Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
On Oilers Now, Brenden Escott believes that, after these moves, it seems more likely that the Oilers keep the more expensive option (Philip Broberg)

Spector believes we keep both Holloway and Broberg

Reactions: capazzo

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

We can't let Broberg go. Even those baboon on Florida know he's a top 4 defender

what assets lol? We have two picks left in 2025. The more we go back in years picks wise, the less value they have

He didn't see these two trades coming though. I hope Bob isn't right. Losing two players that were top 10 picks for a pair of picks is terrible asset management.

If you look at it this way, Podkolzin was a top pick as well and only a year older than Holloway. That could end up being a wash. As for Broberg, the cap space we freed up could very well end up being his replacement down the line (using the 2nd and 3rd round picks at the deadline perhaps). Emberson might also surprise as he seemed to tread water on a terrible Sharks team.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
On Oilers Now, Brenden Escott believes that, after these moves, it seems more likely that the Oilers keep the more expensive option (Philip Broberg)

Spector believes we keep both Holloway and Broberg

I don't see why on earth we'd acquire Podkolzin if we were planning to match on Holloway. Surely it's obvious.

Stauffer mentioned last week that, if we lose, Broberg, Oilers might set their eyes on Rasmus Andersson.

Is this true?

Yes, he did say that.

But we know how likely the Oilers and Flames are to making a trade. I thought we offered more than Dallas did for Tanev at the deadline?

Also Friedman said that Calgary didn't like all the noise last offseason with Lindholm, Hanafin, Markstrom and Backlund and specifically wanted to keep things quiet this one.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
If Broberg isn't matched I really hope there's other moves in the pipeline because that defense is Mike Ricci ugly.

It feels ugly with or without Broberg to me.

We still have Nurse and we don’t really have a legit RD to carry him.

It’s probably a negative view but I don’t really know where Broberg fits. He apparently wants to play on the left side.

Stauffer mentioned last week that, if we lose, Broberg, Oilers might set their eyes on Rasmus Andersson.

Is this true?

Makes sense. We already traded with Vancouver and SJ this week.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Is this true?
It's true that he mentioned him. But it's doubtful the Oilers pay the outrageous ask for two playoff runs of a player we can't afford to extend.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Macblender

May 5, 2014
It's true that he mentioned him. But it's doubtful the Oilers pay the outrageous ask for two playoff runs of a player we can't afford to extend.
Skinner gone, Kane prob gone after this season is more than enough for the two main extensions. The dead cap from Neal the brown dead cap etc is like 4M I believe. So who knows we could hypothetically do it depends on how much the cap goes up before mcdavid for that one I think.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Frank Seravalli believes letting Broberg go is a mistake. He thinks the right thing is signing him and letting Holloway go.

I want both to stay but this is logical. We have depth on forward with the new additions we've made. Even with Emberson, our depth on defence is not good

Last edited:

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Skinner gone, Kane prob gone after this season is more than enough for the two main extensions. The dead cap from Neal the brown dead cap etc is like 4M I believe. So who knows we could hypothetically do it depends on how much the cap goes up before mcdavid for that one I think.
You need to replace those players in some manner. I understand the allure of a player of that caliber, but you're talking about a $7m+ AAV extension. Those are unmanageable numbers when you're looking at $40m for just the big three.

Any other big adds would have to start with a Nurse trade. And that just isn't happening.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

Why is Bob hinting that Emberson and Podkolzin are our replacements?

Sorry lol but I'd rather have Ceci as our 4th defenceman over Emberson.

If this is our plan, that is NO Cup winning defence.

Before anyone says, we wait till the deadline, what assets do we have left? Especially if we let Holloway and Broberg go?

Unless Kane is out for the season, you'll also need to trade Kulak to fit in Broberg. More or less robbing Pete to pay Paul on a defence that isn't good enough, no? You also run out of cap space to buy upgrades elsewhere.

If they move on from Broberg they'll have ~2mil at the deadline to play with. 2mil and second round pick ( plus a conditional 3rd and 4th) was enough to get Tanev at 50% this past deadline.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
I did look at the stat line, .911 didn't strike me as crazy. When Skinner was 22 he had a .914 in the AHL, and while I have no idea how good Askarov will end up being, I don't remember anyone expecting Skinner to step in and be an elite NHL goalie following that season. But I thought maybe save percentages had significantly dropped in the AHL to where .911 would be standout.

When I think of elite AHL numbers, I think of a guy like Dustin Wolf putting up a .930. Looking at the top goalies in the NHL, they all put up better seasons than Askarov at the same age. A bunch of guys put up better numbers in the AHL than Askarov did last season.

If we're just looking at stats, I don't see what makes Askarov a can't miss guy. You're right though, I don't watch him. I will say, if he's not happy playing behind Jusse Saros (who btw, was putting up .920 and .930 in the AHL at Askarov's age), I can't imagine he's going to have a ton of time for playing behind Stuart Skinner.
At age 20 Skinner was rocking a sub 900 and was seeing time in the echl. Askarov is gonna be the second coming of vokoun.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Frank Seravalli believes letting Broberg go is a mistake. He thinks the right thing is signing him and letting Holloway go

The more I think about it, it feels like it either makes sense to match both or to match neither. Matching Broberg requires Kane to be put on LTIR no matter what. At that point you have enough space to match Holloway so why wouldn't you?

If they don't think Kane can be on LTIR the whole season, than they can't afford to match Broberg either way. They need to clear more salary.

If they let them both go the team can be cap compliant with a bit of space left over to accrue for the deadline without Kane on LTIR.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
The more I think about it, it feels like it either makes sense to match both or to match neither. Matching Broberg requires Kane to be put on LTIR no matter what. At that point you have enough space to match Holloway so why wouldn't you?

If they don't think Kane can be on LTIR the whole season, than they can't afford to match Broberg either way. They need to clear more salary.

If they let them both go the team can be cap compliant with a bit of space left over to accrue for the deadline without Kane on LTIR.
Okay cap compliant. But then what? Who is our 4th Dman? Trading for a top 4 right handed dman is not easy. I don't remember any top 4 dman that we traded for except for Larsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad