Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Actually it's a great contract compared to the Matthews contract.

I’d take the structure of Matthews contract over this one all day. A 4 year deal for a guy who is going to be 30 when it starts is better than an 8 year one, unless the 8 years comes with a discount on the cap. Which this doesn’t. If this is true, Draisaitl will have the highest hit in the league. I'm not sure he was truly in the conversation for "2nd best player in the NHL" this past season to warrant getting more than everyone else in the league.

And I get it, this is the cost of keeping him and obviously you need to do that. But the back half of this deal will be ugly ugly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke74

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No chance leon doesnt get a full 8 years of nmc if he signs an extension. Seems made up to me.

Yeah that too. He will get at bare minimum 6 year NMC, probably the full 8 years. I would assume the signing bonuses would be for more than 2 years too since Leon is a foreigner technically, I think there are benefits to having a contract with heavy signing bonuses.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I wonder if a Draisaitl extension was already agreed to and they wanted to wait until after the Bowman announcement to confirm it to calm the waters with the fanbase after the initial shitstorm from the Bowman announcement. Wouldn't surprise if me if JJ strategically did this.
That was my guess, yeah.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I’d take the structure of Matthews contract over this one all day. A 4 year deal for a guy who is going to be 30 when it starts is better than an 8 year one, unless the 8 years comes with a discount on the cap. Which this doesn’t. If this is true, Draisaitl will have the highest hit in the league. I'm not sure he was truly in the conversation for "2nd best player in the NHL" this past season to warrant getting more than everyone else in the league.

And I get it, this is the cost of keeping him and obviously you need to do that. But the back half of this deal will be ugly ugly.
Based on the detials in the post I am skeptical. But if it was to be a a 4 year deal it could easily be over $14M maybe closer to $15M.

I posted an article recently where the League is targeting $10B in revenue by the end of the decade which would be two years past the midpoint. It is ambitious but not 100% unrealistic. In any case, $8B at the midpoint would not be unrealistic. At that number by the current formula the cap would be around $125M. This may sound out of whack but with $6.2B in revenue this year the cap right now under the pre-covid formula would be over $100M.

We are on the verge of a potentially massive increase in the cap an players and their agents know this. If that happens we typically see a big reset in salaries. It would not surprise me to see Matthews next deal at something like $16M if the cap returns to anything like its previous rules.

The back half of his deal will be 5 years from now. By that time they are looking at turning over a significant part of the roster. You worry about that when it happens but for right now the best option to keep the window open as long as possible is to have both McDavid and Draisaitl locked up as long as possible. If you want to attract players as UFA knowing that these two are around for the duration is a big plus.

JJ must have negotiated that, I thought he was leaving that for the new GM. No way Stan negotiated that in two days with the wedding coming up.

Fine with the number, better than waiting until FA then signing with Boston
I really don't think that this is an accurate post. The number sounds fine but I'd be shocked if the signing bonus is only for two years. I expect that deal to be structured as a bonus heavy deal.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
IMG_1511.jpeg

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
That's too high, IMO. He should probably land somewhere between MacKinnon's 12.6 million and Pastrnak's 11.5 at around 12.
12 isn’t realistic at all, in fact it’s insulting. Those contracts were signed 2 years and 1 year ago and Pasta is a winger.

Read Fourier’s post above detailing the likely future cap based on revenue numbers and you’ll understand that anything under 14M is good business because if he goes to market someone is paying him 15+ based on projected cap in coming years.

Whats your plan? If he won’t take under 13 you trade your second best player or let him walk in the middle of a Cup window over less then a million dollars when he’s already taking below market value? I guess that’s smart, perennial 100 point players are pretty easy to come by these days.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
12 isn’t realistic at all, in fact it’s insulting. Those contracts were signed 2 years and 1 year ago and Pasta is a winger.

Read Fourier’s post above detailing the likely future cap based on revenue numbers and you’ll understand that anything under 14M is good business because if he goes to market someone is paying him 15+ based on projected cap in coming years.

Whats your plan? If he won’t take under 13 you trade your second best player or let him walk in the middle of a Cup window over less then a million dollars when he’s already taking below market value? I guess that’s smart, perennial 100 point players are pretty easy to come by these days.

They'll get whatever they want (they being McDavid and Draisaitl). They have to decide how bad they actually want a Cup. Is it a "must have" or is it a "I'd like to have", because there's a difference.

He could do

13.5/13.5/13.5/13.5/13.5/13.5

That would pay him more than Matthews and MacKinnon and Kucherov for the next 6 years and then if he really wants a Cup that bad, do something like

11/7.75 the last two years of the deal (8 year deal in total). That would bring the cap hit down to about 12.5 (just under actually).

To me that's fair if you want to win, but hey he's free to feel differently. When you've made that much money overall in your career getting 7.75 million when you're 37 or whatever isn't going to make that much of a difference versus insisting you get 10+ mill in that year in your quality of life.

Both should accept that they'll take a lot less on that 8th extra year especially to drive the cap hit down.

Leon is going to finish his career with $170 million-ish in career earnings, maybe more if he can continue to play past age 37/38. McDavid will be north of $200 million just from hockey salary alone (probably a good $50-$60+ million from endorsements on top of that). Having $178 million and $210 million instead ... I guess they have to decide whether or not that really impacts the quality of their life that much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke74

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018

I think his subpar regular season and playoff performances last year may signal the beginning of a decline, which should take about a milly off his projected contract value and is also something the Oilers should be wary of.

People slag on him now for being slow and lazy - wait till he's making $13.5 million dollars a year at age 37-38 - or even earlier than that. It will be fun times around here and will make the Looch (and Nurse) contracts look like bargains in comparison.

I'm not saying to trade him but at least consider these factors when negotiating.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I hate using Matthews as a Comp for Drai. Matthews is an overrated, no-show playoff performer that got overpaid to the moon due to the Toronto hype scamjob. MacK, who is paid appropriately and is better than Matthews, should be Drais comp.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
They'll get whatever they want (they being McDavid and Draisaitl). They have to decide how bad they actually want a Cup. Is it a "must have" or is it a "I'd like to have", because there's a difference.

He could do

13.5/13.5/13.5/13.5/13.5/13.5

That would pay him more than Matthews and MacKinnon and Kucherov for the next 6 years and then if he really wants a Cup that bad, do something like

11/7.75 the last two years of the deal (8 year deal in total). That would bring the cap hit down to about 12.5 (just under actually).

To me that's fair if you want to win, but hey he's free to feel differently. When you've made that much money overall in your career getting 7.75 million when you're 37 or whatever isn't going to make that much of a difference versus insisting you get 10+ mill in that year in your quality of life.

Both should accept that they'll take a lot less on that 8th extra year especially to drive the cap hit down.

Leon is going to finish his career with $170 million-ish in career earnings, maybe more if he can continue to play past age 37/38. McDavid will be north of $200 million just from hockey salary alone (probably a good $50-$60+ million from endorsements on top of that). Having $178 million and $210 million instead ... I guess they have to decide whether or not that really impacts the quality of their life that much.
I think your take is reasonable and I would love to see it happen. If I was in his shoes I’d do it in a heartbeat to boost my cup chances knowing that I’ve already got 75M working for me and either way I’m set for life. I think Leon wants to and will take a discount to stay but I think he also wants to protect his worth, especially in a fast rising cap environment. I don’t think he wants to be known as the guy who was criminally underpaid his entire career.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Whats your plan? If he won’t take under 13 you trade your second best player or let him walk in the middle of a Cup window over less than a million dollars when he’s already taking below market value? I guess that’s smart, perennial 100 point players are pretty easy to come by these days.
Take MacKs cap percentage then. Not cap hit, have it be adjusted for inflation. It can still act as a comp for Drai. A much better comp than the overrated Matthews.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think his subpar regular season and playoff performances last year may signal the beginning of a decline, which should take about a milly off his projected contract value and is also something the Oilers should be wary of.

People slag on him now for being slow and lazy - wait till he's making $13.5 million dollars a year at age 37-38 - or even earlier than that. It will be fun times around here and will make the Looch (and Nurse) contracts look like bargains in comparison.

I'm not saying to trade him but at least consider these factors when negotiating.
108 pt season and 31 playoff points in 25 games, and being a top point producer in the playoffs is subpar to you? Can you tell me in your estimation what constitutes a good performance just so that I have a reference?

Leon has been a perennial 100 point player, he’s one of the most dominant players in the league, he’s a physical beast and he’ll be 29 years old when the season starts. The guy is in the middle of his prime and has at least 4-5 more years have being a top player in the league. We’re trying to win as much as possible over those years and losing a player like Leon makes it harder not easier. Deal with a declining 37-38 year old Leon when you get there.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
108 pt season and 31 playoff points in 25 games, and being a top point producer in the playoffs is subpar to you? Can you tell me in your estimation what constitutes a good performance just so that I have a reference?

Leon has been a perennial 100 point player, he’s one of the most dominant players in the league, he’s a physical beast and he’ll be 29 years old when the season starts. The guy is in the middle of his prime and has at least 4-5 more years have being a top player in the league. We’re trying to win as much as possible over those years and losing a player like Leon makes it harder not easier. Deal with a declining 37-38 year old Leon when you get there.
This x 1000

Pay that man.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Subpar??? What team and player are you watching??

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
That’s a bad contract. But it is what it is

If McDavid and Drai both want to sign similar deals like Kane and Toews did, and that is pretty much what both will get, I would be happy with that.

Fingers crossed for a nice run of cap increases. Go inflation go ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad