Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Locking up Bouchard for his 25-33 year old seasons is an auto win for me. The team was a couple of goals away from the Cup with him being the most played Oiler (other than the goalies)

There is no way he will make less than Nurse. The best case scenario is 9.5M per for 8 years imo but I'd pay whatever to keep him.
If the Oilers don't lock up Bouchard for 8 years, at whatever amount, something ain't right.

Making the money work for Draisaitl, McDavid and Bouchard the instant they can be extended... should be priority one.

Finding the correct RD partner for Nurse priority two. Even if that costs a bunch of draft capital. Don't settle, ask Paul Coffey who Nurse needs to turn it around, then the Oilers have to make an offer compelling enough to get the player as well as making the money work, and that may include a third team.

So far one task out of four has been taken care of. Bowman and company cannot rest on their laurels due to the events of the day.

Reactions: La Bamba

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Bouchard, before Ekholm even became an Oiler, was excellent at zone denials, puck retrievals, and successful zone exits. He has developed like defensemen like him usually do- Ekholm just happened to be his partners and gets way to much credit. Ekholm is awesome, but he isn’t the reason Bouchard became Bouchard.

Bouchard has never needed anyone to carry him. Not through juniors and not in the NHL. This fan base will never appreciate skilled d-men. Hell, we chased Coffey away.
Bouchard never had significant defensive concerns to his game or lack of urgency in his play at the NHL level?

We chased Coffey?

You're not being honest.

Reactions: AM

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Bouchard never had significant defensive concerns to his game or lack of urgency in his play at the NHL level?

We chased Coffey?

You're not being honest.

Eh I definitely recall that being sort of a thing. Even Slats would chew Coffey's ass out at times lol.

The interesting thing is the 88 Cup run without Coffey was arguably the most dominant playoffs the Oilers ever had. They just freaking demolished Calgary who was supposed to be better that year, the Finals was a laugher against Boston too after a close Finals against Philly the season prior.

I was young but I remember the chatter of "we don't need Coffey".

Last edited:

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Just more Stauffer nonsense.

If they weren’t taking it seriously before.. then wtf were they doing? There is no salary cap on your scouting and analytics. There is no excuse.

If you’re not taking it seriously then you shouldn’t be in the league.
Bowman actually mentioned it too later on in the show. Basically said stay tuned they’re gonna announce some hirings

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I still think throwing Giordano a PTO for some regular season depth isn't the worst thing in the world. You could run

Ek Bouchard
Nurse Kulak
Giordano Emberson/Stetcher

In stretches where Stetcher or Emberson are struggling. His defensive metrics in Toronto were still solid.

You probably can't expect like 60+ games from him now, but the regular season is a long marathon. He's also likely still be good on the PK.

Last edited:

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

If they weren’t taking it seriously before.. then wtf were they doing? There is no salary cap on your scouting and analytics. There is no excuse.

More Stauffer nonsense? Lmao

Stauffer is the best insider on the Oilers and he's usually right on what he says.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I still think throwing Giordano a PTO for some regular season depth isn't the worst thing in the world. You could run

Ek Bouchard
Nurse Kulak
Giordano Emberson/Stetcher

In stretches where Stetcher or Emberson are struggling. His defensive metrics in Toronto were still solid.

You probably can't expect like 60+ games from him now, but the regular season is a long marathon. He's also likely still be good on the PK.

Not sure Gio's the answer, but I don't mind the idea of going back to their original solution for Nurse in the playoffs and having Kulak with him.

I get his reservations about playing the right side going into the SCF vs. the best forechecking team in the league, but this way he'd get to spend the regular season in the proverbial frying pan before being tossed into the fire.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Eh I definitely recall that being sort of a thing. Even Slats would chew Coffey's ass out at times lol.

The interesting thing is the 88 Cup run without Coffey was arguably the most dominant playoffs the Oilers ever had. They just freaking demolished Calgary who was supposed to be better that year, the Finals was a laugher against Boston too after a close Finals against Philly the season prior.

Coffey was the first to really press for more money. He ended up in a pretty bitter dispute with Pocklington himself. That was his trigger for being dealt.

I think Sather was a harder on Coffey than the fans. These were of course pre-internet and pre-24-hour-sports days. Aside from a few guys phoning John Short the players would have been exposed to very little fan-related crap. In general, that team was worshiped in the city.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Bowman actually mentioned it too later on in the show. Basically said stay tuned they’re gonna announce some hirings
Jackson also said something about the Oilers being behind/having some catching up to do in the analytics department after he took over as well, iirc.

Pretty clear the org was not taking that stuff seriously enough. Meanwhile 2 local Oilers bloggers who did that stuff for fun now have cup rings.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
They need to start the season with Nurse-Bouchard and see how that pairing does. If it doesn't work then you go back to Ekholm-Bouchard. If Bouchard can make Nurse look like a top pairing D again then pay the man whatever he wants.
They already did that this year and it didn’t work

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Well... we had a very workmanlike D-core that "just" defended and got pucks on net and two elite-level first lines (arguably) for the 1st time.

The addition of Simpson to Mess and Anderson made for a team that was impossible to defend. All 6 guys were point-per-game (or more) in the playoffs.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
If the Oilers don't lock up Bouchard for 8 years, at whatever amount, something ain't right.

Making the money work for Draisaitl, McDavid and Bouchard the instant they can be extended... should be priority one.

Finding the correct RD partner for Nurse priority two. Even if that costs a bunch of draft capital. Don't settle, ask Paul Coffey who Nurse needs to turn it around, then the Oilers have to make an offer compelling enough to get the player as well as making the money work, and that may include a third team.

So far one task out of four has been taken care of. Bowman and company cannot rest on their laurels due to the events of the day.

Not that I disagree with your action plan... but taking a deep breath. You must at least be happy today right?

Rest on your laurels for a day, it may help take a load off. ;)

North

Jun 25, 2009
Jackson also said something about the Oilers being behind/having some catching up to do in the analytics department after he took over as well, iirc.

Pretty clear the org was not taking that stuff seriously enough. Meanwhile 2 local Oilers bloggers who did that stuff for fun now have cup rings.
We were all well aware the Oilers analytics department was lacking.

We now have management that values analytics and are working to build that area.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Nurse and Bouchard aren’t even remotely comparable.
Correct. Nurse deserved the 9M per deal coming out of his last RFA year more than Bouchard does right now.
Nurse was looking like a legit all around top pairing Dman at that time putting up big numbers for someone who got no PP time.
Bouchard still has 2 more RFA yrs after next season before he burns his UFA yrs.

Nurse is not a comparable. Makar, Heiskenen and Hughes are better comparables for Bouchard.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

Did you forget who used to be GM?

Holland basically hired friends and family and let them do their thing with minimal oversight while having little desire to expand beyond the methods that worked for him 20 years ago.

Last edited:

North

Jun 25, 2009
Correct. Nurse deserved the 9M per deal coming out of his last RFA year more than Bouchard does right now.
Nurse was looking like a legit all around top pairing Dman at that time putting up big numbers for someone who got no PP time.
Bouchard still has 2 more RFA yrs after next season before he burns his UFA yrs.

Nurse is not a comparable. Makar, Heiskenen and Hughes are better comparables for Bouchard.
Nurse absolutely did not deserve that deal.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
They already did that this year and it didn’t work
There was a lot that didn’t work, I’d like to see them together without woodcrofts faulty zone defense

And they vastly out chanced and outshot the other team when they were together at 5on5 this year.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
There was a lot that didn’t work, I’d like to see them together without woodcrofts faulty zone defense
Fair point. Someone’s gotta get nurse going. Nurse weirdly has played his best hockey with Ethan Bear and Tyson Barrie. Doesn’t necessarily need to be a big name but he needs to play way better this year.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Fair point. Someone’s gotta get nurse going. Nurse weirdly has played his best hockey with Ethan Bear and Tyson Barrie. Doesn’t necessarily need to be a big name but he needs to play way better this year.
I think either stecher or Emerson will be a better fit for him than ceci.

Both are much better at puck retrievals.

Bouchard is a similar player to bear except better at everything, so they should in theory work together, if they work good enough to be worth splitting up ekholm and Bouchard is a different story though

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Stauffer was talking a big game about the Oilers apparently taking development and analytics/scouting way more seriously. We’ll need it to fill out the roster in the future. We’ll see what they have in store.

Bobby Nicks was too worried about promoting his wife’s books and creating newer grosser hamburgers to have much time taking development and analytics/scouting way more seriously.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

I mean Holland scouted based on feelings or whether you played for Detroit or not, just like Chia and Boston

We were so poorly run

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I think either stecher or Emerson will be a better fit for him than ceci.

Both are much better at puck retrievals.

Bouchard is a similar player to bear except better at everything, so they should in theory work together, if they work good enough to be worth splitting up ekholm and Bouchard is a different story though
Yeah that’s arguably the best D pair in the nhl right now so it’s tough to justify splitting them unless you’re gaining something big. Like I said I just hope one of these guys clicks with nurse in camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad