Rumor: Rumor & Proposals: The sound of silence (Free Agency opens 12PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
Barrie is going to be tough to acquire until (if) they get a replacement for him.

Demers became redundant the minute Larsson signed and isn't really the PP option we're looking for.

Lucic about to get PAID!!! Lol.

I'm a little nervous about a Barrie deal, much more then losing hall. Our center depth will be destroyed and we will be left hoping drai doesn't disappear like te last half of last season.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Demers isn't a target anymore...?

b97675e5d8f27218c7576661c04108d9246449f74d44607847d7d80fc5b3cf79.jpg

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Eric Staal to Detroit kinda makes a lot of sense to me. Wonder if we'll see it.

Wonder where Backes is going, been kinda quiet on him.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Look at the reactions from fans and the media after the deal. How many people were saying the Oilers won it?

Of course it could look better with hindsight. That's obvious. What isn't obvious is why Chia needed to jump at the deal and make us desperate for lucic. If lucic wants to play with McDavid we are the only team that can offer that. No reason at all to put us behind the 8 ball with regards to negotiating with him.

No one is saying we won the deal. A lot however are saying this was a good move for the Oilers.

There have been quite a few for years now saying at some point the Oilers will have to lose a deal to make themselves better.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Jason Demers is an obvious target to address the weakness on the right side. I wonder if Chiarelli has something in mind similar to the Hall trade. Move Nurse for Barrie and sign someone (like Campbell) to fill in the left side. Barrie fits our RHD needs much better than anyone on the FA market.

Campbell Barrie
Klefbom Larsson
Sekera Fayne

Can't say I'd be too happy about it but it looks better than:

Klefbom Larsson
Sekera Demers
Nurse Fayne

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
My last response to you on the matter. The rest of the hockey world agrees with me that the Oilers lost the trade. So yes, you are under rating Hall. You have hated him for years.

Larsson is a good D, but an 18p shut down D isn't top pairing. If he can become a 30p shut down D then he is. We traded a sure fire top line player for a maybe top pairing D.

And the rest of the hockey world agrees with that assessment. So is everyone on the world wrong, or are you?

Respond if you like, but I won't follow up.

That's not the issue or the thing that is being debated. What is of relevance is the he ability to get a top line winger vs. a guy who is a top pair RHD according to knowledgeable people in the hockey world.

Say the Oilers sign Lucic then NJ signs Eriksson or Okposko. Then we're are stuck with $20M worth of LWers and NJ no longer has a need for Hall. We just crippled our cap by over spending on the least valuable position.

Boozers

Mar 18, 2004
Edmonton
Just pay Lucic. Play with McDavid from day 1. Contract term might be big at 6 or 7 years just play him with McDavid well be fine

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I'm a little nervous about a Barrie deal, much more then losing hall. Our center depth will be destroyed and we will be left hoping drai doesn't disappear like te last half of last season.

I'm with you.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Sign Wiz first and then go after Barrie. This could bring the price down from RNH to Ebs+

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
Well you have to pay Lucic whatever he wants now since you played your hand with the Hall trade.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013

Is there any way Nurse and 2017 1st gets one in the Barrie conversation?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Well you have to pay Lucic whatever he wants now since you played your hand with the Hall trade.

Or maybe Chia was willing to pay whatever he's going to get all along? It seems like more than coincidence that 2 people tweeted that Lucic had agreed to sign here, and shortly after Hall was dealt.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
That's not the issue or the thing that is being debated. What is of relevance is the he ability to get a top line winger vs. a guy who is a top pair RHD according to knowledgeable people in the hockey world.

Say the Oilers sign Lucic then NJ signs Eriksson or Okposko. Then we're are stuck with $20M worth of LWers and NJ no longer has a need for Hall. We just crippled our cap by over spending on the least valuable position.

NJ still needs offense even after Hall. They would still make that trade if they signed one of the other Ufa wingers. It's just too big a win for them not to.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I think expecting a 66% scoring increase just because a guy changes teams is kinda comical. 12 p may seem easy to get, but when a guy only scores 18 over a full year, is it really?

He scored at a 31 pts pace in 14/15 (24 pts in 64 GP).

I have said it before, this was his worst season offensively looking at his career in context.

Edit: Relative numbers also depend on context. If you score 5 points one year I would not be going out-of-line to say I expect 10 pts next year (if we are talking about a player changing from the most defensive team to an offensive team).

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

If Chia wouldn't give up Nurse in a deal for Hamilton or Trouba I'm not sure he's going to be giving him up to Barrie. The fact he's expansion exempt and Chia is high on him makes me think he's almost untouchable. At this point expansion exempt players are infinitely more valuable.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Radulov is an undeniable talent, but is a moody time bomb that you'll never know when he'll scurry back to Russia the moment it's no longer convenient for him to milk his NHL team.

Oh well, I guess it's only costing them money so who am I to judge how they spend it.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I think Barrie is Plan A. Demers might be Plan B, but not both.

Yeah, that would be the best scenario for us.

Actually with Stauffer hinting that maybe it'll be Landeskog to go for Trouba instead of Duchene, I would assume the return for Barrie would change from RNH to Eberle.
Still don't like Yakupov and Puljujarvi as our RW depth. Maybe Barrie for our 1st next year + Yakupov?

That would be awesome. I'd much rather trade Ebs, than Nuge.

Canucks getting the better player IMO.

I'll add that I bet Okposo goes to Buffalo and Demers to New Jersey

Don't like the Nucks getting Eriksson. Not one bit.

Ugh, don't like the Flames getting Brouwer. Not one bit.

Excellent.

Lolwut? Haha, Bergevin you lunatic.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
Barrie won't cost us a centreman, Avs need defence coming back. I'm guessing a deal around Nurse.

Depends if the reports that duchene/landeskog were being shopped(trouba?) if for instance they deal duchene for a dman then they would probably want Rnh for Barrie.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014

Probably not because I don't think Nurse can play right and if Avs lose Barrie they'd want some other sexier d-man, like Trouba. The only way to yank him from Jets is to give them the center they need, and Nuge to Avs makes one of Landeskog/Duchene available to pull him out of the 'Peg

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Radulov is an undeniable talent, but is a moody time bomb that you'll never know when he'll scurry back to Russia the moment it's no longer convenient for him to milk his NHL team.

Oh well, I guess it's only costing them money so who am I to judge how they spend it.

But snap verdicts and irrational judgments is what being a fan on HFOil this time of year is all about.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
He scored at a 31 pts pace in 14/15 (24 pts in 64 GP).

I have said it before, this was his worst season offensively looking at his career in context.

And that's when his zone starts were a little more balanced too, so it's not like he's lost his offensive background he had in junior (like what most morons are saying in the "hockey world")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad