Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Askarov's value is probably a 2nd and 3rd if I had to guess.

Askarov was drafted high first round and has not disappointed since. The athletic has him as the 2nd best G prospect after Waalsted, and those are the only tier 1 prospects. The hockey writers have him number 1.

He's not getting traded for a 2nd. Aside from that, Nashville is in a win now mode, so they'd want a solid player back.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Between pedigree, age and comparable performance, Askarov is superior to Rodrigue in value. I don't watch tons of goalie film but Askarov is in the highest echelon of goalie prospects.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Sure but it's a check on homerness.. otherwise we can claim anything here and skew the stats to back it up.

Eg. Kulak > Parayko

The mains aren’t a check on anything.

If you can’t see the generally skewed perspective on there with regards to the Oilers, I don’t know what to tell you.

That being said, I believe Askarov has more value than Rodrigue but Rodrigue has developed nicely for us so far so I don’t know that Askarov is a need.

spot

Aug 26, 2007
Probably already been mentioned here, but what about savoie for askarov? Then we hope that Holloway is matched and both he and podkolzin continues to grow.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
It's hard to keep track of sv% trends, is .911 elite in the AHL? I just don't see it as a priority for the Oilers when Rodrigue has been progressing well and is still young. The Oilers need to save what little trade assets they have for more impactful players imo.
But why throw out an opinion on a player when you didn't even bother to look at his stat line? Putting those numbers up at those ages is crazy.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
But why throw out an opinion on a player when you didn't even bother to look at his stat line? Putting those numbers up at those ages is crazy.
I did look at the stat line, .911 didn't strike me as crazy. When Skinner was 22 he had a .914 in the AHL, and while I have no idea how good Askarov will end up being, I don't remember anyone expecting Skinner to step in and be an elite NHL goalie following that season. But I thought maybe save percentages had significantly dropped in the AHL to where .911 would be standout.

When I think of elite AHL numbers, I think of a guy like Dustin Wolf putting up a .930. Looking at the top goalies in the NHL, they all put up better seasons than Askarov at the same age. A bunch of guys put up better numbers in the AHL than Askarov did last season.

If we're just looking at stats, I don't see what makes Askarov a can't miss guy. You're right though, I don't watch him. I will say, if he's not happy playing behind Jusse Saros (who btw, was putting up .920 and .930 in the AHL at Askarov's age), I can't imagine he's going to have a ton of time for playing behind Stuart Skinner.

Reactions: TheNumber4

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
It's a shame NHL managements let their egos get in the way sometimes.

An Askarov for Broberg trade could have made a ton of sense for both teams at the start of the off-season.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I did look at the stat line, .911 didn't strike me as crazy. When Skinner was 22 he had a .914 in the AHL, and while I have no idea how good Askarov will end up being, I don't remember anyone expecting Skinner to step in and be an elite NHL goalie following that season. But I thought maybe save percentages had significantly dropped in the AHL to where .911 would be standout.

When I think of elite AHL numbers, I think of a guy like Dustin Wolf putting up a .930. Looking at the top goalies in the NHL, they all put up better seasons than Askarov at the same age. A bunch of guys put up better numbers in the AHL than Askarov did last season.

If we're just looking at stats, I don't see what makes Askarov a can't miss guy. You're right though, I don't watch him. I will say, if he's not happy playing behind Jusse Saros (who btw, was putting up .920 and .930 in the AHL at Askarov's age), I can't imagine he's going to have a ton of time for playing behind Stuart Skinner.
I don't think it's just being a backup in the NHL that is the issues. They signed Wedgewood as well in NSH making it likely Askarov was going to be sent to the minors and he doesn't want that.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Patrik Laine and a 2nd Round Pick to Montreal for Jordan Harris. I'd say Edmonton got a better player in a cap dump scenario compared to this one.
Laine's contract is a lot worse though.

Also quite the different situation. Laine pretty much wouldn't play in CBJ anymore.

CBJ is kind of lucky it didn't cost more, but I guess CBJ also didn't have to trade Laine. They could've just waived him and sent him to the AHL.

Whole situation is kinda messed up lol.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don't think it's just being a backup in the NHL that is the issues. They signed Wedgewood as well in NSH making it likely Askarov was going to be sent to the minors and he doesn't want that.
I thought I read today that his relationship with Trotz soured right after they signed Saros to the 8 year extension.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Harris is the better player, but Montreal got a 26 year old top 3 pick that a year ago was a PPG. And a 2nd. :skeptic:
Flip side is Laine hasn't played a full year since the covid year. Also now pushed himself out of two teams.

Him and Dubois very similar. They actually play a full season to their capability and they are game changers. Problem is that it doesn't happen every year.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Tbh Nashville looks like a pretty good team. I wouldn't want to give up anything valuable for them to use at the deadline.
We have nothing of value to give up at the deadline anyway. We can’t lose anyone off the roster and have no cap to entertain upgrades. There is no reason to assume we will be in on anything come deadline, we had to dump our assets just to keep an overpaid Broberg.

Our Bullets are spent

Last edited:
Reactions: McHelpus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad