Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
My worry is that none of the 3 can fill the spot next to Nurse. If Emberson does that well then we are a better team than we were last season on the blueline.
Neither could Ceci and we still made the finals.

I think Stecher will work better with Nurse than Emberson IMO.

Ceci might be quite a bit bigger than Stecher, but that didnt stop him from losing every puck race and battle.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
With Broberg gone, I wonder if David Jiricek would be a longshot possibility if one of these RDs work out and CBJ isn't able to mend fences.

Them not qualifying Boqvist was a move, but when that talk comes out that a prospect isn't happy with the situation, sometimes it's difficult to turn back the clock.

We can't afford him. He's like a top-5 d prospect

Reactions: McHelpus

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Neither could Ceci and we still made the finals.

I think Stecher will work better with Nurse than Emberson IMO.

Ceci might be quite a bit bigger than Stecher, but that didnt stop him from losing every puck race and battle.
Has Stetcher ever had a long stretch (50+ games) as a top 4D? He's definitely better at moving the puck than Ceci was.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Has Stetcher ever had a long stretch (50+ games) as a top 4D? He's definitely better at moving the puck than Ceci was.
I'm not sure.

But neither had Ceci with any success before being paired with Nurse.

I think if Stecher can help unlock Nurse a bit, that pairing will be quite a bit better, considering he needs someone who can pass and transition the puck better than Ceci.

In the 7 games last year Stecher played with the Oilers he did very good in a top 4 role, although its a small sample size.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I'm not sure.

But neither had Ceci with any success before being paired with Nurse.

I think if Stecher can help unlock Nurse a bit, that pairing will be quite a bit better, considering he needs someone who can pass and transition the puck better than Ceci.

In the 7 games last year Stecher played with the Oilers he did very good in a top 4 role, although its a small sample size.
In 2019-20 Stecher played about half his season with Edler. I am assuming that was in a top 4 role. But mostly it seems he has been a third pairing guy. Emberson played top 4 most of the time when he was with SJ paired mostly with Mario Ferraro.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
In 2019-20 Stecher played about half his season with Edler. I am assuming that was in a top 4 role. But mostly it seems he has been a third pairing guy. Emberson played top 4 most of the time when he was with SJ paired mostly with Mario Ferraro.
I wonder if they roll with Nurse-Stecher, and Kulak-Emberson and try and roll a 2A, 2B setup with equal minutes and deployment.

Reactions: stewy04 and Faelko

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Stecher is definately a better puck mover but the other thing to consider is that Stecher is now going to have to deal with Nurses poor defenisve reads just like Ceci had to.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Ceci had more poor defensive reads than Nurse.

People here just love to blame Nurse for everything cause hes the only D man close to being in the picture.
Actually...I think that you have it backwards.
Ceci was the player posters loved to rip on while overlooking Nurses ineptness in his own zone.

I get it...people dont like to admit how bad that $9.25M stud is.
Also keep in mind that Ceci's contract was just over $3M. So you are comparing players who shouldnt even be on the same page regarding defenisve ability and yet they are.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Ceci was the player posters loved to rip on while overlooking Nurses ineptness in his own zone.

Also keep in mind that Ceci's contract was just over $3M. So you are comparing players who shouldnt even be on the same page regarding defenisve ability and yet they are.

Sometimes I wonder if people watched the playoffs with their eyes closed

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I think a PTO would be pretty silly. They've got plenty of bodies for camp. Focus on snagging another Emberson on waivers like San Jose did if you want to add someone.

For instance, a guy like Kaedan Korczak likely doesn't make Vegas this year and he's waiver eligible now. Josh Mahura or Cale Fleury or going to hit waivers in Seattle. There's Ronnie Attard in Philly. Ian Mitchell and Alec Regula in Boston. Sam Malinski in Colorado.

I don't know why they really need another defenseman right now with Stecher and Brown being there to swap between #6D and #7D, but there's going to be a ton of bodies on waivers better than the corpses of Schultz and Barrie.
I still feel like Lindstrom is the exception and would be worth signing right now but past that I agree, lots of interesting names going to be hitting the waiver wire. The guy I had circled a bit was Matthew Robertson due to the familiarity with Knoblauch from the AHL. He might be a guy who could ease the loss of Broberg a bit and be a future Kulak replacement. I also wonder if we could see a swap of Lavoie for a similar defenseman after passing both through waivers like the Kostin/Samorukov swap a few years ago.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I wonder what it would take to get Andersson from the Flames. 2 years at 4.5 is crazy good value.

This is a future forecast move of course, as we approach the deadline. It's looking like if (and when) the Flames crash and burn that Rasmus will be for sale and that he will be the top RD available. So many have said that other teams will be much better set up than we will be.

I happen to think he is a great stylistic complement to Nurse, and I don't see other Dmen who could be available who compare. I'm not a huge expert on him but I have watched him and I like what I research. He seems similar to Ekholm actually in that he can look elite but will buckle under big minutes.

So should the trade cost be similar? I'd say marginally less, so maybe a 1st and a key prospect?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Would be nice if true. He's what people think Larsson is over there, but about three times as good.
Curious about your claim. I don't see 3 times value looking at these two players with a salary difference of $1,300,000.

Net Comparison:
Toi(avg): Larsson plays 5:22 more per game
Toi (high game):
Larsson 29:52 Shoot Out Loss to St. Louis (10.14.2023) 0+/-. 18 games over 25:00 toi. (-4)
Borgen: 22:51 Loss to Pittsburgh (1.15.2024) 0+/- . 11 games over 20:00 toi. (-3)
Toi (total minutes): Larsson plays 416.6 more total minutes last season (Equivalent to 6.9 NHL Games)
Toil breakdown: Larsson plays more in all situations Even: 313 Short-handed: 120. PP: 112.8. 5 on 5: 235 . 5 on 5 Close: 235 5 on 5 Tied: 235
+/-: Larsson has an 11 net spread
Salary: Larsson and Borgen difference is $1,300,000

Seattle Team: -19 Goal Share
9th fewest goals allowed
29th goals scored

Larsson
Toi (avg): 22:57
Toi (high game): 29:52 Shoot Out Loss to St. Louis (10.14.2023) 0+/-. 18 games over 25:00 toi. (-4)
Toi (total minutes): 1858.6
Toil breakdown: Even: 1607 Short-handed: 235.7. PP: 15.9. 5 on 5: 1529 . 5 on 5 Close: 1529 5 on 5 Tied: 1529
On-Ice Goals Against/60: 2.2
Zone Starts: 57.2 OZ. DZ
+/-: +6
Salary: $4,000,000

Borgen
Toi (avg): 17:35
Toi (high game): 22:51 Loss to Pittsburgh (1.15.2024) 0+/- . 11 games over 20:00 toi. (-3)
Toi (total minutes): 1442.
Toil breakdown: Even: 1294. Short-handed: 115.7. PP: 3.1. 5 on 5: 1294. 5 on 5 Close: 1294 5 on 5 Tied: 1294
On-Ice Goals Against/60: 3.0
Zone Starts: 34.6 OZ. 65.4 DZ
+/-: -5
Salary: $2,700,000

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
I wonder what it would take to get Andersson from the Flames. 2 years at 4.5 is crazy good value.

This is a future forecast move of course, as we approach the deadline. It's looking like if (and when) the Flames crash and burn that Rasmus will be for sale and that he will be the top RD available. So many have said that other teams will be much better set up than we will be.

I happen to think he is a great stylistic complement to Nurse, and I don't see other Dmen who could be available who compare. I'm not a huge expert on him but I have watched him and I like what I research. He seems similar to Ekholm actually in that he can look elite but will buckle under big minutes.

So should the trade cost be similar? I'd say marginally less, so maybe a 1st and a key prospect?
You saw what the flames did last deadline. They traded with every other division rival to try and beat the Oilers.

That management would have have Rasmus walk in free agency than trade him to the Oilers.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

Nurse gave him a beating long ago in the AHL I believe? Would make for a funny dynamic if they ended up on the same pair.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
You saw what the flames did last deadline. They traded with every other division rival to try and beat the Oilers.

That management would have have Rasmus walk in free agency than trade him to the Oilers.
I really don't believe that. I thought so when Tanev went to Dallas but apparently he had some power over the situation and wanted to go to the US. Rasmus has a no trade list too but I bet he'd love to come to our team. Plus we needed the Flames to take Ceci back while Dallas had no requirement. So the hating of the Oilers narrative isn't really confirmed. It's better explained in other ways

Plus the Flames have traded with us before. The Lucic Neal trade worked out

Reactions: brentashton

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
No.1 hockey story in Edmonton ... the Oilers

No.1 hockey story in Calgary ... also the Oilers.

Just how it goes.
According to what I read in CP last week, you are 100% correct.

On an unrelated tangent, I drove through there last week back from AZ. Visited my brother and his family for a while, what a horrible road network. Every path to everywhere was under construction, I told my wife in the drive I rated the best to worst drivers as follows:

Best - Montana
Arizona
Idaho
Utah
Worst - Calgary

If I had a rocket launcher on the front of the SUV, I would have set a few off in Calgary and Utah.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
You're describing the use of analytics. I'm not familiar with Lindstrom's, but can you point at any that can shed light on his upside?
I don't know Lindstrom at all. I don't really see anything that stands out with the player. I thought maybe he was a cap casualty in Anaheim but he played under a cheap sub $1milion salary.

Decent draft pedigree but has bounced around. Sounds like Detroit took him higher than projected under the uhh errr Kenny Holland regime albeit with their super scout Hakan Andersson. Not great boots, not physical, just kinda there. I can see some fans thinking of Forsling's late development and projecting that onto another Swedish fringe d-man. Everyone wants to 'see' and find the 'next one.' Sometimes what you see if what you get.

Now Emberson has a decent 30 game NHL sample with San Jose. He was caught in the Rangers system with a solid NHL blueline corp with a stacked right side and released. But Knoblauch had a full season direct viewing to assess ability, character, and potential NHL upside. He's a qualified cheap trial opportunity in a trade focused on moving Ceci's contract.

The Oilers have 3 6/7/8 depth d-men with Emberson, Stetcher, and Brown. The latter two are age 30+ with term deals that protect against waiver claims. I can see the Oilers looking to fill a donut hole at 2RD with a cheap veteran who's done that role.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I still feel like Lindstrom is the exception and would be worth signing right now but past that I agree, lots of interesting names going to be hitting the waiver wire. The guy I had circled a bit was Matthew Robertson due to the familiarity with Knoblauch from the AHL. He might be a guy who could ease the loss of Broberg a bit and be a future Kulak replacement. I also wonder if we could see a swap of Lavoie for a similar defenseman after passing both through waivers like the Kostin/Samorukov swap a few years ago.

That is a good point about Lavoie being possible trade bait. Savoie is obviously ahead of him, but Savoie doesn’t need waivers and Lavoie does. I could see it happening under correct conditions

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Curious about your claim. I don't see 3 times value looking at these two players with a salary difference of $1,300,000.

Net Comparison:
Toi(avg): Larsson plays 5:22 more per game
Toi (high game):
Larsson 29:52 Shoot Out Loss to St. Louis (10.14.2023) 0+/-. 18 games over 25:00 toi. (-4)
Borgen: 22:51 Loss to Pittsburgh (1.15.2024) 0+/- . 11 games over 20:00 toi. (-3)
Toi (total minutes): Larsson plays 416.6 more total minutes last season (Equivalent to 6.9 NHL Games)
Toil breakdown: Larsson plays more in all situations Even: 313 Short-handed: 120. PP: 112.8. 5 on 5: 235 . 5 on 5 Close: 235 5 on 5 Tied: 235
+/-: Larsson has an 11 net spread
Salary: Larsson and Borgen difference is $1,300,000

Seattle Team: -19 Goal Share
9th fewest goals allowed
29th goals scored

Larsson
Toi (avg): 22:57
Toi (high game): 29:52 Shoot Out Loss to St. Louis (10.14.2023) 0+/-. 18 games over 25:00 toi. (-4)
Toi (total minutes): 1858.6
Toil breakdown: Even: 1607 Short-handed: 235.7. PP: 15.9. 5 on 5: 1529 . 5 on 5 Close: 1529 5 on 5 Tied: 1529
On-Ice Goals Against/60: 2.2
Zone Starts: 57.2 OZ. DZ
+/-: +6
Salary: $4,000,000

Borgen
Toi (avg): 17:35
Toi (high game): 22:51 Loss to Pittsburgh (1.15.2024) 0+/- . 11 games over 20:00 toi. (-3)
Toi (total minutes): 1442.
Toil breakdown: Even: 1294. Short-handed: 115.7. PP: 3.1. 5 on 5: 1294. 5 on 5 Close: 1294 5 on 5 Tied: 1294
On-Ice Goals Against/60: 3.0
Zone Starts: 34.6 OZ. 65.4 DZ
+/-: -5
Salary: $2,700,000
What's missing out of this analysis is Vince Dunn who I think greatly impacts Larsson's on ice results.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

I guess ceci > nurse
My point exactly though, many times during the year people bitch and complain about nurse on a play when ceci is off sniffing crayons and nurse covering for him yet still getting blamed

Last edited:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I guess ceci > nurse
My point exactly though, many times during the year people bitch and complain about nurse on a play when ceci is off sniffing crayons and nurse covering for him yet still getting blamed

Both guys need a partner that is a good amount better than they are at passing/defending. They are just not a good combo together. Don't compliment eachother at all. And Ceci struggles against good comp no matter what IMO.

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I don't know Lindstrom at all. I don't really see anything that stands out with the player. I thought maybe he was a cap casualty in Anaheim but he played under a cheap sub $1milion salary.

Decent draft pedigree but has bounced around. Sounds like Detroit took him higher than projected under the uhh errr Kenny Holland regime albeit with their super scout Hakan Andersson. Not great boots, not physical, just kinda there. I can see some fans thinking of Forsling's late development and projecting that onto another Swedish fringe d-man. Everyone wants to 'see' and find the 'next one.' Sometimes what you see if what you get.

Now Emberson has a decent 30 game NHL sample with San Jose. He was caught in the Rangers system with a solid NHL blueline corp with a stacked right side and released. But Knoblauch had a full season direct viewing to assess ability, character, and potential NHL upside. He's a qualified cheap trial opportunity in a trade focused on moving Ceci's contract.

The Oilers have 3 6/7/8 depth d-men with Emberson, Stetcher, and Brown. The latter two are age 30+ with term deals that protect against waiver claims. I can see the Oilers looking to fill a donut hole at 2RD with a cheap veteran who's done that role.

Yeah we're on the same page about Emberson, this line of replies was based on Lindstrom specifically. I asked why his name is so popular in this thread.

Nobody's been able to give a good reason why we should give Lindstrom a chance besides that he's 25 years old.

Last edited:
Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
I really don't believe that. I thought so when Tanev went to Dallas but apparently he had some power over the situation and wanted to go to the US. Rasmus has a no trade list too but I bet he'd love to come to our team. Plus we needed the Flames to take Ceci back while Dallas had no requirement. So the hating of the Oilers narrative isn't really confirmed. It's better explained in other ways

Plus the Flames have traded with us before. The Lucic Neal trade worked out
- Zadorov and Lindholm to the Canucks
- Hanifin to Vegas
- Failed Markstrom trade to the Kings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad