Rumor: Rumor & Proposals: The sound of silence (Free Agency opens 12PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
If Chia wouldn't give up Nurse in a deal for Hamilton or Trouba I'm not sure he's going to be giving him up to Barrie. The fact he's expansion exempt and Chia is high on him makes me think he's almost untouchable. At this point expansion exempt players are infinitely more valuable.

Good point... I am a BIG Nurse fan, but think he won't drive the offence NOW like a Barrie will. If Chia could swing the Nurse & 1st for Barrie, that would help keep centre depth, as much as paying your 3c $6 mil kinda hurts. Barrie would be a gamechanger for the Oilers offence and PP.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
He scored at a 31 pts pace in 14/15 (24 pts in 64 GP).

I have said it before, this was his worst season offensively looking at his career in context.

I thought we gave up on ppg around here after the Gagner years.

Sure Larsson could increase his scoring. He just hasn't done it yet. Sure thing for a maybe.

DelusionOIL

Jul 10, 2008
Morinville
www.ibew424.net
Can anyone tell me why I see so many post boxes with nothing in them? Are these posts that the admins have removed or something? Or maybe tweet's that are linked that I am unable to see? I don't get it.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
No offense, but I think as a fanbase we need to let go of the fantasy that the Oilers are going to be trading Nurse anytime soon.

IMO he is an absolute untouchable for another couple years at least, unless the Oilers got an offer they just couldn't refuse.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Can anyone tell me why I see so many post boxes with nothing in them? Are these posts that the admins have removed or something? Or maybe tweet's that are linked that I am unable to see? I don't get it.

Are they tweets? Lots of people posting tweets, so if you havent noticed any, that is probably it.

Husker Du

Sponsor
Mar 18, 2012
Edmonton
NJ still needs offense even after Hall. They would still make that trade if they signed one of the other Ufa wingers. It's just too big a win for them not to.

I'm genuinely perplexed why everyone wants to declare a winner or loser for this trade before a single game has been played. Did we give up the "better" player? Most people think so, but how do you value a player who scores points versus a player who prevents points? I honestly don't know how to compare their values. Shouldn't we look at the impact to the team before declaring a winner versus loser. For example if NJ stays relatively flat in the standings but Hall scores 80 pts, and we make the playoffs this year, did we lose the trade?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Sure Larsson could increase his scoring. He just hasn't done it yet. Sure thing for a maybe.

Pretty much why everyone was pissed about the trade. Not that most weren't against trading Hall but we're not even sure Larsson will improve offensively. The return they got was abysmal.

Funny note - fans harped that we failed because we're gambling on 23 year olds...Oilers traded a 24 year old Hall for a 23 year old Larsson:laugh:

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

I am just saying that the season everyone uses for comparison is actually his worst (and yes, I am ignoring the "dark years" when he was in and out of the line up changing partner at every turn and played 10 min one night and 20 min the other).

Well, at least that (should) mean that many are in for a nice surprise :). I am convinced of it but to each his own of course.

bzur

Feb 11, 2007
Probably not because I don't think Nurse can play right and if Avs lose Barrie they'd want some other sexier d-man, like Trouba. The only way to yank him from Jets is to give them the center they need, and Nuge to Avs makes one of Landeskog/Duchene available to pull him out of the 'Peg

e5975cb73fcee11f_3Way.jpg

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Pretty much why everyone was pissed about the trade. Not that most weren't against trading Hall but we're not even sure Larsson will improve offensively. The return they got was abysmal.

Funny note - fans harped that we failed because we're gambling on 23 year olds...Oilers traded a 24 year old Hall for a 23 year old Larsson:laugh:

You can't improve offensively when you have one of the worst forward corps in the league, he'll do well here.

bzur

Feb 11, 2007
Wait, how did Campbell sign? I thought signings could start at noon eastern time?

I just got a notification from TSN

Why

Jan 15, 2014
Edmonton
If we leave this weekend with Larsson, Lucic AND Barrie I will absolutely lose my s%&t! Even just Larsson and Lucic is a win. I love the trade btw. Changes the complexion of this team so much. Gregor had his little poll the other day and I'm 100% in Lucic+Larsson>>>>>>>Hall +Demers

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Brouwer to Calgary would be annoying. Don't mind Eriksson to Vancouver so much, I feel like he'll have a tenure similar to Vrbata's (good start, overall somewhat mediocre signing) and Benning will likely give him a ridiculous contract. Hopefully anything the Oilers do today we're not regretting a couple years from now.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Have I been underrating him or have you been overrating him? He just got traded for someone you all seem to think is not worth it. I'm trying to say he is worth it.

Larsson played the toughest competition out of anyone in the NHL last year. He had the highest % of defensive zone starts. He played big minutes and performed better than any other defenceman on the New Jersey Devils. The Devils are one of if not the best defensively run teams in the entire league. They barely get scored on. Scheider's numbers are vastly different when Larsson is on the ice vs. when he's not. Larsson does a good job at suppressing scoring opportunities.

The only metric anyone could use to say Larsson isn't a top pairing defenceman is that he put up 18 points. I will argue the forward talent in New Jersey is far worse than any other team in the league. I will point you to their goals per game being dead last. I will point you to Larsson having no PP time and having the highest % of defensive zone starts out of ANY OTHER DEFENCEMAN IN THE NHL.

Yet, he ended up a +12 and has proven he is capable of shutting down the leagues best players. Give him a bit of PP time and he would be a 24+ minute a game player instead of a 22 minute a game player with capability of playing 28, 29 minutes a game if need be. This guy outperformed Andy Greene on the best defensive team in the league.

Explain to me how, besides point totals, this guy is not a top pairing defenceman. I have been critical of Hall over the years because he puts up points and brings nothing else. Last season he struggled to put up points. A similar player in Phil Kessel was traded for essentially a late 1st round pick. We got back a top pairing RHD for Hall. I feel we got a way better return than Toronto did for a very similar player.

I assume you've done little to be able to assess Larsson's game other than google his stats. Read New Jersey fans opinions on him. Watch shifts of his. Think critically about the type of player we gave up, the type of player we got back, and the type of players the Oilers need. I don't think we lost this trade with New Jersey. I think the Oilers, especially when we sign Lucic, got a lot more competitive.

I've been a big Hall fan over the years and this trade actually doesn't bother me that much. I think I would have been more bothered going into next season with no RD capable of handling heavy shut down minutes. All I can say is that this Larsson guy better be the real deal and Lucic better be signing here....:laugh:... In the last year it looks like Chia has brought us a #1 goalie and a first pairing shut down defender which are probably the 2 biggest holes a team can have. I think we are finally making progress.:popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad