Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It has nothing to do with training camp. It's an option available to the Oilers if they decide to take advantage of the timing. And depending on how the Oilers manipulate the roster and waivers.
It has everything to do with training camp because that's the type of LTIR you're talking about haha.

If you're disagreeing with that, you need to do some more reading.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If Arvidsson or any other player has to be placed on the LTIR during the regular season we lose the ability to accrue cap space and the dream of accruing cap space for a deadline deal is over.

Betting on the popular notion of building cap space through accruement depends on the Oilers to not be dependant on LTIR at anytime during the regular season leading up to the deadline for all players on the Edmonton Oilers, not just Kane. You can even take Kane out of the equation when it comes to the sports hernia and being placed on IR.

Everything would ride on the entire team staying healthy, outside of Kane being on IR for a period of time, and not using LTIR for any situation that may arise.

The plan forces the team to not use LTIR on Kane as well as not use LTIR for any other player, period.

Why are you acting like the only time a team can place a player on LTIR is at the start of the season

Your plan counts on a surgery that takes 2-3 weeks to recover from magically taking 7 months and the league not asking any questions lol.

Good luck with that.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Why are you acting like the only time a team can place a player on LTIR is at the start of the season

Your plan counts on a surgery that takes 2-3 weeks to recover from magically taking 7 months and the league not asking any questions lol.

Good luck with that.
I would like the team to trade for a player now, during the offseason. I don't want to gamble and wait for the deadline. The gamble is we may not find a trade partner at the deadline. The gamble is the Oilers may have to enter LTIR out of necessity due to injury ruining the accrued cap space option. I outlined an option within the CBA that would help maneuver for a possible trade before the season started which would see the team remain cap compliant. Staying cap compliant before the season starts, beyond the grace amount of 10%, and maximize the LTIR on Kane's contract alone... not Nurses.

Nurse would only used as a technicality to enable a trade by staying within the cap parameters by employing the LTIR guidelines before the season starts while optimizing Kane's LTIR.

That same cap ceiling would also occur, as explained above, if you placed Kane on LTIR after the regular season starts. You can get close to capitalizing fully on Kane's LTIR ceiling if you place him on LTIR before the season starts but you must do roster gymnastics that exposes players to waivers and we've lost enough players as it stands.

It's a technicality within the CBA that can be manipulated if the LTIR was driven beyond Kane's regular cap hit which is all the LTIR the Oilers need to acquire a significant defenseman on the second pairing. It speeds up the workable time frame of a possibly trade. There very well may be a trade market advantage in doing so by the Oilers thinking out of the box and taking the path least travelled.

And yes, it is all dependant on Kane staying on the LTIR for the entirety of the regular season unless the Oilers make additional moves to become cap compliant once Kane come off of the LTIR.

If we don't take advantage of placing Kane on LTIR for potentially the entire regular season I don't think anyone should realistically believe this Oilers team can win a Stanley Cup. If they don't take advantage of the opportunity that presents itself the cup window may never open again during the McDavid and Draisaitl years. And that would be a shame.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

200w.gif

a936edb5eb0bca0807756fb0f9c054fb38c32c7c.gif

200w.gif

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Who cares. It's fairly f***ing obvious they chose to acrue cap space for a reason.
And that's a f***ing poor decision. Look at the average age of this team. Do you really believe between now and the trade deadline the Edmonton Oilers will not be forced to utilize LTIR? That utilization will negate cap accruement. That's a big f***ing if. That's the way it is. What exactly are posters failing to comprehend here?

• Haha
Reactions: Senor Catface

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
And that's a f***ing poor decision. Look at the average age of this team. Do you really believe between now and the trade deadline the Edmonton Oilers will not be forced to utilize LTIR? That utilization will negate cap accruement. That's the way it is. What exactly are posters failing to comprehend here?

You still haven’t explained how the Oilers are going to convince anyone that a procedure that has a 6-12 week recovery time is going to take an entire season to recover from.

The only way it works is if the reported injury/surgery that Kane has isn’t a sports hernia. Who knows, maybe that’s the case. But the team will need to be able to prove it.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
You still haven’t explained how the Oilers are going to convince anyone that a procedure that has a 6-12 week recovery time is going to take an entire season to recover from.

The only way it works is if the reported injury/surgery that Kane has isn’t a sports hernia. Who knows, maybe that’s the case. But the team will need to be able to prove it.
The same way Mark Stone's lacerated spleen kept him out, a lacerated spleen is a less serious ailment than a sports hernia. You don't have to prove f*** all. You only need Kane to say, I'm still sore, I won't be ready until the playoffs start. The precedent has been set for exactly this occasion.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The same way Mark Stone's lacerated spleen kept him out, a lacerated spleen is a less serious ailment than a sports hernia. You don't have to prove f*** all. You only need Kane to say, I'm still sore, I won't be ready until the playoffs start. The precedent has been set for exactly this occasion.
Stone suffered the lacerated spleen at the end of February. He didn’t miss an entire season with it. He missed 2 months. The precedent has not been set where an injury with a 2-3 month recovery lasts an entire season.

If the Oilers try and game the system they better make sure they are doing a good job of it. Because the league will gladly bring the hammer down on Edmonton when they looked the other way for league darling teams.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It's a lot more complicated than "I am still sore" especially if Kane's contract is insured to any degree which it may well be as one of the 5 largest deals on the team. In that case you are actually at risk of insurance fraud, but who worries about such things?

Being sore is not a justification for LTIR. If it was teams could have players on LTIR pretty much any time they wish. The injury has to prevent the play from playing, it has to be certified by a physician and it is potentially subject to independent assessment, especially if the contract is insured. So could the Oilers get away with this. Possibly, because Kane has had other issues that might be able to justify more time off. But this one would be a massive longshot and if it backfired that would be a disaster.

You seem to feel that you have an LTIR strategy that no one else has figured out. Yet as others have posted it does not look like you actually understand the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad