Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

Barrie isn't a bad idea either. He did play decent with Nurse, and that would allow Kulak and Ceci to be paired. He would come cheap. If you trade Ceci, then you can afford Holloway, and run Stetcher with Kulak.

Barrie isn't a bad idea either. He did play decent with Nurse, and that would allow Kulak and Ceci to be paired. He would come cheap. If you trade Ceci, then you can afford Holloway, and run Stetcher with Kulak.
Or trade both Kulak and Ceci, match Broberg, and sign Barrie for 1 million x 1

Reactions: belair

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
In a few years people may look at this and see us losing a top 4 dman and a top 9 forward because we wanted to keep pending free agent Cody Ceci.

Match the offer and dump ceci.
I don’t think it’s about keeping Ceci. It’s about potentially having 7 million dollars tied up in bottom of the lineup players during our peak cup window with Drai and Bouchards contracts kicking in.

Reactions: McDoused

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
In a few years people may look at this and see us losing a top 4 dman and a top 9 forward because we wanted to keep pending free agent Cody Ceci.

Maybe. Or maybe next year people are complaining about matching on two guys who crumbled under the pressure of cap hits they couldn’t live up to on a Cup contender and how the team can’t give those cap hits away.

Thats what I find so funny in all this. 6 months ago many posters were talking like Broberg and Holloway were turning into busts with diminishing value and now are acting like we’re losing surefire contributing NHLers

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Yeah. Doing a bit of reading and understanding a bit more of the LTI mechanics, I think that the Oilers can make move flipping Ceci now and making tougher decisions closer to the deadline.

There's some real concerns particularly with Broberg about keeping his camp happy. But both of these guys stood out in the biggest spotlight. The Oilers lack what both of these guys bring-- their speed.

Move Ceci and bring back Barrie at league minimum.

There's no way of making this favorable. But keeping both players at least leaves us with the better roster.

I don’t think it’s about keeping Ceci. It’s about potentially having 7 million dollars tied up in bottom of the lineup players during our peak cup window with Drai and Bouchards contracts kicking in.
With Kulak and Ceci here, there's already close to $6m there and those are regressing assets.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Yeah. Doing a bit of reading and understanding a bit more of the LTI mechanics, I think that the Oilers can make move flipping Ceci now and making tougher decisions closer to the deadline.

There's some real concerns particularly with Broberg about keeping his camp happy. But both of these guys stood out in the biggest spotlight. The Oilers lack what both of these guys bring-- their speed.

Move Ceci and bring back Barrie at league minimum.

There's no way of making this favorable. But keeping both players at least leaves us with the better roster.

With Kulak and Ceci here, there's already close to $6m there and those are regressing assets.
I think the team is better for it come playoff time with Kulak on the roster.

Reactions: JarvisFunk

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think the team is better for it come playoff time with Kulak on the roster.
I think the longer we go, the greater the risk he starts to regress though. It's not like he's got far to fall before he starts becoming irrelevant.

I think the grass is greener for Broberg on the Blues' roster, but it isn't impossible for Kris Knoblauch to put Broberg in a better position to thrive next season. And there'll be a point where it starts to click for the kid.

Last edited:

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
St.Louis doesn't see them as bottom of the lineup players. They have been trying to acquire these guys since the trade deadline. Now they are going to get them for nothing. But hey, 7 million in cap space for nobody to trade with us.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
St.Louis doesn't see them as bottom of the lineup players. They have been trying to acquire these guys since the trade deadline. Now they are going to get them for nothing. But hey, 7 million in cap space for nobody to trade with us.
and this means they aren’t potentially bottom of the lineup players?

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Andersson is significantly better than Broberg IMO. I would absolutely take him on this team. Andersson is already a 40-50 defenceman. He's also a natural righty.
He's also a Calgary Flame, which means the price is significantly higher than what's being suggested here. Kulak offers them no value here.

He's also due a significant raise as a UFA in Connor McDavid's UFA season. He's currently underpaid.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Why are they considered bottom of the lineup players now? People penciled in Broberg in the top 4 prior to this, now he's a bum. Holloway was playing on the 2nd/3rd line during the cup run.
Potentially* and because they played there most of the year. I never said they are bums.

Reactions: McHelpus

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

It's not like they're some sort of brilliant talent evaluators, though. They've bled talent since the Berube miracle Cup, and this is the same management that thought they had some sort of coup trading Kostin for Samo-who-kov. Kostin would still be an Oiler if he didn't take the opportunity to get paid (his right as much as it is for these also unestablished players).

Reactions: Cloned

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I think the longer we go, the greater the risk he starts to regress though. It's not like he's got far to fall before he starts becoming irrelevant.

I think the grass is greener for Broberg on the Blues' roster, but it isn't impossible for Kris Knoblauch to put Broberg in a better position to thrive next season. And there'll be a point where it starts to click for the kid.
He's been solid for basically every run the team has had to this point. He's steady. He's been there. He knows his role and he plays it well. He's only got a couple years left on his deal and is reasonably priced.

I'm not saying I want him over broberg, or anything like that. Just that I think the team is worse come playoff time without him. Sure he could absolutely fall off a cliff in less than a season, but barring a career ending injury he's done nothing to demonstrate that fall is imminent, or that he's going to somehow regress to a point he becomes harmful to the team.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Came here to say this but you beat me to it.

it’s concerning how old we are now with little prospects outside of savoie and orielly (Akey needs to prove something while staying healthy)

Oilers have very little in futures to offer in upgrades and will have to resort to dumpster bin bargain UFA deals for the next few years to support mcdrai. Having Holloway and broberg as the first wave of youth after mcdrai just vanish is going to hurt the oilers down the line.

As I’ve mentioned earlier all 5 first round picks of hollands tenure have all now been traded away or lost for next to nothing. Going back to mcdavids draft the oilers have only Bouchard to show for 9 drafts now. This isn’t a recipe for maintaining a cup contender

Unfortunately the damage is already done regarding our future. Broberg and Holloway don’t really change that either way I think. There’s only the here and the now. Once McDavid and Drai age out of elite status or leave the team is going to plummet.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003

I would sign Klingberg and league minimum before Barrie.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
It's not like they're some sort of brilliant talent evaluators, though. They've bled talent since the Berube miracle Cup, and this is the same management that thought they had some sort of coup trading Kostin for Samo-who-kov. Kostin would still be an Oiler if he didn't take the opportunity to get paid (his right as much as it is for these also unestablished players).
What do you think we should do? You'd really be fine with letting them both walk?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Like I’ve already posted, even if the Oilers had 10M in cap space, this wouldn’t be an automatic match. That tells you that it’s not only a cap space issue, it’s a contract structure issue.

The Blues will likely regret both of these contracts.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Ain’t no way Edwards will allow Conroy to even answer a phone call from a 780 area code, let alone one from the Oilers. Wasn’t it rumoured they turned down a Tanev trade even though the Oilers offered more than what Dallas did, basically out of spite? If they won’t deal a UFA D-man to the Oilers, they aren’t dealing their best defenseman either. Andersson is a class-A douche flute on top of it. Fakest tough guy in the league. Don’t want any of that near this team.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
lol JVR put up close to 40 points last year that is an upgrade on Holloway.

Meanwhile yeah neglect the rest of the post after you have Stecher and Broberg as our RD which forwards are you trading if Kane won’t waive? Henrique and skinner so we have room to upgrade our D?
You trqde Ceci and Kane goes on LTIR ans who knows what haopens during the season of Kane comes back. Could be another injury etc. Deal with thatbin january if needed

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I'd say it's not bad. Robert Thomas late 1st round (86 pt player). Kyrou (67 pt player) 2nd round. Neighbours late 1st round (27 goal player). Bushnevich, Schenn trades. Tage Thompson, Vince Dunn. They peaked with a Cup win and retooling around some pretty good young forwards. Built up solid prospect pool without going down to the wood in a full rebuild. Losing an end of roster waiver eligible exchange trade with Kostin is hardly defining.

They were a 40+ win team for just about a decade. So doing something right. Mid league consideration in at least one prospect ranking (notably missing a quality young defense prospect) : Ranking every NHL team's prospect pipeline: Why the Sabres are No. 1

For the record I can't stand the Blues but I can still see where they've done some solid work with drafting and some of their trades.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017

Barry doesnt have the size or speed for a serious cup contender for the playoffs

In a heartbeat. He can be a rat at times, but he’d slot in extremely well next to Nurse, and he’s seriously underpaid. We’d only need our bottom pairing to play like 10 minutes a night if we had a top 4 of

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Andersson
As NWO said that is ridiculous....just sign Broberg then instead of giving up another first and Ceci

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad