Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Sign me up for Shattenkirk if nothing else but to keep Troy Stecher and Josh Brown out of the lineup. Bouchard-Shattenkirk-Emberson isn't ideal but it's a workable stopgap to start the season and hopefully someone shakes loose during the deadline.

I think Gio belongs in the glue factory (for more than just his age), the argument for adding him is as other posters mentioned, they simply don’t have any NHL experienced LD for a callup.

I don’t mind the idea of Shattenkirk or Schultz but they have lots of “maybes” to try out at RD
They're definitely question marks, but I'll take a question mark over a nearly guaranteed bad rhd like Stecher or Brown.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
Being that we must have 8 veterans in the lineup for a pre season game I would gladly welcome one of Shattenkirk, Schultz or Giordano on a PTO and happily release them from said contract when they are no longer needed.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
Gio can f*** off. Not only did he injure McDavid once, he tried to do it again the season after. Let him rot.
Yeah, I don't understand. This guy can't skate anymore. He's slower than current day Hal Gill. He's awful and got benched on TO for a reason. Why would we even entertain this guy? Even barring an injury to our top 3 LDs, anyone from Bakersfield would be better than this guy. We are already so old and slow throughout the bottom half of this lineup.

I hate the idea of kneeordano, schultz, or shatty but I would take either of the latter two over that guy.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Unfortunately, what you have described is a $9M+ defenseman right now.

The reality with Nurses is that he is mostly a positive contributor and when he is on the ice 5 vs 5 the Oilers almost always come out at least neutral but often ahead.

I am going to give you what I am sure will be a controversial stat but one I have looked at over the years. Take a look at the number of games each year that a defenseman ends up with a -ve overall. In Nurse's case over the last three years he has been a negative 60 times. Here are the numbers for some of the top defensemen in the league on some of the better teams:

Josi 73/229=31.9%
Hedman 74/236=31.4%
Makar 60/188=31.9%
Heiskanen 67/227=29.5%
Nurse 60/234=25.6%
Pietrangelo 78/ 217=35.9% (I actually don't think he is still a top defenseman.)
Adam Fox 59/232=25.4%
Quinn Hughes 65/236=27.5%

The thing with Nurses is that his errors are so noticeable that they burn into memory and they often ending up in goals against. But what is going to be less notable is that most of the time he is actually a pretty solid contributor. Now do these numbers prove anything profound, I can't make that claim. But what I thing they do show is that I suspect that if he was the disaster that some on here see him as there is no way that he could come out neutral or better so often.
Interesting context. Reality is that big minute top defensemen do make mistakes. Though not sure what it tells us in isolation without team context and situational play. Looking at that list one think I'd feel safe in saying is that those other elite have tended to have better, far more consistent quality goal tending behind them.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Interesting context. Reality is that big minute top defensemen do make mistakes. Though not sure what it tells us in isolation without team context and situational play. Looking at that list one think I'd feel safe in saying is that those other elite have tended to have better, far more consistent quality goal tending behind them.
The stats I posted were things I first looked at a few years ago in a different context, though using different years of course. Honestly I am not entirely certain how meaningful the numbers are but there has been a pattern over the years with Nurse that the Oilers do well when he is on the ice even when he is being raked over the coals as being an anchor for the mistakes he makes.

The problem is defense is really hard to isolate statistically. In contrast, as I said we all see his big mistakes that are so memorable so how much this skews the eye test is hard to say.

Last edited:

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Sign me up for Shattenkirk if nothing else but to keep Troy Stecher and Josh Brown out of the lineup. Bouchard-Shattenkirk-Emberson isn't ideal but it's a workable stopgap to start the season and hopefully someone shakes loose during the deadline.

They're definitely question marks, but I'll take a question mark over a nearly guaranteed bad rhd like Stecher or Brown.
This stetcher hate kinda reminds of the people who didn’t want Russel on the team the year he and Sekora were our top dmen ES. Give the guy a shot he has played top 4 in Van and LA in the past. He may not be the “sexy” option but we just need him to tread water for a bit.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Didn't think of it, but Johansen's contract being voided would give Nashville an additional $4m in cap space this season.

Hopefully Philly loses on Johansen's appeal.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Didn't think of it, but Johansen's contract being voided would give Nashville an additional $4m in cap space this season.

Hopefully Philly loses on Johansen's appeal.
2018-leaving.gif

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Giordano crashed in Toronto. They loved him there but he became unplayable. He's bottom pairing at most now. Schultz and Shattenkirk are old but not THAT old.

Personally I favor Shattenkirk just because it's better to go fresh rather than a retread

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
no thx to Gio or Shart. i think theyre dicks
Schultz meh whatever if he competes, which he probably won't. got lazy schultz ptsd

Reactions: MessierII

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Giordano crashed in Toronto. They loved him there but he became unplayable. He's bottom pairing at most now. Schultz and Shattenkirk are old but not THAT old.

Personally I favor Shattenkirk just because it's better to go fresh rather than a retread
I don’t think I’d even trust Giordano on the bottom pair in the AHL. He needs to realise he wasted his career in Calgary and it’s over.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don’t think I’d even trust Giordano on the bottom pair in the AHL. He needs to realise he wasted his career in Calgary and it’s over.
If we did sign Giordano, I'd accept it. I don't think he would work but I don't know everything. My feeling is that the best that Nurse has looked has been when he's been given a partner who skates well, and none of these names we are hearing are that. I suppose if their puck moving is nimble enough it might do but geez.

I'm not one of those people who hate Gio on principle. If I were GM I might have a quick call to McDavid to see what he thought and I'm 100% sure that McDavid wouldn't carry any ill will. (Well more like 90%)

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
I think Gio belongs in the glue factory (for more than just his age), the argument for adding him is as other posters mentioned, they simply don’t have any NHL experienced LD for a callup.

I don’t mind the idea of Shattenkirk or Schultz but they have lots of “maybes” to try out at RD
Maybe they could bring Manning and Gio back both to tag team McDavid this time.

Like I said in my post, after that catastrophic injury that could have destroyed McDavid's career, he tried it again.

I'm not convinced it hasn't slowed him down to some degree that injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad