Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Maybe if we give the role to a young guy like Emberston or Lindgren they could develop enough to where they could be the key piece going the other way for Andersson (at the deadline)

That way we could avoid having to give up Akey or Savoie
I'd probably flip Savoie and Akey for 2 years of Andersson at his cap hit :D

But that's why I post here.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Let the guy have some summer time, they went deep into the playoffs, he got engaged, just went to his best friends wedding. Let him enjoy the short short offseason he has
You're being naive GM. He is clearly weighing a decision.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
You’re basing this on…?
What was to negotiate? It was always going to be 'Hey Leon, what will it take to resign you for 8 years?'

There is no hard back and forth here. He knows what he wants and what he needs to be happy and still keep the team competitive.

To me, he is a worldly type of guy where lifestyle would play a big part in his decision.

I think losing in the final likely helped our chances to resign him.

It's not a slam dunk that he resigns. I think the Oilers have given him a deadline. Or they should. This can't be Gaudreau scenario. At least that's my opinion.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
You’re basing this on…?
I think it gets done but you have to put it into perspective.

We are talking about a contract that will probably be worth in excess of $100M (or around 140M Canadian)---and while that is becoming commonplace in MLB and the NFL--its a pretty big bite for a hockey time (at least, for now). I'm sure that even as an extremely wealthy man, Katz is weighing in on the price tag but that said I still believe that it comes to fruition.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Why are people even trying to start a panic with regards to Drai when we have not received any news indicating we should be worried?
Yeah this is kinda weird.

Maybe PTSD from all of the star players leaving Alberta? I'm not worried about it on August 25th.

They're not going to announce anything until he's back in town and both sides are obviously keeping things quiet.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Why are people even trying to start a panic with regards to Drai when we have not received any news indicating we should be worried?
It's been almost two months. Soon we'll be getting into "I don't want contract discussions to become a distraction, we'll pickup negotiations at the end of the season" territory.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The version of Schultz we saw here was a very immature version of the player.
He had only played about 200 NHL games by the time he finished up as an Oiler.
I am curious as to how much his defensive play has evolved.
He immediately went from Edmonton to Pittsburgh and was a Cup viable defenceman right away. I think Schultz was let down in Edmonton by a horrid D core. Bouchard would have failed in that situation too.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Its crazy you guys didn't buyout Nurse this offseason. Cap hit would be 1.5 mil forever but that is easy to live with especially if you have the best player in the NHL for most of that time period. He's not a good enough player to care if you see him on the Nucks or Flames.

Was Broborg just not that popular for a former top 10 pick? He's still pretty young.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Its crazy you guys didn't buyout Nurse this offseason. Cap hit would be 1.5 mil forever but that is easy to live with especially if you have the best player in the NHL for most of that time period. He's not a good enough player to care if you see him on the Nucks or Flames.

Was Broborg just not that popular for a former top 10 pick? He's still pretty young.

Darnell Nurse Buyout - NHL Contract Buyout, Salary cap impact | Puckpedia

Unless I'm misreading this (it's kind of an eye sore compared to CapFriendly, c'est la vie), 26-27, 27-28, 28-29, and 29-30 would be massive cap hits due to bonus structure. The cap relief would be for the first two seasons and then from 30-31 onward.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006

Nurse would *cost* 1.5mill forever. His cap hit in 2026-2030 would be 8.7-9.5mill per season

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

The 1.5M is simply the money part of the buyout equation, not including signing bonuses, which are added annually to his 1.5M payout. The far bigger problem is the actual cap hit each year, which is gross. Contract was front loaded and also back end with signing bonuses to protect against a buyout.

Last edited:

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

I don't think you understand how to read buyouts in relation to their impact on the salary cap.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Congrats on having no idea how buyouts work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad