Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Cool, do we have the assets required to bring in a top 4 D?
Sure. Akey, O'Reilly, Savoie to name a few.
I think keeping our top 4 RD past this season would be a bigger worry than adding another one.

We need to add legit nhl d

Our D right now?

Ekholm
Bouchard

NURSE

Kulak

Josh brown
Ty Emberson
Troy stecher
Good enough for another 100pt season

Reactions: McDoused

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Desharnais
Broberg
---
Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Stetcher/Emberson
Kulak-Stetcher/Emberson
Brown? Clifton? Wanner?

Doom and gloom, because, you know, Oilers. Should also be said the first d core wasnt exactly "fantastic". Probably middle of the pack. Ceci, for my book, is better than Stetcher. Agree to disagree. Desharnais, again for my book, is better than Emberson. Probably marginally, and Emberson has some untapped potential,

I'd say Broberg is the best player of the four mentioned, even on his offside, and his versatility will be missed if (when) injuries hit.

Bouchard, for his incredible skill in 2.5 zones, is not a particularly gifted defensive player, especially in front of his own net, and we are all aware of his still present penchant for give-aways. He was also very much our 3rd option on the PKAL. At least with Desharnais, we had one guy able to play defence (and PK!!!!!) on a shut-down high minute situation, until his untimely injury and subsequent downtick in play v Dallas, and Broberg performed affably on his wrong side.

Hopefully Emberson, a defensive defenceman who succeeded in SJS (that's positive), can step into Desharnais' role as a first option RHD on the PK. It'll be a lot to ask Bouch to be a #1PP option and #2PK option, so hopefully Stetcher's that guy. In all likelihood, we platoon and hope until the deadline, where someone wants 3 3rds (or something) for a 2nd pairing RHD. I think the vaunted offence probably gets us through till then, but I will caveat that Ekholm's mild injury to start 4 weeks of the season nearly killed our team. Blame the coach/Campbell and Skinner and Schwartz/McInjury/the weather, but it's a factor. We have very little depth if injury hits.

This wouldn't be that much of a deal if Nurse, in year 3 of his 8 year deal of waytoomuchcap.25 million, could play like a competent or even above competent 2nd pairing dman regularly. I'm not even asking for him to be a top pairing guy. Just play your minutes. Nurse from the regular season last year struggled to be a 2nd pairing dman regularly. Nurse from the playoffs struggled to be an AHL calibre call-up. We're in for a particularly "interesting" season if the latter shows up

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Desharnais
Broberg
---
Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Stetcher/Emberson
Kulak-Stetcher/Emberson
Brown? Clifton? Wanner?

Doom and gloom, because, you know, Oilers. Should also be said the first d core wasnt exactly "fantastic". Probably middle of the pack. Ceci, for my book, is better than Stetcher. Agree to disagree. Desharnais, again for my book, is better than Emberson. Probably marginally, and Emberson has some untapped potential,

I'd say Broberg is the best player of the four mentioned, even on his offside, and his versatility will be missed if (when) injuries hit.

Bouchard, for his incredible skill in 2.5 zones, is not a particularly gifted defensive player, especially in front of his own net, and we are all aware of his still present penchant for give-aways. He was also very much our 3rd option on the PKAL. At least with Desharnais, we had one guy able to play defence (and PK!!!!!) on a shut-down high minute situation, until his untimely injury and subsequent downtick in play v Dallas, and Broberg performed affably on his wrong side.

Hopefully Emberson, a defensive defenceman who succeeded in SJS (that's positive), can step into Desharnais' role as a first option RHD on the PK. It'll be a lot to ask Bouch to be a #1PP option and #2PK option, so hopefully Stetcher's that guy. In all likelihood, we platoon and hope until the deadline, where someone wants 3 3rds (or something) for a 2nd pairing RHD. I think the vaunted offence probably gets us through till then, but I will caveat that Ekholm's mild injury to start 4 weeks of the season nearly killed our team. Blame the coach/Campbell and Skinner and Schwartz/McInjury/the weather, but it's a factor. We have very little depth if injury hits.

This wouldn't be that much of a deal if Nurse, in year 3 of his 8 year deal of waytoomuchcap.25 million, could play like a competent or even above competent 2nd pairing dman regularly. I'm not even asking for him to be a top pairing guy. Just play your minutes. Nurse from the regular season last year struggled to be a 2nd pairing dman regularly. Nurse from the playoffs struggled to be an AHL calibre call-up. We're in for a particularly "interesting" season if the latter shows up
My biggest hope is that Knoblauch knows something about Emberson that the rest of the world doesn't, and he comes in and performs well right out of the gate.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
You don’t win by grossly over paying players who are still question marks.

This team is still a wagon and the team D they fostered in the second half of last year and playoffs is far more impactful then marginally downgrading the bottom half of the blue line.

Mark my words, this team wont skip a beat despite the personnel changes.
The issue is not losing the players. It's that this was a self-induced situation that led them into inflationary market pricing on two young NHL players than exceeded their spent budget and risk threshold. They allegedly walked from a last deadline deal with these players for a retained Buchnevich.

Getting off the overpay cycle is a critical need for a team that's tendency and reality to buy high. Failing to see danger and lose cheap value young talent is a massive issue that was avoidable.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Forced to shed cap as well, did alright imo
He did have to shed cap, and he was kind of forced into a tough situation by Holland, JJ and Armstrong. However, unfortunately the org is in a worse spot it was a week ago and that sucks. Not blaming him directly as I think in a vacuum the Ceci trade is fine but that huge whole is unfortunate but, can't really do anything.
My biggest hope is that Knoblauch knows something about Emberson that the rest of the world doesn't, and he comes in and performs well right out of the gate.
I have faith Emberson will be a solid 3rd pairing d.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
One of Stecher or Emberson will be a serviceable 3RHD. This issue is, as it always has been, the 2RHD spot which has the baked in handicap of being Nurse's partner. Broberg wasn't that guy, maybe he will be that guy, I doubt it, but maybe.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Hope is a very Oilers way of running a defence. Hoping it pans out too.
Well, we've went for 2 years trying and failing to upgrade on Ceci, and it cost us games. Now they are in a position where they have someone else/lesser pencilled into that spot, but actually have more cap space flexibility to make that move. We just need to have someone else cover that role for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad