
Plus, we have Stu Skinner, who is young. Spend resources on a 2nd pair RD or to rebuild the youth of the skaters.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Don't know who YTT is but one of the three is a team employee operating as an extended PR function versus non partisan media. I'm surprise people give credence to Staples opinions which is often hot takes from other qualified people's intellectual thoughts. Funny has been watching Spector yo yo around this situation. Largely a check out writer who's bad with details in his chosen profession up and down on his opinionating like a Ken Holland toilet seat.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Askarov isn't likely to steal the role from Saros. On the Oilers, he can take the starting role as Stuart is just average. He doesn't want to be a 3rd stringer right now. He's probably a 3rd stringer on the Oilers as well but at least a change of scenery could make him wait a year before we move Pickard

If I'm being honest, I could see him becoming Gibson. Taking the starting role within 2 years of being backup to Frederik Andersen
Saros downtrended to average territory last year. And is only getting older. I’d say the prospects of stealing that job would be similar to an uptrending Skinner. At the end of the day, this guy is just a prospect. And a goalie prospect at that. It’s unlikely in general for a goalie prospect to make it at all, there’s no gaurantees he becomes anything. And I think Nashville has reason to believe he won’t be the guy they thought they drafted. Thus them moving on.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Despite all of Anthony Deangelo’s attitude problems, he’s a puck mover and a very good one. I wouldn’t mind giving him a PTO

Reactions: Stud Muffin

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If the Oilers can get Askarov for the assets they recently received and get him to sign an, at least, 1 year extension as part of the deal, it's a great plan for them, imo.

Skinner is a legit NHL starter, so it's not about replacing him, it's about improving the depth. If acquire Askarov then he and Skinner each have strong NHL seasons, you have options for moves going forward.

Despite all of Anthony Deangelo’s attitude problems, he’s a puck mover and a very good one. I wouldn’t mind giving him a PTO
He's sack of shit and not very good.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Plus, we have Stu Skinner, who is young. Spend resources on a 2nd pair RD or to rebuild the youth of the skaters.
Plus Rodrigue is a decent prospect in himself. That we already have and don’t have to spend on. And yeh the priority with our top end assets has to be at 2RD at this point. The goalie position as it was last year, isn’t the priority cause we already have a goalie.

Reactions: Mr Positive

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Who are they throwing under the bus? I know Stauff has been with Holland. Are they also saying Holland?
Stauffer has been ripping Holland

I wouldn’t touch Askarov. If things don’t go just right for him here he’ll whine and pout. If things go well for him here he’ll demand Bobrovsky/Sheshterkin numbers. Cause Russian Goalie gonna Russian Goalie.
Or maybe he just wants a shot to play in the NHL? He's been in the AHL too long and the team that drafted him just signed their starting goalie for 8 years. Look at Askarov's numbers. He is too good for the AHL

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Character issues moreso that attitude. I’d avoid. But the idea of a free puck moving defenceman with some skill is enticing. But he’s also been tossed around and thrown away by contenders who’s seen his work in the playoffs. So I don’t know, he probably ain’t great.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Saros downtrended to average territory last year. And is only getting older. I’d say the prospects of stealing that job would be similar to an uptrending Skinner. At the end of the day, this guy is just a prospect. And a goalie prospect at that. It’s unlikely in general for a goalie prospect to make it at all, there’s no gaurantees he becomes anything. And I think Nashville has reason to believe he won’t be the guy they thought they drafted. Thus them moving on.
Stuart's selling point is that he doesn't cost too much. At 4M or more, for how average he has been. I don't think it's even worth entertaining. That immediately becomes a bad contract like Kosko. Well Askarov is an elite goalie prospect. There's that. Gibson was that so was Vasy

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
If the Oilers can get Askarov for the assets they recently received and get him to sign an, at least, 1 year extension as part of the deal, it's a great plan for them, imo.

Skinner is a legit NHL starter, so it's not about replacing him, it's about improving the depth. If acquire Askarov then he and Skinner each have strong NHL seasons, you have options for moves going forward.

He's sack of shit and not very good.
Or, hear me out, maybe you just hate him and are biased against him ?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I’ve been pushing the idea as well. Some of the best hockey of Nurse’s career was with Barrie as his D partner. Why not give it another shot? It costs you nothing if it doesn’t work out

Barrie is a player that carries coach risk.

By that I mean a player that won't get pushed down or out of the lineup no matter how bad they are because they're "vets" or some other nonsensical intangible. Barrie is one of those players.

His game also isn't what it was even a few years ago, and that was still not that great. I don't think we do any worse with what we have.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Just a loser mentality. This isn't 2003 anymore where we could make a legitimate victim case. We're likely the best team in the league (still), time these fools started acting like it.

A litmus test for me is "if the roles were reversed and this was Flame media, would I be howling in laughter at them and laughing about how pathetic they are?" In this case the answer is "yes" in spades.

Winning cultures shrug their shoulders and say "whatever, we'll work around it. No major loss." Thankfully this is the feel I get from the organization itself. Losers bitch and moan and play victim, and Stauffer just can't stop.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Stauffer has been ripping Holland

Or maybe he just wants a shot to play in the NHL? He's been in the AHL too long and the team that drafted him just signed their starting goalie for 8 years. Look at Askarov's numbers. He is too good for the AHL
Yeh that’s what I said lol. On Stauff.

.911 in the AHL the past 2 years. Lower than Rodrigues performance the last 2 years. And this guy wants to force his way onto an NHL team? 22 is still young for goalies i see zero issue with him still developing at that age as a goalie.

Reactions: Vagabond

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Stuart's selling point is that he doesn't cost too much. At 4M or more, for how average he has been. I don't think it's even worth entertaining. That immediately becomes a bad contract like Kosko. Well Askarov is an elite goalie prospect. There's that. Gibson was that so was Vasy
Stu will get paid what his performance deems. If he continues to be average, we’ll pay him like an average goalie. Or more or less depending on his play up until his extension. As long as he paid appropriately we should be fine.

Samsonov was that too. And Campbell. Still a prospect, and a goalie prospect at that. You don’t really know what you are getting till you see it. His save percentage is lower than Rodrigues the last two years in the AHL too. If he’s so elite why isn’t translating in the AHL? Maybe Nashville knows why, they know goalies well as an organization and know Askarov more than anyone.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Stu will get paid what his performance deems. If he continues to be average, we’ll pay him like an average goalie. Or more or less depending on his play up until his extension. As long as he paid appropriately we should be fine.

Samsonov was that too. And Campbell. Still a prospect, and a goalie prospect at that. You don’t really know what you are getting till you see it. His save percentage is lower than Rodrigues the last two years in the AHL too. If he’s so elite why isn’t translating in the AHL? Maybe Nashville knows why, they know goalies well as an organization and know Askarov more than anyone.
Askarov is trending very well so I don't know what you're getting at. Askarov is asking out cause Saros has been signed to 8 years and Nashville can't give him a spot.

Is Stuart taking 2.5M again if he continues being average?

Reactions: soothsayer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad