Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Dermott on a PTO, Will We See More PTO's? Can We Get Some Toughness Too Please?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Last year, the top pair was the best top pair in the NHL, and the bottom pair was one of the best in the NHL as well. The 2nd pair wasn't good but the team was good enough around it so that it didn't do too much damage. This year, we can expect Ekholm-Bouchard to stay near the top, but simply put, we don't know what we have with the 2nd or 3rd pair. We also don't know how Nurse will look, seeing as he's still recovering from an injury he got in the playoffs. There's a lot of uncertainty there.
The bottom pair will be fine. Kulak has always driven the 3rd pair to good results no matter who his D partner is.
The biggest question, as always, is the 2nd pair. It was a big question mark the last 3 years and the same this upcoming season.

Reactions: Oilers88 and Faelko

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Why do some of you guys have such a heart (;)) on for Bear? He's continually proven he's not an NHL player.

The guy was scratched in CAR, and now he can't even make WSH. What the f*** is the point of brining him back? So you can wear your Bear Oilers jersey with Cree letters and feel relevant?

Help me to understand. Somebody. Anybody.
Its unbelievable. This guy has to be one of the most over loved player in fandom history. Small, slow & frightened is not a recipe for a half decent NHL D-man.
And if ya dont believe it, fine. But basically 5 NHL teams dont agree with you.
I fondly remember those rage fill days after he was traded for Foegle.
Unbelievable.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Its unbelievable. This guy has to be one of the most over loved player in fandom history. Small, slow & frightened is not a recipe for a half decent NHL D-man.
And if ya dont believe it, fine. But basically 5 NHL teams dont agree with you.
I fondly remember those rage fill days after he was traded for Foegle.
Unbelievable.
and here I am still livid that we HAVE NOTHING TO SHOW FOR THE BEAR TRADE!!!!!

/s

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

Is it wrong that I think the spot to upgrade is the one next to Kulak?
I prefer to have a puck-mover next to Nurse vs. a defensive defenceman, even if they're a worse player in a vacuum.

Imo...

Nurse-Emberson/Stecher
Kulak-Murphy

flows together better than

Nurse-Murphy
Kulak-Stecher/Emberson

Even if the #3-#6, #5-#4 setup is a little weird.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Is it wrong that I think the spot to upgrade is the one next to Kulak?
I prefer to have a puck-mover next to Nurse vs. a defensive defenceman, even if they're a worse player in a vacuum.

Imo...

Nurse-Emberson/Stecher
Kulak-Murphy

flows together better than

Nurse-Murphy
Kulak-Stecher/Emberson

Even if the #3-#6, #5-#4 setup is a little weird.

I get your idea but disagree because of the minutes and competition against required for the 2nd pair.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I get your idea but disagree because of the minutes and competition against required for the 2nd pair.

Nurse has carried worse defensively vs. better competition, that's why I think you'd get away with it. Just so long as they're competent with the puck on their stick. That's the main reason why I have questions about Emberson, but can see Stecher doing (relatively) well there.

I also don't hate the idea of Kulak-Emberson as a Kulak-Vinny replacement.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Nurse has carried worse defensively vs. better competition, that's why I think you'd get away with it. Just so long as they're competent with the puck on their stick. That's the main reason why I have questions about Emberson, but can see Stecher doing (relatively) well there.

I also don't hate the idea of Kulak-Emberson as a Kulak-Vinny replacement.

It’s more Kulak playing elevated minutes that has me concerned. He’s good for short stretches but has shown it’s above his pay grade for long stretches.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
View attachment 912432

Welp, guess Jack has his own Demons to fight now.
And if this organization had any balls whatsoever the Oil would have an extra roster player they could ice for the next 6 years. All they had to do was sideline crazy. Instead we passed on the problem, and it took Detroit a couple of preseason games for them to figure it out. And they do it on the up and up without question. Not even a f***ing peep. What a joke with the Oil as the punchline yet again.

This is how we take care of Jack:
2024-25: $1.1 million
2025-26: $2.3 million
2026-27: $2.6 million
2027-28: $1.5 million
2028-29: $1.5 million
2029-30: $1.5 million

For the smart alec, the above is subtracted from our cap.
The bottom pair will be fine. Kulak has always driven the 3rd pair to good results no matter who his D partner is. The biggest question, as always, is the 2nd pair. It was a big question mark the last 3 years and the same this upcoming season.

The Oilers bottom 3 defensemen are absolute garbage. Not just Brown, all of them. We don't just need a partner for Nurse.

Kulak is garbage. Get rid of him. Ceci was twice the player and they jettisoned him for a guy they tried to sell as an answer in Emberson. The media was saturated with smoke, they were blowing it up the guy's ass claiming how good he was. Guess what, Emberson isn't good.

Last edited:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
If you look only at the finals sample size becomes quite small to say much but over the course of the playoffs Nurse played 159 minutes 5 vs 5 away from both Ceci and Broberg. YOu can see the results here:

Some notable numbers: xGF% 56.29% HDCF% 54.55%

In the finals it was actually playing with Broberg that tanked Nurse's advanced stats. Broberg had his moments but overall he had a tough time keeping the puck out of his end.

Agree that Ceci and Broberg were both bad, and Nurse was better away from them in the playoffs. But we don't have anybody to play with Nurse this year either. Nurse should be able to carry his own line, but we all know that isn't the reality.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Agree that Ceci and Broberg were both bad, and Nurse was better away from them in the playoffs. But we don't have anybody to play with Nurse this year either. Nurse should be able to carry his own line, but we all know that isn't the reality.
I am not going to overly try to defend Nurse but its pretty hard to "carry a pairing" in a series where teams have a chance to game plan to attack a weakness. Nurse gets himself in he most trouble when he tries to do too much or when he has way too much time it seems. The latter is on him. The former often comes from compensating for a partner playing over his head as Nurse traditionally plays a lot against top opposition.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
And if this organization had any balls whatsoever the Oil would have an extra roster player they could ice for the next 6 years. All they had to do was sideline crazy. Instead we passed on the problem, and it took Detroit a couple of preseason games for them to figure it out. And they do it on the up and up without question. Not even a f***ing peep. What a joke with the Oil as the punchline yet again.

The Oilers bottom 3 defensemen are absolute garbage. Not just Brown, all of them. We don't just need a partner for Nurse.

Kulak is garbage. Get rid of him. Ceci was twice the player and they jettisoned him for a guy they tried to sell as an answer in Emberson. The media was saturated with smoke, they were blowing it up the guy's ass claiming how good he was. Guess what, Emberson isn't good.
Kulak may need to go at some time because of his salary but your bolded claim is pretty hard to justify based on actual results on the ice. As a third pair defenseman I'd say he is well above average.

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
Ethan Bear, healthy, is 5 times the player Josh Brown is. Hurt, he's still twice the player.

It's not heart, it's just thinking about players, the organization is already familiar, who's just available.

Your problems with him is sort of your problems.

He didn't make the RHD of the Caps with 2 veterans and one recent UFA in from him? No kidding.

All the best to Jack Campbell, but also ugh.

I have one problem with him and only one...

He's NOT an NHL caliber player.

Not sucking as much as Brown isn't a reason to bring him back.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

The worst part is, you probably actually believe that last part.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Nurse - Stecher in their limited use last year had better results than Nurse - Ceci.

Reactions: Oilhawks

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
The NHL and NHLPA announce that Red Wings goalie Jack Campbell is entering the player assistance program indefinitely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad