Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Our top 6 is the best in the league. Our bottom six has a mix of a very good veteran in Rico, a couple elite PKers and a couple good forecheckers. It’s called the bottom six for a reason.

That's one way to look at it. What I see is two 4th liners playing on the third line and 2 guys who shouldn't be getting regular usage penciled into lineups. Henrique is fine.

But some people have pointed out that there is some valid camp competition and that's a fair claim.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Losing Ceci is the biggest loss from last year's team. The forwards are significantly better. Holloway's regular season contributions will easily be replaced.

It all really depends on what kind of additions they make at the deadline. I think we can probably assume at least one defenceman and winger will be added to this group. Maybe a fourth line centre.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
No we are to slow as it is.
From last years starting lineup, The Oilers have lost youth and speed (McLeod, Holloway, Broberg, Foegle) and replaced them with older (more experienced sigh) slower smaller weaker players (Skinner, Arvidsson, Henrique, Perry...)

Waiver wire pickups are now occupying the 2nd and 3rd pairings.

These moves and others make one believe that they know Drai is not signing long term and that Jackson was brought in to try and get Edmonton a cup before Drai/Connor leave. He purged the youthful mistakes (future) and brought in reliable vets (now).

Hopefully I am wrong. Whether or not Leon signs will be telling in the next few weeks. He is the biggest, second fastest guy on his line again. He will need to dig in the corners and play defense again because Arvidsson is too small and injury prone and Skinner wont. Doubt that makes him overly impressed.

Now they are also league chumps. Bouchard would be crazy not to wait for an offer sheet now because you can guarantee one will be on the way next year. Why would he want to stick around on an old declining team whose first line center is a 33 year old Nuge.

IMO, this offseason has definitely fallen from my original A rating. Oh well, that's the end of my vent.

Hopefully I am wrong and Draisaitl signs in the next few weeks. Cheers!

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
Probably waiting for him to come back to the city so they can have a big press conference. Let them enjoy their summer lol
They can’t have a life. They have to answer to hf posters first and formost. JK.

I don’t care when it happens as long as it does. If it is going to happen, it will happen. Too many happens…..

We all have to step back from the ledge a bit. We have the best and also a top 5 player in the world. Neither has given any indication they may not resign here. Go drink some beer and enjoy the rest of the summer. There is a reason they have let some lower roster players go. The big picture in Edmonton is fine.

• Love
Reactions: nabob

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
That's one way to look at it. What I see is two 4th liners playing on the third line and 2 guys who shouldn't be getting regular usage penciled into lineups. Henrique is fine.

But some people have pointed out that there is some valid camp competition and that's a fair claim.
I agree Janmark and Brown shouldn’t both be on the 3rd line and that Perry and Ryan probably both shouldn’t be in the lineup every night.

But let’s say Savoie impresses out of camp

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Drai-Arvidsson
Savoie-Henrique-Brown
Janmark-Ryan-Podkolzin

All of a sudden looks like it could be pretty good imo. Or replace Savoie with Lavoie or Kane when he’s healthy.

There are plenty of options in the bottom 6 to find a good mix imo.

Our top pair is locked in. Our bottom pair with Kulak and whichever of Stetcher, Brown, Emberson will probably be fine in limited minutes. The big question as it is every year is going to be Nurse and the 2nd pair RHD. We’ve needed an upgrade in that spot for years. We did before any of these trades/offer sheets happened and we still do today.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Savoie would make most clubs 3rd lines. Rico makes most clubs top 6. I think you can’t expect to have such an elite top 6 and then have a super deep bottom 6. Just not reality it a cap world.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
From last years starting lineup, The Oilers have lost youth and speed (McLeod, Holloway, Broberg, Foegle) and replaced them with older (more experienced sigh) slower smaller weaker players (Skinner, Arvidsson, Henrique, Perry...)

These moves and others make one believe that they know Drai is not signing long term and that Jackson was brought in to try and get Edmonton a cup before Drai/Connor leave. He purged the youthful mistakes (future) and brought in reliable vets (now).

Hopefully I am wrong. Whether or not Leon signs will be telling in the next few weeks. He is the biggest, second fastest guy on his line again. He will need to dig in the corners and play defense again because Arvidsson is too small and injury prone and Skinner wont. Doubt that makes him overly impressed.

Now they are also league chumps. Bouchard would be crazy not to wait for an offer sheet now because you can guarantee one will be on the way next year. Why would he want to stick around on an old declining team whose first line center is a 33 year old Nuge.

IMO, this offseason has definitely fallen from my original A rating. Oh well, that's the end of my vent.

Oh wow. So I guess we are in full on panic now? Drai is leaving, McDavid is leaving, Bouchard is leaving! Yikes.

I think the offer sheets should result in somebody being fired, but holy hell, I don't think it affects McDrai signings in the least.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I agree Janmark and Brown shouldn’t both be on the 3rd line and that Perry and Ryan probably both shouldn’t be in the lineup every night.

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Drai-Arvidsson
Savoie-Henrique-Brown
Janmark-Ryan-Podkolzin

All of a sudden looks like it could be pretty good imo. Or replace Savoie with Lavoie or Kane when he’s healthy.

Our top pair is locked in. Our bottom pair with Kulak and whichever of Stetcher, Brown, Emberson will probably be fine in limited minutes. The big question as it is every year is going to be Nurse and the 2nd pair RHD. We’ve needed an upgrade in that spot for years. We did before any of these trades/offer sheets happened and we still do today.

This is a very fair take.

Bottom 6 will be fine, especially once Kane comes back. I think one of the young guys likely comes in and plays more than adequately (Lavoie, Savoie, Podz). Henrique alone makes the bottom 6 better, even at his age and slower boots. We also improved the top 6 from last year, so should have more consistent top 6 scoring. The forwards are more than fine really.

The big issue, as you say, is the 2nd pairing right side. Which is truthfully the exact same problem we had last year as well - and were never able to fix really. The team thought Broberg could be the answer on his off side, but obviously that isn't going to happen now. We have some cap space (will be able to add a ~$4 M player with single retention at TDL I believe) and some trading chips with the additional draft picks (2nd, 3rd, 3rd). I personally don't have any faith that they can land what they need with that combo, but that is very clearly the bet the team is now making.

Reactions: Macblender

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Drai-Arvidsson
Savoie-Henrique-Brown
Janmark-Ryan-Podkolzin

I can also honestly see Hamblin outplaying Ryan in camp to make it in as the 4C, which would give a boost to the speed and forechecking in the bottom-6 (something I do think we'll miss Hollywood for).

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton

Except by all accounts from what we have heard Leon is staying and signing for 8 years it’s just the details that are being worked out. Do you think Tampa was sitting going oh no what happens 3 years from now in 2020? No they won two cups and now they will retool and try to get back there again. Losing Holloway and Broberg has no effect on either Leon or Connor re signing. We also added 4 young players to the organization while removing guys who weren’t showing development. It’s a very fluid situation. Who’s to say we don’t find another guy like Jeff Skinner willing to sign a one year deal next year? Good teams worry about the here and now not what happens 2 or 3 years from now.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

I think it would have been the opposite, that if he knew Drai wasn’t resigning that he would have matched both to keep more prospects in organization. By not matching on two at this point fringe players the message to Drai is we value you more than over paying two guys who haven’t proven anything in the league yet.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Bottom 6 will be fine, especially once Kane comes back. I think one of the young guys likely comes in and plays more than adequately (Lavoie, Savoie, Podz). Henrique alone makes the bottom 6 better, even at his age and slower boots. We also improved the top 6 from last year, so should have more consistent top 6 scoring. The forwards are more than fine really.

The big issue, as you say, is the 2nd pairing right side. Which is truthfully the exact same problem we had last year as well - and were never able to fix really. The team thought Broberg could be the answer on his off side, but obviously that isn't going to happen now. We have some cap space (will be able to add a ~$4 M player with single retention at TDL I believe) and some trading chips with the additional draft picks (2nd, 3rd, 3rd). I personally don't have any faith that they can land what they need with that combo, but that is very clearly the bet the team is now making.

That $4m at the deadline would be without retention I believe. With single retention or double retention we’d be able to add a very expensive player. Granted that player needs to be available. But accrued cap space during a season really does go a long way once you start talking about retention.

I’m not happy with how the team continues to not prioritize our defense. And I’m not a fan of the fact that they left themselves so vulnerable to an offer sheet (over the cap without Holloway or Broberg signed). I think those are both mistakes that happened at the start of the summer. Perhaps something that can be chalked up to Jackson’s inexperience in running an NHL team. They were in a really bad spot with the Blues moves. But I think they’ve done a decent job in the past week of trying to mitigate the situation. You can at least follow the logic of their moves/decisions. Time will tell whether they made the right moves/choices this week.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Haha. Bowman confirms the Kane bs. Hilarious how many ppl drank the koolaid here

Basically a prime example of that game kids play in school where they whisper a senrence to someone and down the line it goes and morphs into something else completely

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Haha. Bowman confirms the Kane bs. Hilarious how many ppl drank the koolaid here

Basically a prime example of that game kids play in school where they whisper a senrence to someone and down the line it goes and morphs into something else completely
What was the Kane BS?

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
That $4m at the deadline would be without retention I believe. With single retention or double retention we’d be able to add a very expensive player. Granted that player needs to be available. But accrued cap space during a season really does go a long way once you start talking about retention.

I’m not happy with how the team continues to not prioritize our defense. And I’m not a fan of the fact that they left themselves so vulnerable to an offer sheet (over the cap without Holloway or Broberg signed). I think those are both mistakes that happened at the start of the summer. Perhaps something that can be chalked up to Jackson’s inexperience in running an NHL team. They were in a really bad spot with the Blues moves. But I think they’ve done a decent job in the past week of trying to mitigate the situation. You can at least follow the logic of their moves/decisions. Time will tell whether they made the right moves/choices this week.
If that report that Broberg's agent introduced the Holloway offer sheet idea to Armstrong is true, I feel like maybe Broberg's agent was quite aggressive in seeking out an offer sheet. It does seem silly in hindsight to sign Perry, Brown, and to some extent even Janmark rather than figuring out these guys' contracts. But at least with Broberg, I think they were always going to wait until offer sheets became a possibility.

The rumoured ask of 1.8 for Broberg was also ridiculous.

Reactions: oobga and YakDavid

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Is Leon back in Edmonton yet? I doubt it. I think once he’s physically back in Edmonton he might sign that contract. It’s a big deal, they’re gonna want everyone there for the presser and all that.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
People were fine with pairing Nurse/Stetcher in the playoffs? Not sure what has changed now. Maybe because it actually happened?
Theres a difference because you can't add players during the playoffs and a couple games here and there is completely different to an 82 game season you really think stetcher is gonna be our answer for the top four? Theres a reason he was fodder in Arizona.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Theres a difference because you can't add players during the playoffs and a couple games here and there is completely different to an 82 game season you really think stetcher is gonna be our answer for the top four? Theres a reason he was fodder in Arizona.
Yeah but they have a whole season to fix it. Posters wanted Stetcher in when it was win or go home. Completely different scenarios. This defense is not good enough to compete for a cup, I'm not arguing against that, but they have a whole season to improve it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ujju2

Macblender

May 5, 2014

Realistically the combo is:
1st 2026 (fine as most contenders actually have moved 2025 1st last year)
2nd 2025
3rd 2025
2nd 2026
Prospects (Akey, oreilly, etc) - which are available depends on the player on the table

We have enough for sure to land a good piece sad thing is few RHD are ufa next year not on contenders. So you are looking at the following mainly RD or have played it. Most of these would realistically be available but some definitely will be.

Rasmus andersson
Pionk if Winnipeg falls out of it
Larsson - unlikely but maybe would be fine with 4 months here
Fabbro
John Carlsson if WSH decides they are done and would move on from him
Shea Theodore if for whatever reason Vegas is out of it.
Parayko if Blues are out of it and decide they are committing to getting younger
Ryan Pulock on the isladners is signed very long term with Dobson there knocking him down a spot - could be an interesting target

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
After the disaster of a start last year you'd think they would learn not to handicap your team at the beginning of a season. Stetcher being a regular is worrisome now were slotting this guy on a pair with nurse in the top four? Unless Bowman comes out in a couple weeks with an add on defense this is beyond stupid planning

It’s not like Stecher’s never played top 4 before. Even last year he played 18.5 minutes a night (over 2 of which was PK) for Arizona. We just are very much committing to acquiring a dman halfway through the year this year. Slot a guy like Andersson or Larsson into the top 4 next to Nurse, and our defense looks strong.

Brown isn’t really a 4th liner. He’s been a pretty consistent ~40 point guy before the injury and recovery. We saw his game start coming around. Henrique is also more than “fine”. He’s a top 6 forward on a lot of teams. And Kane provides another top 6 forward to the 3rd line when he’s healthy. How can you worry about icing a 3rd line of

Kane - Henrique - Brown

Especially when Savoie is likely pushing for a spot

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Our forwards are not even remotely an issue. Between our forwards (with Kane back) and Bouch + hopefully 30-40p from Nurse adn Ekholm we arent hurting for offense.

It is legitimately 2RD where we need a surefire top 4 guy and ideally a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad