Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Explain why it is so impossible for Drai to wait. He would not be the first impending UFA to become a free agent. He would not even be the first UFA to simply re-sign with his last team.

I'd even wonder if maybe to take the sting out of wondering, if he might consider signing for one year, just so his contract would align with McDavid's

I'm just skeptical that Drai would commit 8 years to a team where he doesn't even know if they will be a contender. Even if the odds of McDavid re signing were 90+% there's no upside to taking that risk. Draisaitl will be paid either way and we aren't trading him either

Imo you are so resistant to this idea just because you don't like it. It really would not be that strange or unprecedented
It is not impossible for him to wait. It is just extremely unlikely that he would wait for the explicit reason you state.

Now could things go sour with negotiations and this drags out till next year. Yes. That is possible. However, based on everything we have heard the chances of him not signing this summer are pretty slim to begin with. For your scenario to play out he would have to have pretty much already decided he would not sign this year. That is hitch one since it seems to contradict everything we have heard. It is also a very risky move since he is putting at least $100M in guaranteed money on the line to play his waiting game.

From there the plan to wait until after McDavid signs gets even more complicated. Not only would he have to first go to free agency since McDavid cannot formally sign until after July 1 but it is very possible that McDavid does not sign immediately after July1 for a variety of reasons. Like Leon he may well not want to deal with contract stuff during the season and another long playoff run could easily mean no negotiations until after July 1. We are at August 1 with Leon and there seems to be neither panic or excess urgency to get the deal done. If a similar pattern happens with McDavid, which is certainly possible for a variety of reasons, Leon is still sitting there as a UFA one month after teams have pretty much made almost all of their big moves waiting to see what McDavid will do. At that point his options to go to a contender as a UFA are most likely gone since no contender is going into August 2025 with anywhere close to $13-14M in cap space. Not the smartest move, don't you agree.

And finally there is the chicken vs the egg aspect of your plan. Why would McDavid agree to sign first if Leon refused to sign before he did? Can you give me one reason why he would? Moreover, in the extremely unlikely scenario that McDavid suddenly decides to move on Leon would not be tied to the Oilers even if he signed an 8 year deal. If McDavid unexpectedly indicated he was leaving, and Leon asked to be traded it would be in the Oilers best interest to accommodate him. With McDavid gone and other core players aging the haul they would get a significant haul by trading Leon with 7 more years on his deal.

Leon's agent already said they are only interested in a long term deal. So I think your 1 year deal to make this all happen is completely off the table. (I also see 0 reason why the Oilers would agree to such a deal.)

My feelings about your scenario have nothing to do with my assessment of its likelihood. Given everything we know about the two players it is just extremely unlikely it plays out that way.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
At this time of year I assume the occasion hockey show to get on other issues. So I am more tolerant if they suddenly talked about politics or some non hockey sport on an exclusively hockey show. News is slow now and it can be add content or maybe skip shows. If it doesn't interest me I skip a show myself

I tend to get annoyed about political issues when it is during full hockey news time or the season and they get too into that stuff. I know how to find political content if I am in the mood.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Staples is the human equivalent of a chunk of rancid feces. McCurdy is a hovering fly. If everyone stopped paying attention the journal might be forced to replace them with columnists who are relevant.
I mean piles of people already did quite paying attention to the Journal. Those guys will always be around as they aren't just working for the Journal.

Easy enough to just not pay attention to them if you don't like them.

Reactions: Biltmore

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Does the Journal still exist? Do people still read newspapers? The only 'newspaper' I ever see these days is the "Coffee News" one pager at McDonalds

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
When staples and the old crew at the journal retire rehy will be replaced by cheaper glorified bloggers. Or one day if they need to cut costs they are encouraged to retire, I don't know financials for that paper as to if it is the one paper that actually doesn't lose money.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Man, you guys are next level haters lol. Really don't get the vitriol against our media outside of toxic trolls like Spec.
It's because hockey has evolved but our local media hasn't. it's full of dinosaurs. There are some really good ones out there- DNB, for example. I like Lowetide as well. Strudwick is a beauty. Rob Brown is horrid. His takes all year on the Oilers defense not needing to be upgraded. "Ceci is good or the coach wouldn't play him" was his logic. Gazolla is bad. Matt Kassian is horrendous- I called him out when he said the Oilers defense would collapse without Ceci.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
It's because hockey has evolved but our local media hasn't. it's full of dinosaurs. There are some really good ones out there- DNB, for example. I like Lowetide as well. Strudwick is a beauty. Rob Brown is horrid. His takes all year on the Oilers defense not needing to be upgraded. "Ceci is good or the coach wouldn't play him" was his logic. Gazolla is bad. Matt Kassian is horrendous- I called him out when he said the Oilers defense would collapse without Ceci.
Just because you don’t agree with some of their takes doesn’t mean they are bad.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think the problem is that Staples doesn't separate the hockey content from his other opinions. He retweets everything between his two twitter accounts. In order to find the hockey stuff you are inundated with his political positions.
I have actually never looked at his twitter account.
I just go to the Cult of Hockey website and the CoH youtube channel.

Reactions: grego and Spawn

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
@Spawn
I just found out that there is a Cult of Hockey twitter account as well.

So there really is no need to go to his personal twitter account where he is obviously going to comment on political matters.

Last edited:

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
I think that part kind of got debunked since bets had to be locked in 24 hours before the draft.
This is true. I think for the NHL it's the optics. Which is a joke since you can't watch a hockey game without being spammed with sports betting commercials.

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
I think the problem is that Staples doesn't separate the hockey content from his other opinions. He retweets everything between his two twitter accounts. In order to find the hockey stuff you are inundated with his political positions.

Just because it shows up in your timeline doesn't mean you have to read it.

Keep scrolling, and suck it up.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't understand the hate for Staples. I've had great interactions with him on social media. He always seems fair in his critiques, and he and Bruce McCurdy do a lot of hard work in tracking their scoring chance data.

I'm a big fan, and enjoy his post-game show a lot.

I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of the criticism lobbed his way is due to the fact that politically he's a conservative.
Honestly, I don't get it either. Staples is opinionated and I guess people don't like his political views but I too enjoy his work and the Cult of Hockey pod.
Spec, on the other hand.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium