Rumor: Rumor & Proposals: The sound of silence (Free Agency opens 12PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Like others have said, dollars aren';t a huge concern for this club right now. Length is. 7 years at 7 million a year would be hard to swallow. 5 years at 7 million could be doable at the very most.

I hope he comes in at 6x6 or something like that. Could live with 6x6.5. Could live with 6x7 too but that would make things a bit more complicated going forward.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Jsut throwing this out there, Nurse for Barrie. Yay or Nay

I'd say Yay. They would still have Klef, Sekera, Davidson and Reinhart on the left side and get to keep their center depth.

Lucic (assuming he signs)-McDavid-Puju
Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Maroon-Drai-Yak
Hendricks-Letestu-Pakarinen

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Barrie
Davidson-Reinhart/Vet

Looks like a playoff team to me. It would be really tough to give up Nurse and it will be tough to go up against him when he fills out but to get a 24 year old 50 point Dman, I'd make that sacrifice.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Calling Hall a 65 point winger feels a little bit disingenuous. The guy has already had one season of 80 points and the tools to do even more just based on watching him play.

That's not what he's saying, he's saying the impact of trading Hall is easier to fill in than the hole in our RHD prior to the trade.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Not sure. Even Shero admitted they now have a huge hole to fill at their #1 RHD position. They're going to have to overpay now for a guy like Demers in the bidding war with us and other teams.

Or if they want to trade for a RHD of Larsson's calibre to replace him, they then need to look at trading one of their players like Taylor Hall to get one. That's the price of a RHD with his skill and potential.

Larsson is a far better player than Demers is on a great contract. It is far easier to acquire 65 point wingers than it is to acquire top pairing RHD.

You have been under rating Hall for years. You'll excuse me if I immediately disregard your opinions on the matter. Hall is far more than a '65 winger'. And Larsson isn't a proven top pairing D.

NJ does that trade no matter when Chia offered it to them imo.

I just hope that bad move by chia doesn't cost us too much when chasing Lucic.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Oilers better make a move on Lindholm before Murray OS him.

Gosh, Chia is an idiot for trading Hall before signing Lucic.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I honestly would've liked to see this deal during the season for two reasons.

1 - Do RNH and Eberle start playing with more drive as they see things aren't a fantasy world

2 - I really wonder if we are a better team today than we were when we made the deal. We loss the trade, but I think we are way more rounded with this deal.

That's the key especially if they get Lucic signed. Balance

It's something that had to be done eventually. The Oilers were going to lose a trade valuewise to get the desired Dman, it was inevitable, and they will be better off for it.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Assuming he can be had for free, would anyone be willing to try Rundblad as a depth option?

A right side of:
Larsson
Demers/Other
Fayne
Rundblad

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Oilers better make a move on Lindholm before Murray OS him.

Gosh, Chia is an idiot for trading Hall before signing Lucic.

He said the deal had to be done that day, whether it be Shero closing the phone on Larsson after that day or something else, the deal was to be done regardless. Why can't people understand that?

That's dumb too.

Shero got it right when he said players of Hall's calibre rarely become available.

Make no mistake, Hall's a calibre of his own. But again, the impact wingers have on playoff/cup-winning teams is not drastic in today's game. We lost the trade but we're a better team at the end of the day. You can't get any goals for when you're hemmed in the d-zone for most of the game. That's a big part of the reason why goals for AND goals against were one of the Oiler lows last season.

Last edited:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
He said the deal had to be done, whether it be Shero closing the phone on Larsson after that day or something else, the deal was to be done regardless. Why can't people understand that?

Yes and where are the moves if there's this kind of urgency?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Calling Hall a 65 point winger feels a little bit disingenuous. The guy has already had one season of 80 points and the tools to do even more just based on watching him play.
What can you really call him?

He had one 80 point year and then was injured a lot. His PPG suggest 70, so I don't know.

He's like Hemmer, he's a 80 point guy if healthy.

Now the issue becomes what does he get in NJ? They were the worse last year in goals and the team now has even less d-men to get the puck to the weak forward group. Hall getting 65 might be enough to get him the Hart on that club

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I don't find this to be a compelling argument at all. NJ had nothing for scoring. They trade a 2/3 D with upside for Hall then, today, tomorrow, next week, in training camp or during the season. That trade was a gift for them and they do it absolutely anytime.

There was little reason for Edmonton to make that trade then. And now we have little on lw and have given all leverage to Lucic who can basically write his own cheque here

But he wasn't their 2/3 Dman.

If you wait until after July 1st then you are possibly changing many variables. You then have excess of a commodity that isn't in high demand (LW). Hall's value would actually have gone down because there would be a bunch of other top line wingers available that don't come at a cost of a commodity that is in extremely high demand.

Not sure if there's any point of talking any further than this. You seem to think that a top 6 LW is harder to obtain than a top pair RHD for some reason. Hell Chia grabbed Maroon for less than nothing and he badly outproduced Hall from the TD on. When you have very high level skilled centers like we do, having Hall is a want, not a need.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
You have been under rating Hall for years. You'll excuse me if I immediately disregard your opinions on the matter. Hall is far more than a '65 winger'. And Larsson isn't a proven top pairing D.

NJ does that trade no matter when Chia offered it to them imo.

I just hope that bad move by chia doesn't cost us too much when chasing Lucic.

Have I been underrating him or have you been overrating him? He just got traded for someone you all seem to think is not worth it. I'm trying to say he is worth it.

Larsson played the toughest competition out of anyone in the NHL last year. He had the highest % of defensive zone starts. He played big minutes and performed better than any other defenceman on the New Jersey Devils. The Devils are one of if not the best defensively run teams in the entire league. They barely get scored on. Scheider's numbers are vastly different when Larsson is on the ice vs. when he's not. Larsson does a good job at suppressing scoring opportunities.

The only metric anyone could use to say Larsson isn't a top pairing defenceman is that he put up 18 points. I will argue the forward talent in New Jersey is far worse than any other team in the league. I will point you to their goals per game being dead last. I will point you to Larsson having no PP time and having the highest % of defensive zone starts out of ANY OTHER DEFENCEMAN IN THE NHL.

Yet, he ended up a +12 and has proven he is capable of shutting down the leagues best players. Give him a bit of PP time and he would be a 24+ minute a game player instead of a 22 minute a game player with capability of playing 28, 29 minutes a game if need be. This guy outperformed Andy Greene on the best defensive team in the league.

Explain to me how, besides point totals, this guy is not a top pairing defenceman. I have been critical of Hall over the years because he puts up points and brings nothing else. Last season he struggled to put up points. A similar player in Phil Kessel was traded for essentially a late 1st round pick. We got back a top pairing RHD for Hall. I feel we got a way better return than Toronto did for a very similar player.

I assume you've done little to be able to assess Larsson's game other than google his stats. Read New Jersey fans opinions on him. Watch shifts of his. Think critically about the type of player we gave up, the type of player we got back, and the type of players the Oilers need. I don't think we lost this trade with New Jersey. I think the Oilers, especially when we sign Lucic, got a lot more competitive.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Yes and where are the moves if there's this kind of urgency?

I'm saying that the deal, with Larsson and Hall, was to be done regardless of Lucic even considering to come here. He's literally just bonus and Chia's pouncing on it.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Sorry Mods, I hope I'm right in assuming this is okay to ask for.

Are there by any chance (doubtful I know) any free legal streams today for free agency from TSN, Sportsnet or another network?

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Have I been underrating him or have you been overrating him? He just got traded for someone you all seem to think is not worth it. I'm trying to say he is worth it.

Larsson played the toughest competition out of anyone in the NHL last year. He had the highest % of defensive zone starts. He played big minutes and performed better than any other defenceman on the New Jersey Devils. The Devils are one of if not the best defensively run teams in the entire league. They barely get scored on. Scheider's numbers are vastly different when Larsson is on the ice vs. when he's not. Larsson does a good job at suppressing scoring opportunities.

The only metric anyone could use to say Larsson isn't a top pairing defenceman is that he put up 18 points. I will argue the forward talent in New Jersey is far worse than any other team in the league. I will point you to their goals per game being dead last. I will point you to Larsson having no PP time and having the highest % of defensive zone starts out of ANY OTHER DEFENCEMAN IN THE NHL.

Yet, he ended up a +12 and has proven he is capable of shutting down the leagues best players. Give him a bit of PP time and he would be a 24+ minute a game player instead of a 22 minute a game player with capability of playing 28, 29 minutes a game if need be. This guy outperformed Andy Greene on the best defensive team in the league.

Explain to me how, besides point totals, this guy is not a top pairing defenceman. I have been critical of Hall over the years because he puts up points and brings nothing else. Last season he struggled to put up points. A similar player in Phil Kessel was traded for essentially a late 1st round pick. We got back a top pairing RHD for Hall. I feel we got a way better return than Toronto did for a very similar player.

I doubt you've done little to be able to assess Larsson's game other than google his stats. Read New Jersey fans opinions on him. Watch shifts of his. Think critically about the type of player we gave up, the type of player we got back, and the type of players the Oilers need. I don't think we lost this trade with New Jersey. I think the Oilers, especially when we sign Lucic, got a lot more competitive.

Great post McDuul. QFT.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Jsut throwing this out there, Nurse for Barrie. Yay or Nay

I'd say Yay. They would still have Klef, Sekera, Davidson and Reinhart on the left side and get to keep their center depth.

Lucic (assuming he signs)-McDavid-Puju
Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Maroon-Drai-Yak
Hendricks-Letestu-Pakarinen

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Barrie
Davidson-Reinhart/Vet

Looks like a playoff team to me. It would be really tough to give up Nurse and it will be tough to go up against him when he fills out but to get a 24 year old 50 point Dman, I'd make that sacrifice.

I know a lot of people don't want to trade Nurse because of everything he can bring to the team but he's still a 3rd pairing guy. Barrie would be a number 2 and really balance what Larsson does. I'd definitely do it (assuming Barrie isn't asking for over 6.5 mill).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad