Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Connor Browns 3 mill isn’t why we might not have them. St Louis thinking they are worth a combined 7 mill is. Together they are only worth 3mill MAYBE 4. Which the team literally had 2 different solutions for.

We can keep Broberg by running a slightly smaller roster and movie Ceci.

The dead cap is why we didn't get it locked up in July, both would be sitting signed for about 1.5-1.6 each at this point if we had the money then.

We didn't have the cap space for that in large part because we carry like 6.5 mill in dead cap + the massive overpayment on Nurse on top of that.

The plan was to push Broberg and Holloway into September and force them to sign for basically the same salary Josh Brown (1 mill) and Perry (1.4) were making and then you can waive those two and put Holloway and Broberg on the roster for the same amount.

That's what we did with McLeod two years ago. This time it didn't work. If we had open cap space this never would have been an issue, it only turned out this way because of a lack of cap.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
I still think Perry will have more of an impact than Holloway over the course of the year. Also Having Perry on our team means we’ll get back to the final.
Thats already proven to be false in the playoffs and it is not even close. Holloway one more year experi3nce and Perry one more year older

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
6.9M for two guys who were in the AHL 5 months ago.

I think we can replace their combined 11 points somehow.
How short sighted do you have to be. Same guys who played too 9 in first playoffs and top 4 in defence in SCF.

Also how disengenous do you have to be to think they will score 11 points next year.

Let me guess, you were the same guy who was i board for trading Draisaitl for Subban or Karlsson or trading Bouch 2 years ago for Pennys

• Haha
Reactions: McDoused

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
How short sighted do you have to be. Same guys who played too 9 in first playoffs and top 4 in defence in SCF.

Also how disengenous do you have to be to think they will score 11 points next year.

Let me guess, you were the same guy who was i board for trading Draisaitl for Subban or Karlsson or trading Bouch 2 years ago for Pennys

The Oilers d-corps is largely Knoblaugh/Coffey's system IMO. You give them someone half decent and they'll make them look even better.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
As I’ve mentioned earlier all 5 first round picks of hollands tenure have all now been traded away or lost for next to nothing. Going back to mcdavids draft the oilers have only Bouchard to show for 9 drafts now. This isn’t a recipe for maintaining a cup contender

To be fair 2 of our firsts under Holland were turned into Ekholm.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

It's funny because I was thinking the same thing. Signing Broberg and Holloway is extremely short sighted. The Oilers need to think big picture and remain flexible so that they can sign Draisail and Bouchard (like you referenced). Speaking of Bouchard you might as well kiss him goodbye given that you will be paying Broberg more than him next season.

I didn't say that they would produce 11 points next year. Rather, they produced 11 points last year. If the Oilers use last year as the barometer of success they need to match or improve upon last years production. In terms of replacing production, Edmonton only needs to replace 11 points to be as good offensively as last season. Neither player was a major contributor to our regular season success last year.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Technically it is moving Ceci, Kane going on LTIR before the season (bad as we cannot accrue cap versus if we can fit him prior and then ltir and bring players back up we can accrue), and burying 3 low cost players to keep both which I assume is 2 if we play savoie on an ELC instead of matching Holloway.

What happens if Kane comes back during the season and we now have to bank on him waiving his NMC or alternatively creating $5.15M of cap or whatever his hit is. We may have to move out a significant amount of our new forward depth and still play a short roster.

This is very risk in my opinion
Kanes injury length matters.
I think the best option is to let Broberg leave and he can continue to do nothing in St Louis

Reactions: Macblender

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
The Oilers d-corps is largely Knoblaugh/Coffey's system IMO. You give them someone half decent and they'll make them look even better.
Ahhh yes like Nurse and Ceci righy? Real interesting Oiler fans would rather see Ceci flubbing around and giving up pucks and see Broberg excel in St. louis because their feelings are hurt

• Haha
Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Came here to say this but you beat me to it.

it’s concerning how old we are now with little prospects outside of savoie and orielly (Akey needs to prove something while staying healthy)

Oilers have very little in futures to offer in upgrades and will have to resort to dumpster bin bargain UFA deals for the next few years to support mcdrai. Having Holloway and broberg as the first wave of youth after mcdrai just vanish is going to hurt the oilers down the line.

As I’ve mentioned earlier all 5 first round picks of hollands tenure have all now been traded away or lost for next to nothing. Going back to mcdavids draft the oilers have only Bouchard to show for 9 drafts now. This isn’t a recipe for maintaining a cup contender
Wings fans warned us about his subpar drafting.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Holloway played top 9 with the best players in the world and did little.
Broberg played “top 4” but was still 5th in icetime for D in the games he played and was analytically awful.

How disingenuous do you have to be to think a guy who showed little to no improvement all year…will suddenly be much better let alone worth that contact.

Bouchard showed flashes of greatness since day one. For Holloway and Broberg we get flashes of good but mostly just hear about it

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Ahhh yes like Nurse and Ceci righy? Real interesting Oiler fans would rather see Ceci flubbing around and giving up pucks and see Broberg excel in St. louis because their feelings are hurt

Nurse and Ceci are the one thing that doesn't work even under Knoblaugh, but largely otherwise ... yeah.

The improvement in the D is largely a product of Knoblaugh/Coffey, I don't really even see how you can argue it isn't.

The Oilers GA dramatically improved and even turned elite without any major roster change. The Oilers hit the jack pot with that coaching hire, simple as that.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
It's funny because I was thinking the same thing. Signing Broberg and Holloway is extremely short sighted. The Oilers need to think big picture and remain flexible so that they can sign Draisail and Bouchard (like you referenced). Speaking of Bouchard you might as well kiss him goodbye given that you will be paying Broberg more than him next season.

I didn't say that they would produce 11 points next year. Rather, they produced 11 points last year. If the Oilers use last year as the barometer of success they need to match or improve upon last years production. In terms of replacing production, Edmonton only needs to replace 11 points to be as good offensively as last season. Neither player was a major contributor to our regular season success last year.
You think Drai and McDavid want to be here in 3 years when we have scrubs playing with them. Go see what $4.5m buys you on the UFA market for a dman and tell me Broberg will not eclipse that as soon as end of this year.

Everyine looks to points and your horrible example shows that. They lose size and speed when losing both and are left with Derek Ryans and Cory Perrys for the playoffs

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Nurse and Ceci are the one thing that doesn't work even under Knoblaugh, but largely otherwise ... yeah.

The improvement in the D is largely a product of Knoblaugh/Coffey, I don't really even see how you can argue it isn't.

The Oilers GA dramatically improved and even turned elite without any major roster change. The Oilers hit the jack pot with that coaching hire, simple as that.
Broberg is built for Coffeys system and that is why he was playing iver Descharnais

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You think Drai and McDavid want to be here in 3 years when we have scrubs playing with them. Go see what $4.5m buys you on the UFA market for a dman and tell me Broberg will not eclipse that as soon as end of this year.

Everyine looks to points and your horrible example shows that. They lose size and speed when losing both and are left with Derek Ryans and Cory Perrys for the playoffs

If the playoffs start tomorrow, sure, thankfully there's a long time before now and the trade deadline. Finding a bottom 6 player or two with some speed isn't impossible. I don't see Derek Ryan and Corey Perry as roster locks after the deadline.

Broberg is built for Coffeys system and that is why he was playing iver Descharnais

I mean look maybe there's a player in Broberg but it's not like he was some superstar, dude bombed in training camp and couldn't beat out Desharnais for a spot even when it was gift wrapped for him.

Knoblaugh/Coffey are just good coaches, it was like Sutter in Calgary making Gudbranson look like a 4 million player (lol), some coach's just have it. Unlike Sutter though I don't think Knobs/Coffey piss off their players after 12 months.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
If the playoffs start tomorrow, sure, thankfully there's a long time before now and the trade deadline. Finding a bottom 6 player or two with some speed isn't impossible. I don't see Derek Ryan and Corey Perry as roster locks after the deadline.

I mean look maybe there's a player in Broberg but it's not like he was some superstar, dude bombed in training camp and couldn't beat out Desharnais for a spot.

Knoblaugh/Coffey are just good coaches, it was like Sutter in Calgary making Gudbranson look like a 4 million player (lol), some coach's just have it. Unlike Sutter though I don't think Knobs/Coffey piss off their players after 12 months.
So use the 3rd you get for Holloway for a rental with no upside? Ypu would get nothing forat the deadline. Heck it cost us a 4th for Stecher who sat in the pressbox.

Last edited:

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017

I mean look maybe there's a player in Broberg but it's not like he was some superstar, dude bombed in training camp and couldn't beat out Desharnais for a spot even when it was gift wrapped for him.

He didnt bomb at training camp. Woody didnt deploy offensive puck moving dmen. Look at how horrible Bouchs first part of the season was. The fact is riberg was top 4 in the SCF. Period

A 3rd + Kesselring got us Bjugstad the year prior.
Bingo and Kesselring is top 4 in Utah and Bjugstad did nothing in the playoffs for the oil. Utah is laughing at that deal

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He didnt bomb at training camp. Woody didnt deploy offensive puck moving dmen. Look at how horrible Bouchs first part of the season was. The fact is riberg was top 4 in the SCF. Period

Bingo and Kesselring is top 4 in Utah and Bjugstad did nothing in the playoffs for the oil. Utah is laughing at that deal

Bjugstad had 3 goals in 12 games which is solid for a bottom 6 rental player. Arizona got a future out player of it who is a marginal NHLer at this point, that's how those deals are supposed to work.

4 million for Broberg doesn't work. If you want to be mad about it be mad at Holland for having all the dead cap but as is it's not workable given our cap situation. Which again is largely Holland's fault.

Reactions: CycloneSweep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad