Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think by now people know your stance on Draisaitl so it wouldn't have come as any shock ;)

He did regress somewhat last year, at least point-wise, which, as I was trying to explain, should help in contract negotiations. His lower regular season numbers could potentially signal a decline, and his playoff performance dropped off of a cliff after the first two rounds. Again, by pointing to the fact that he scored only three points and zero goals in the final, the Oilers can possibly justify a slightly lower contract. MacKinnon makes 12.6 and Draisaitl isn't his equal, so 12ish seems more fair for both sides.
It will not be easy for the Oilers argue that Draisaitl is not McKinnon's equal, at least in terms of when McKinnon signed his extension. Statistically and in terms of hardware, Loen has the upper hand relative to MacKinnon when he signed his deal. It would be a tough stand for the Oilers to take to try and argue against this given that part of this negotiation will be trying to maintain the most collegial relationship between team and player as is absolutely possible.

Reactions: TheGingaNinja

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Staples, and it’s not even close.
I like Staples, he reminds of me that weird uncle everybody has that always has off the wall random takes on everything that everyone knows is wrong but they humor him at family gatherings anyway. His Cult of Hockey partner Bruce McCurdy is a beauty though and actually has a lot of insightful commentary.

Reactions: grego

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I like Staples, he reminds of me that weird uncle everybody has that always has off the wall random takes on everything that everyone knows is wrong but they humor him at family gatherings anyway. His Cult of Hockey partner Bruce McCurdy is a beauty though and actually has a lot of insightful commentary.
Staples is the human equivalent of a chunk of rancid feces. McCurdy is a hovering fly. If everyone stopped paying attention the journal might be forced to replace them with columnists who are relevant.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
You know he had a broken rib for all of the WCF and SCF, right? Like, Drai is a beast in the playoffs, and was again this year until he broke a rib. Yes, he is at the stage of his career where he is starting his decline, but the last 2 rounds this past season are not good stats to back that up.
I don’t think Draisaitl is in decline at all, he’s 28 years old and he’s in his prime and Id bet we don’t see meaningful decline for at least a few years.

Look at Kucherov, had the best year of his career with 128 points then a couple of injury years, then had a full season in his 29 year old season where he “only” put up 113 pts, some would probably say, he’s in decline at that point… nope, followed it up with by far his best season even this year at 30 years old.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
Draisaitl has the sort of skillset that ages well. Ovechkin didn't lose his one-timer and Thornton didn't lose his ability to pass.

Neither will Draisaitl.
It is also not like he isn't super fast. He isn't slow either but it tends to be more of strong skating with skill and ability to do moves. Things that conditioning can keep.

I think it is unlikely that losing a bit of the step is the end of his game, unlike a pure speed player that can only use that as a way to beat a defender

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't understand the hate for Staples. I've had great interactions with him on social media. He always seems fair in his critiques, and he and Bruce McCurdy do a lot of hard work in tracking their scoring chance data.

I'm a big fan, and enjoy his post-game show a lot.

I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of the criticism lobbed his way is due to the fact that politically he's a conservative.
Yeah I am not getting the hate either.
His content is actually pretty good and as you said both him and McCurdy put a lot of time and energy into their breakdowns. I enjoy their content.
I suspect that you're right...some people probably cant seperate the hockey content from his other opinions.
It shouldnt be that way.
There are a few posters on here who I would never agree with politically but I enjoy talking hockey with them.
Sports has the potential to help bring people together...if you let it.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think by now people know your stance on Draisaitl so it wouldn't have come as any shock ;)

He did regress somewhat last year, at least point-wise, which, as I was trying to explain, should help in contract negotiations. His lower regular season numbers could potentially signal a decline, and his playoff performance dropped off of a cliff after the first two rounds. Again, by pointing to the fact that he scored only three points and zero goals in the final, the Oilers can possibly justify a slightly lower contract. MacKinnon makes 12.6 and Draisaitl isn't his equal, so 12ish seems more fair for both sides.
I'm sure Oilers know how banged up he was by the finals. The guy had muffin of a shot with all the injuries he was carrying and was falling down all over the ice.
Don't think his stats in finals would go against him.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Nobody can take Specs biggest media idiot award he is the Gretzky of moronic takes and columns

I don't really get the hate. I listen to his segment on Gregor's show most days and never seem to pick up on his "moronic takes" that he's known for.

I know he's been pretty bad at the post game pressers with the players and can be pretty disrespectful to them, but when it comes to hearing him talk on podcasts he seems pretty normal.

Reactions: guymez

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
You know he had a broken rib for all of the WCF and SCF, right? Like, Drai is a beast in the playoffs, and was again this year until he broke a rib. Yes, he is at the stage of his career where he is starting his decline, but the last 2 rounds this past season are not good stats to back that up.
I realize he was injured, and that in itself represents another potential issue. Draisaitl has been injured for each of the last three playoff series and that raises a red flag about his potential conditioning and/or durability. He seems to fade in the later rounds of the playoffs. 0 Goals in the CF against Colorado in 2022. 1 point in the last four games against Vegas in 2023. 2 goals against Dallas and 0 goals against Florida this past year. Not an encouraging trend.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Draisaitl can ask for whatever he wants, Oilers have 0 leverage and everyone knows it. Draisaitl could demand 15 and Mcdavid will force them to do it.

How is that different from any other star player still in their 20s? Was Colorado going to trade MacKinnon if he asked for $14 million? I doubt it.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
How is that different from any other star player still in their 20s? Was Colorado going to trade MacKinnon if he asked for $14 million? I doubt it.
If Draisaitl doesn't resign then Mcdavid walks. How is that similar to Mackinnon?

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
I realize he was injured, and that in itself represents another potential issue. Draisaitl has been injured for each of the last three playoff series and that raises a red flag about his potential conditioning and/or durability. He seems to fade in the later rounds of the playoffs. 0 Goals in the CF against Colorado in 2022. 1 point in the last four games against Vegas in 2023. 2 goals against Dallas and 0 goals against Florida this past year. Not an encouraging trend.
Sorry but I have to disagree with this. Yes, he’s been injured. He essentially never misses games in the regular season though even though he gets banged-up.

Last year Pietro tries to chop his arm in half. This year a Vancouver cheap shot breaks/cracks a rib(s). The year before (maybe it was last year) he has a high ankle sprain and totally guts it out. Many players shot it down completely.

Compare that to Aust0n ‘my tummy hurts and I feel kinda-sorta bad and don’t feel like playing’ and there’s no comparison.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Kane and Toews deals were up at the same time. That makes their situation completely different. For Draisaitl to wait and see what McDavid will do he would have to wait until at the very earliest July 1 of next year which would push him to free agency.

You don't have to mention security for it to be a priority. I am at least 99.999999% sure that if Leon wants to stay in Edmonton he will also want to sign before he hits UFA status.

In the vast majority of cases where other players waited it was either because they wanted to leave, or because they were not happy with their offer and waiting would give them a bargaining. In the case of both Loen and McDavid, they will get what they want.
If Drasaitl wants to see what McDavid does, I don't see why he would care if he hit free agent status or not. That's something that our management and fans want to avoid at all costs. I haven't heard anything about Drai putting priority on financial security.

I'm not saying I think this will happen. I'm just pointing it out as an option. He has always been in awe of McDavid so it wouldn't surprise me if he wanted to wait to sign

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The injuries he has had are not really a big signal of issues with conditioning or durability. In fact he has been extremely durable. In the last 4 years he has missed 5 games.
If Drasaitl wants to see what McDavid does, I don't see why he would care if he hit free agent status or not. That's something that our management and fans want to avoid at all costs. I haven't heard anything about Drai putting priority on financial security.

I'm not saying I think this will happen. I'm just pointing it out as an option. He has always been in awe of McDavid so it wouldn't surprise me if he wanted to wait to sign
Theoretically he could retire as well or go play in the KHL. This is going to sound very sarcastic so I apologize in advance. But I think that chances of him doing either of those two things are about the same as him waiting until McDavid signs before he does. McDavid is not even able to sign formally until July 1, 2025. But he could sign in August or September just as easily if he wants to see what the roster/payroll looks like prior to signing. It's just not a plausible theory.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The injuries he has had are not really a big signal of issues with conditioning or durability. In fact he has been extremely durable. In the last 4 years he has missed 5 games.

Theoretically he could retire as well or go play in the KHL. This is going to sound very sarcastic so I apologize in advance. But I think that chances of him doing either of those two things are about the same as him waiting until McDavid signs before he does. McDavid is not even able to sign formally until July 1, 2025. But he could sign in August or September just as easily if he wants to see what the roster/payroll looks like prior to signing. It's just not a plausible theory.
Explain why it is so impossible for Drai to wait. He would not be the first impending UFA to become a free agent. He would not even be the first UFA to simply re-sign with his last team.

I'd even wonder if maybe to take the sting out of wondering, if he might consider signing for one year, just so his contract would align with McDavid's

I'm just skeptical that Drai would commit 8 years to a team where he doesn't even know if they will be a contender. Even if the odds of McDavid re signing were 90+% there's no upside to taking that risk. Draisaitl will be paid either way and we aren't trading him either

Imo you are so resistant to this idea just because you don't like it. It really would not be that strange or unprecedented

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
100%

His record is unbeatable. It's really annoying too when he goes political as well.
oh my god this. His political takes are just so bad. Even from a pure journalistic view- he often states a point as a fact, then he'll quote another editorial piece as evidence of his fact.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If Draisaitl doesn't resign then Mcdavid walks. How is that similar to Mackinnon?

It's not that different from any star player though, Toronto or Colorado would have paid MacKinnon or Matthews whatever number they wanted too. No one is going to risk losing a top 10 player who is in their 20s because they asked for $1-$1.5 million more than expected.

Even if Connor wasn't here, they pay Leon the highest salary in the NHL if thats what he wants because really what is the alternative, trying to find a top 10 player on the trade market?

Leon and Connor need to decide how bad they want a Cup. That's all it comes down to.

Michael Jordan was underpaid for most of his career, Tom Brady took less, LeBron took less for a period in his career, Steph Curry was on a bargain contract, Crosby took a lower cap hit for many years not going above 8.7.

So that's up to them.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yeah I am not getting the hate either.
His content is actually pretty good and as you said both him and McCurdy put a lot of time and energy into their breakdowns. I enjoy their content.
I suspect that you're right...some people probably cant seperate the hockey content from his other opinions.
It shouldnt be that way.
There are a few posters on here who I would never agree with politically but I enjoy talking hockey with them.
Sports has the potential to help bring people together...if you let it.
I think the problem is that Staples doesn't separate the hockey content from his other opinions. He retweets everything between his two twitter accounts. In order to find the hockey stuff you are inundated with his political positions.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Draisaitl can ask for whatever he wants, Oilers have 0 leverage and everyone knows it. Draisaitl could demand 15 and Mcdavid will force them to do it.

I don't think anyone goes into negotiations with that kind of vantage point. He can't just demand anything he wants. He can demand what he's worth relative to the market to it's fullest value sure. Fact is: Edmonton is in a championship window; on it's roster is arguable the most advanced player the league has ever seen in it's existence and is top 10 most valuable franchise in the league.

Sure, maybe he likes the glitz and the glam of a city like New York or the weather in LA. But these players are gone half the year anyways and will accumulate enough wealth to go wherever they want, when they want. This isn't like a Tckahuck situation, were it's an American player who's just homesick. It's not very common for NHL stars to sign with a team other than the one that has drafted them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad