Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Why don't you specifically cite what you have a problem with, otherwise there's no point in having a discussion. Unless you think Ohtani is stupid or his accountants don't understand this stuff either.
Where do I start?
- Typically collateralized loans aren't at face value
- Kane's bankruptcy proceedings have added material risk to borrowing against SPCs.
- Collateralized loans aren't at low interest rates, or even prime. You're typically getting closer to the high yield territory of 10%+ unless it is extremely over-collateralized and with highly liquid assets
- Income tax isn't being avoided/evaded or turned into capital gains tax. Capital gains are paid on the capital return minus interest paid. Income tax is still paid on the salary. Your suggestion of a conservative investment at 5-6% likely will not cover the interest on the loan.
- The Canadian government is currently in the middle of a battle with John Tavares over jurisdiction for where his taxes should be paid on his bonus, this is far from settled law at this point.

That just scratches the surface, but hopefully this helps.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Where do I start?
- Typically collateralized loans aren't at face value
- Kane's bankruptcy proceedings have added material risk to borrowing against SPCs.
- Collateralized loans aren't at low interest rates, or even prime. You're typically getting closer to the high yield territory of 10%+ unless it is extremely over-collateralized and with highly liquid assets
- Income tax isn't being avoided/evaded or turned into capital gains tax. Capital gains are paid on the capital return minus interest paid. Income tax is still paid on the salary. Your suggestion of a conservative investment at 5-6% likely will not cover the interest on the loan.
- The Canadian government is currently in the middle of a battle with John Tavares over jurisdiction for where his taxes should be paid on his bonus, this is far from settled law at this point.

That just scratches the surface, but hopefully this helps.

Does Draisaitl even pay his income tax in Canada in the first place? He is a German citizen.

Tavares is not (last I checked) German.

What I was saying was the Oilers effectively cover the interest cost on a loan by paying the player even more but in return the player then agrees to defer more salary, driving his cap hit down.

I don't think institutions are never going to let pro sports athletes borrow money or open up lines of credit just because 1 player (Evander Kane) was irresponsible. If they operated that way, no one would get lent anything as plenty of wall street folks and regular folks have gone bust on loans in the past.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Draisaitl is a premier player but paying 14 mill for his 30-38 year old seasons seems rich to me. Feels like we’re paying for past performance a bit.
Honestly I could care less man. We need Leon long term. At that cost, with the salary cap now rising each year by a lot it seems, it may be tolerable (if this rumour is true)

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Does Draisaitl even pay his income tax in Canada in the first place? He is a German citizen.

What I was saying was the Oilers effectively cover the interest cost on a loan by paying the player even more but in return the player then agrees to defer more salary, driving his cap hit down.

I don't think institutions are never going to let pro sports athletes borrow money or open up lines of credit just because 1 player (Evander Kane) was irresponsible. If they operated that way, no one would get lent anything as plenty of wall street folks and regular folks have gone bust on loans in the past.
It doesnt matter where hes a citizen.

Hes a resident of Canada, and working in Canada.

Of course hes paying income taxes here.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It doesnt matter where hes a citizen.

Hes a resident of Canada, and working in Canada.

Of course hes paying income taxes here.

Not that simple. Auston Matthews pays less because of his bonus structure by claiming US residency.

I guess the question is how would taxation work if someone like Draisaitl defers a lot of his salary and then becomes a tax resident of Florida or takes up a part time coaching position next door to Germany in Switzerland in retirement for a couple of years for example?

Last edited:

battlegoon

Jun 13, 2009
Calgary, AB
It's interesting because these guys actually have been right a lot, they've just had a few details mixed up. Holloway and Broberg did sign 2 year deals the week these guys said they would. They were just wrong about the team it would be for and the dollar amount. And all they said was that the dollar amount "could" be 1.1 and 1.3 mil for them (basically what the Oilers had offered).

Then they said Kane wasn't expected to start on LTIR, which he's not. But it's not because he's ready to play. It's because we don't want to dip into LTIR.

So while they may have a few details wrong here or there, they've been right about a lot. Including the Bowman hiring the next day when no one else said it was going to be Bowman.

I gotta give them the benefit of the doubt on this. Maybe not on the actual numbers that Leon will sign for, but I sort of believe he could get signed this week potentially at this point. Guess we'll see.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

A signing bonus that a player earns July 1st is likely taxed wherever they say their residence is. For Draisaitl that could be a number of different places.

In season salary is taxed by the state/province a player is on any given day. So when the Oilers are in New Jersey, any income earned that day will be taxed at NJ rates, in Nashville, Tennessee rates, in Edmonton, Alberta rates etc.

It’s why the tax thing isn’t actually as big of an impact as a lot of people make it out to be. Can’t imagine the amount of work an accountant needs to do to make sure it’s all filed correctly lol.

M Ace

Apr 12, 2010
Orebro, Sweden
Sure. But where is the money to pay off the loan coming from? If it is from the team then the team takes the hit and there is no cap savings other than via the difference between the amount paid and the present value of the payment. If it is just the player investing his own money then again there is no cap savings.
If say Draisaitl cleans Katz pool for half of the caphit it would be on Draisaitls personal account. Then sign the contract for the other half of the salary to have it count against the cap.

Win-win situation....

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If say Draisaitl cleans Katz pool for half of the caphit it would be on Draisaitls personal account. Then sign the contract for the other half of the salary to have it count against the cap.

Win-win situation....
CBA's got that one covered unfortunately. :)

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah but they don't put stuff out there just for views. They are being told this by someone.
Media reads from other media recording it to sound fresh and different and more factual. Then the next media does it from that and so on.

Example last one was "We are hearing..."
One before "It is being reported ..."
Or "Have been told ..."
Or "My sources are saying"

All rubbish. Only fact if it happens or if the Oilers confirm.

Media need to do this because they need to post something .

Notice there are no or few actual reporters anymore. News comes from other news mostly.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Looks like it's finally done. I bet the Mutts guys are right and that it'll be 8 years $14m/yr, they called the Bowman hiring the night before too. I think it's a bit rich but, whatever, will just be glad that it's done.

Just read back in the thread now, the deferral stuff was some major wishful thinking. Too many complications involved where everybody has to agree to such a thing.

Reactions: McTonyBrar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad