Speculation: Sorry to be the one to ask, but what do the Blue Jackets do?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
I mean if your point here is it's too soon to be discussing this probably avoid the thread that is solely focused on discussing it? Consider it callous or not but the business side continues as if it were just another day and frankly the CBJ front office have probably been discussing this long before OP made this thread
The thread is qualified with an apology for offense; Are you really unaware that that’s as bright a beacon for eliciting response as there can be short of blatant insult?

Secondly, you’re using “frankly” and “probably” in a way that wants to oblige the reader to take your subjective sense of the situation as the fact of the matter as though you know it to be true, when you don’t.

What’s most likely, is that Columbus has stopped all business concerning anything attached to Johnny Gaudreau until sometime after camp, never mind in proximity to the memorial and funeral.

I suspect they haven’t begun to talk about it because it’s…obviously completely culturally inappropriate. Because it would cause a tremendous burden on the esprit de corps in management and certainly within the team.

And to reiterate: I do consider it callous because it is.

Consider that there’s been one AP article that occasioned a slight tone of business, in a “what else can we do but go on” in the face of tragedy, and that everything else out there is a tribute to Johnny.

Of course business will continue. When it’s time to - but this thread definitely didn’t get the memo that even the rabid press got, likely set in tone by the club…who aren’t talking about and haven’t been talking about replacing Gaudreau’s numbers with his “cap hit” for goodness sake.

The only “business” that continued like it’s “just another day” is the kind of business that has absolutely no clue how organizations who value their people - especially beloved athletes - operate.

In fact, it’s the absolute worst optics from a purely business standpoint to be seen conducting business during this type of tragedy and absolutely essential to be seen focusing solely on the human needs clearly at hand.

Reactions: squashmaple

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
I get it from an economic and union point of view. And I agree with you. I still think the PA, in this extreme case, just agrees.
Yeah. I would think in a limited timeframe that I agree with this. Obviously CBJ don’t get a forever exception or anything like a pick compensation… but I think to not necessitate a hasty move (like signing JVR or similar to exactly what is necessary to get to the floor or something), the PA doesn’t want to invite the bad press of going too hard on Columbus in the aftermath

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don’t understand the fixation on the idea that CBJ should be granted a cap waiver on the basis that it’s either too late, or that they would be forced into a poor bargaining position re: taking on a cap dump.

Free agents exist, you know. And you can pay them whatever you want. Nothing is to stop Columbus from paying a guy like JVR enough on a 1 year contract to make ends meet. Of course, whether that player is actually of a caliber as JVR’s is yet to be seen, but the point remains the same. There is absolutely no obligation here to make a trade, especially one that doesn’t benefit the organization.
Per the other cap sites, looks like CBJ listed at $61.8 mill. Floor should be $72 mill, as the difference between ceiling and floor is $16 mill iirc. Now if gaudreau got his $2 mill SB for the season then that should be allocated against their cap. And there are no adjustments needed for prior years as he was paid $9.75 mill per year to match his cap hit.

If that is to be added leaves CBJ $8.2 mill under. Prior to the accident cbj made it clear they were open to taking a salary cap dump aiming to recoup a 2nd or something as they traded their next 2 away.

there are options to hit the floor that do not require cbj to give up assets. Plus they have 8 open contract slots so they do have flexibility.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Per the other cap sites, looks like CBJ listed at $61.8 mill. Floor should be $72 mill, as the difference between ceiling and floor is $16 mill iirc. Now if gaudreau got his $2 mill SB for the season then that should be allocated against their cap. And there are no adjustments needed for prior years as he was paid $9.75 mill per year to match his cap hit.

If that is to be added leaves CBJ $8.2 mill under. Prior to the accident cbj made it clear they were open to taking a salary cap dump aiming to recoup a 2nd or something as they traded their next 2 away.

there are options to hit the floor that do not require cbj to give up assets. Plus they have 8 open contract slots so they do have flexibility.
The cap floor is $65 million.

Reactions: rsteen

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Couldn’t Columbus just trade for a guy who’s on LTIR and get to the floor that way? There must be someone who’s on “Robidas” island available.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Couldn’t Columbus just trade for a guy who’s on LTIR and get to the floor that way? There must be someone who’s on “Robidas” island available.
They'll figure something out once the league rules on Gaudreau's cap hit. I'll be shocked if the league doesn't allow Columbus to use his cap hit for at least the 24/25 season (non-tradeable I would imagine as well).

Reactions: Fatass

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Blow it up! Blow what up? Werenski & Severson? Jenner & Monahan? So the idea here is to get rid of players after losing our best forward? So we can get Hagen! PSA, CBJ is already in the running for Hagen.

Breaking News : Columbus is the new farm team of the NHL. Anyone over 25 need not apply.

And can somebody link a article where GMDW says he's wanting cap dump? Especially after losing two top line players in the last 30 days? I know this is probably crazy talk, but maybe his priority have changed....just putting it out there.

And judging from the comments, it doesn't really matter. Bettman will soon force Columbus to take on unnecessary / unwanted contracts/players because it's following the rules?

Who makes the rules? And since this has never happened before (cap Era) I highly doubt they have a rule for it.

But, but, but their circumventing the cap O.M.G NHL is giving a team an unfair advantage because of ....

WTF is this thread.

Reactions: Fro

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If that's the floor, then why is it such a big deal for them to reach it? $3.25 mill or so away from the floor. Depending on the Gaudreau $2 mill signing bonus, they may even end up being $1.25 mill away from it. Be it LTIR only, an actual player, or a combo of the 2, it's not difficult to reach it. If it iwas $10 mill away, I can maybe understand, but at most $3.25 mill?

carjackmalone

Dec 30, 2023
Realistic options is to bring in a warhorse ie: Patrick Kane,Taylor Hall, and try and be as competitive as possible

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
If that's the floor, then why is it such a big deal for them to reach it? $3.25 mill or so away from the floor. Depending on the Gaudreau $2 mill signing bonus, they may even end up being $1.25 mill away from it. Be it LTIR only, an actual player, or a combo of the 2, it's not difficult to reach it. If it iwas $10 mill away, I can maybe understand, but at most $3.25 mill?
I'm not sure it is a big deal. Let's wait to see how the league rules on Gadreau's cap hit. Spending $3.25 million on the remaining UFA's does mean they would be overpaying someone...maybe a lot. Not ideal.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm not sure it is a big deal. Let's wait to see how the league rules on Gadreau's cap hit. Spending $3.25 million on the remaining UFA's does mean they would be overpaying someone...maybe a lot. Not ideal.
Can also just add an LTIR player and a roster player to take Gaudreau's spot. Poolman/Fast are at like $2.5 mill and with a low cost roster player would reach the floor.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Because that moment those two had on the draft floor after he was drafted, looking forward to playing professionally together, is one of the few heartwarming moments we've been able to have lately.

Lately? They were both drafted in 2023.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm sure the NHL's ruling on a cap exception will be known shortly, maybe a a day or two after the service on Monday

I haven't fully read up on it but my impression is that the NHLPA is the org that has to grant the exception. And I don't know if NHLPA leadership can act quickly like that, it's not that type of organization.

When I did the numbers earlier they were $2.7m shy of the cap floor with a 22 man roster. Gaudreau's full cap hit is off the books, regardless of any payments made to date, just as if you had traded a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad