Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Dermott on a PTO, Will We See More PTO's? Can We Get Some Toughness Too Please?

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

May god have mercy on your soul.

and this guy turns up with an insult within 5 minutes every time....

gang gang
dancing-cowboy.gif

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's good team D for certain, and our top pairing is VERY good in fact. But our bottom 4 was really bad (just go look at the advanced stats on them) and that is where we got worse (although I personally don't know how much we got worse). Our forwards are so dominant, that it covers up a lot of deficiencies on our backend

If the goals against is good and you're choking the life out of opponents' offense in playoff rounds, what exactly is the issue? It's like whining that you're getting women because you're rich and not because you have some preconceived notion that it must be done through good looks or whatever.

Like who cares. If they can play D like they did last year they'll be fine. The only pairing Knoblaugh couldn't make work was Nurse + Ceci, those two together just bring out the worst in each other.

Here's a secret too ... most teams really only have one great D pairing. They make due with the rest, no one is rocking like 3 superstar pairings in a cap world.

Even Nurse for all the shit he takes, away from Ceci, Nurse was +4 in the Finals. Ekblad was a f***ing disaster at -5. Forsling had a mediocre Finals too at -2.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Last year, the top pair was the best top pair in the NHL, and the bottom pair was one of the best in the NHL as well. The 2nd pair wasn't good but the team was good enough around it so that it didn't do too much damage. This year, we can expect Ekholm-Bouchard to stay near the top, but simply put, we don't know what we have with the 2nd or 3rd pair. We also don't know how Nurse will look, seeing as he's still recovering from an injury he got in the playoffs. There's a lot of uncertainty there.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
If the goals against is good and you're choking the life out of opponents' offense in playoff rounds, what exactly is the issue? It's like whining that you're getting women because you're rich and not because you have some preconceived notion that it must be done through good looks or whatever.

Like who cares. If they can play D like they did last year they'll be fine. The only pairing Knoblaugh couldn't make work was Nurse + Ceci, those two together just bring out the worst in each other.

Here's a secret too ... most teams really only have one great D pairing. They make due with the rest, no one is rocking like 3 superstar pairings in a cap world.

Even Nurse for all the shit he takes, away from Ceci, Nurse was +4 in the Finals. Ekblad was a f***ing disaster at -5. Forsling had a mediocre Finals too at -2.

I'll give you props for that analogy alone, lol.

I don't even LOOK at +/- when evaluating defenders. Such a terrible stat, even more so in a small sample size. Go look at Nurse's advanced stats in the finals, they were god-awful. I don't know how Ekholm's were off top of head though.

I get what you are saying on the whole though: that where you get the D from doesn't matter as much as you get it. Which is true. I expect the team to have a 50th+ percentile ES GA as a team again this year and wouldn't be shocked by 75th percentile). So I'm not saying the team D is bad, I'm saying the D corps on this team is bad. The D corps is, by far, the weakest part of this team. It was last year, and it is more pronounced this year I believe. Just imagine how much better the team D would be if we had better D players on the backend? Again, I suspect they will attempt to solve the problem somewhat at the TDL, but this unit is so bad, that even with a somewhat competent #4 added (the likely add at the TDL), the unit will still be average at best.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

Even Nurse for all the shit he takes, away from Ceci, Nurse was +4 in the Finals. Ekblad was a f***ing disaster at -5.
Look at the teams we lose to. Vegas had a great defense. Colorado had a great defense. Florida shut us down because they played incredible team defense and we couldn't keep pace with them.

It probably would have been better if the Oilers did get swept in the finals because gang gang wouldn't have so many built in excuses.

Kulak sucked. Nurse sucked. This means Kulak and everyone down needs to be replaced. Nurse needs an agile puck transporter to help him out or he's going to suck again.

We are not a cup caliber team right now... not even in the vicinity. You guys can play pretend all you want but the Oilers need major upgrades on defense right now, not down the road. Because if they want to contend they'll need more than one guy.

This one magic guy at the deadline because of accrued cap space scenario is a false f***ing narrative. It will cost the Oilers their one last shot at a championship.

Oilers can't even ice a full defense now while Draisaitl is making 8.5M and Bouchard is making 3.9M. Let me tell you, they won't be making that next season.

Why do you keep making excuses? And it's the same with the same posters every year because the defense is a mess every year.

Management needs to get off its f***ing ass and start fixing the team. Now.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
I remember there was an Oilers media member (Debrusk I think)? that said Ethan Bear needs to start becoming more professional and more prepared and fans were shitting all over that media member. It was said on the radio. Hopefully whatever was bothering him, he is past it now. When he was here, I remember the media vaguely talking about it.

Former #Oilers D Ethan Bear on waivers today… recently graduated out of the NHL Player’s Assistance Program.Hope he can land back on his feet with another team this season… EDM could use another RD but that $2 mil cap hit makes it very difficult.

Reactions: Oilhawks

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
My issue with the current defense is this. There doesn't appear to be anyone available right now who would create a meaningful improvement on D. Everyone knows the Oilers are going to be swinging for the fenses for a 1st/2nd pairing right D at the deadline. Unless they can do that now, they might as well grind it out with Dermott/Stetcher/Emberson for the first 10 to 15 games to see if things work out. Anyone who is available now will likely be available at the end of October or mid-November through a trade anyways.

It's not ideal, but we all knew the right side on D was going to be an issue. At any rate, the Oilers need to bring in at least a 4RD to be better than they were last playoffs. The good thing is that they are probably that one transaction away from being clearly the best team in the league.

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
Bear was waived by the Caps.

If he's healthy, trade Josh Brown and 5th for Bear @50% and Philp.

The team is better.

Why do some of you guys have such a heart (;)) on for Bear? He's continually proven he's not an NHL player.

The guy was scratched in CAR, and now he can't even make WSH. What the f*** is the point of brining him back? So you can wear your Bear Oilers jersey with Cree letters and feel relevant?

Help me to understand. Somebody. Anybody.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Why do some of you guys have such a heart (;)) on for Bear? He's continually proven he's not an NHL player.

The guy was scratched in CAR, and now he can't even make WSH. What the f*** is the point of brining him back? So you can wear your Bear Oilers jersey with Cree letters and feel relevant?

Help me to understand. Somebody. Anybody.
Ethan Bear, healthy, is 5 times the player Josh Brown is. Hurt, he's still twice the player.

It's not heart, it's just thinking about players, the organization is already familiar, who's just available.

Your problems with him is sort of your problems.

He didn't make the RHD of the Caps with 2 veterans and one recent UFA in from him? No kidding.

All the best to Jack Campbell, but also ugh.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I'll give you props for that analogy alone, lol.

I don't even LOOK at +/- when evaluating defenders. Such a terrible stat, even more so in a small sample size. Go look at Nurse's advanced stats in the finals, they were god-awful. I don't know how Ekholm's were off top of head though.

I get what you are saying on the whole though: that where you get the D from doesn't matter as much as you get it. Which is true. I expect the team to have a 50th+ percentile ES GA as a team again this year and wouldn't be shocked by 75th percentile). So I'm not saying the team D is bad, I'm saying the D corps on this team is bad. The D corps is, by far, the weakest part of this team. It was last year, and it is more pronounced this year I believe. Just imagine how much better the team D would be if we had better D players on the backend? Again, I suspect they will attempt to solve the problem somewhat at the TDL, but this unit is so bad, that even with a somewhat competent #4 added (the likely add at the TDL), the unit will still be average at best.
If you look only at the finals sample size becomes quite small to say much but over the course of the playoffs Nurse played 159 minutes 5 vs 5 away from both Ceci and Broberg. YOu can see the results here:

Some notable numbers: xGF% 56.29% HDCF% 54.55%

In the finals it was actually playing with Broberg that tanked Nurse's advanced stats. Broberg had his moments but overall he had a tough time keeping the puck out of his end.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
View attachment 912432

Welp, guess Jack has his own Demons to fight now.

Jack Campbell has been open in the past with his struggles with his mental health. Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the case again.

IIRC that’s also why Bear entered the player assistance program last year. It was mental health related, not substance abuse.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
We weren't a top 10 Dcore team before, not by a long shot. The defensive successes we had, were due to forwards being superior mostly. Not due to D player success.

No, Nurse was barely a bottom pairing guy in the playoffs last year.
You do know they have pretty much the same forwards and actually upgraded the top 6.

Even the biggest Nurse haters know that he's more than a bottom pairing guy so....come on man.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Bear was waived by the Caps.

If he's healthy, trade Josh Brown and 5th for Bear @50% and Philp.

The team is better.
Bear is cooked.

Look at the teams we lose to. Vegas had a great defense. Colorado had a great defense. Florida shut us down because they played incredible team defense and we couldn't keep pace with them.

It probably would have been better if the Oilers did get swept in the finals because gang gang wouldn't have so many built in excuses.

Kulak sucked. Nurse sucked. This means Kulak and everyone down needs to be replaced. Nurse needs an agile puck transporter to help him out or he's going to suck again.

We are not a cup caliber team right now... not even in the vicinity. You guys can play pretend all you want but the Oilers need major upgrades on defense right now, not down the road. Because if they want to contend they'll need more than one guy.

This one magic guy at the deadline because of accrued cap space scenario is a false f***ing narrative. It will cost the Oilers their one last shot at a championship.

Oilers can't even ice a full defense now while Draisaitl is making 8.5M and Bouchard is making 3.9M. Let me tell you, they won't be making that next season.

Why do you keep making excuses? And it's the same with the same posters every year because the defense is a mess every year.

Management needs to get off its f***ing ass and start fixing the team. Now.
bullshit.

We matched them with team defence. Team defence was a strength we had in the playoffs.

Your takes are getting worse and worse since the offer sheets.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad