Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Well I'll definitely take a 2nd, 3rd in 2025 and 3rd in 2028 for them. Not ideal, but it's better than losing them for nothing. Got some trade assets now so we can improve the team throughout the season.

Reactions: McDoused

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Bowman’s start with the Oilers

Broberg, Holloway, Ceci, 3Rd, 4th
For
Podkolzin, Emberson, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd some 5th round dude

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Did we just trade with St Louis for another prospect defenceman?

Are we going to combine all our prospects and make one top 4 dman?

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Bowman’s start with the Oilers

Broberg, Holloway, Ceci, 3Rd, 4th
For
Podkolzin, Emberson, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd some 5th round dude
JJ pre spent the cap so this is a little off. So not all on bowman even if that is the current record. The prospects stats for supposedly a defensive D don’t seem bad and he is 19 but that isn’t close to our window

Since the balance of the offseason had us retain or pick up 3 guys who would play in a lot of teams top 6.

Not saying it is proper cap use but at the same time there was mostly crap for ufa d out there

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
my guess is it is the right decision. Holloway would be pushing forth line to start and would have tons of competition.

Broberg is tough. Sample size is small. Could end up a big mistake but at 4.5 it’s around a 3 million overpay for what he’s show. On this tight of a cap it’s tough to justify.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
I won't judge Emberson until we see him. For all we know he's the Curtis Glencross of D. The Oilers will deserve blame if they lose these guys, but the Blues deserve more credit for actually taking the offer sheet plunge. It is a tool that teams with cap space and picks should absolutely use.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It’s hilarious that Broberg was a nonstarter in trades last year and now he is gone for a 2nd. This org hurts itself so much. Hopefully the Bowman era is different but not a great start.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
I'm fine with the Oilers NOT matching super inflated offersheets. The Oil are officially cap compliant and basically got a 2nd + two 3rd round picks and a prospect for not matching along with 7m cap space. That's without worrying about Kane's LTIR issue.

I'm pretty sure they'll make a significant trade now or between now and most definitely at the deadline for a 2nd pairing Right Shot D'man.

I'm not worried at all.

Fook the Blues.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
If people here are convinced our dmen on the right side is Stecher, Emberson and Brown, you obviously have not followed the Oilers this summer. Jackson isn't stupid. Neither is Bowman. They will make something work. Just gotta be patient.
In fairness I have been following them this summer and it's why their dmen on the right are Emberson, Stetcher and Brown. They let their big body sub age 30 PKer go for nothing; reactive deal their other veteran PK; and get leveraged out of their pedigree age 23 defenseman who kept his head above water in NHL final four competition. Lots of work to do to just get back to building up an average defense corp and more assets to do it. Right shooting d carry about a 10% contract premium and among the most precious assets to acquire.

They walked themselves into probably the most lopsided restricted free agency situation in NHL history with a marginal return for this team's only NHL ready young talent. That's a massive part of watching them cook this summer. (I'm using 'probably' generously).

Last edited:

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Well blues gave us another pick and a prospect as a gift lol.

Honestly this was a mistake on both ends. But what do we do now? If any of our top 3 Dmen get injured in the year, we are royally screwed unless we trade for a Dman this summer

Oilers are probably going to go into the season with Brown/Emberson/Stetcher on the right side, and it'll probably cost them another division title(aka, home ice advantage).

Just hope they can pull off another Ekholm level move around the deadline.
It seems like a huge risk

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
You don’t win by grossly over paying players who are still question marks.

This team is still a wagon and the team D they fostered in the second half of last year and playoffs is far more impactful then marginally downgrading the bottom half of the blue line.

Mark my words, this team wont skip a beat despite the personnel changes.

oilers4life5

Nov 6, 2007
City of Champions
To the OP. Yes Bowman made his mark and it’s a skid mark.

Well I'll definitely take a 2nd, 3rd in 2025 and 3rd in 2028 for them. Not ideal, but it's better than losing them for nothing. Got some trade assets now so we can improve the team throughout the season.
We did not have to lose them at all. That’s the point.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Yeah, maybe we can take that money and sign someone like Broberg and Holloway only much older and less potential!
That would work considering we are going all in.
Walking away from Broberg at 4.5M x 2 and then a QO of 5M was brainless. Potential means nothing when your #6/7 Dman makes this much.
We will find an arvidsson of Dmen down the road with this cap space.

For now I hope we sign Barrie to a PTO.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Cool, do we have the assets required to bring in a top 4 D?
We do at the trade deadline, if any are available.

You know what wouldn't shock me at the deadline? Cody Ceci to Edmonton for one of St. Louis' picks. I hope I'm wrong, but it wouldn't shock me.

Until then, I expect we sign one of the bum RD still out there. We seem to like to bring on people with baggage, so we may as well bring in Tony DeAngelo at league minimum. Ugh. There are 3 options out there that nobody else wanted that we might be able to sign for peanuts. None of them are ideal. Barrie, J. Schultz, or DeAngelo.

• Haha
Reactions: CycloneSweep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad