Rumor: Rumor & Proposals: The sound of silence (Free Agency opens 12PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
That's not what he's saying, he's saying the impact of trading Hall is easier to fill in than the hole in our RHD prior to the trade.

Right, but he's basing the 'impact of trading Hall' on the idea that he is a 65 point winger. Just stating that that seems to undersell the guy when he has already scored 80 and could potentially do more.

My only point.

If you're going to use players in analogies then it's only fair to use their actual numbers and not understate what they actually bring to the table.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Have I been underrating him or have you been overrating him? He just got traded for someone you all seem to think is not worth it. I'm trying to say he is worth it.

Larsson played the toughest competition out of anyone in the NHL last year. He had the highest % of defensive zone starts. He played big minutes and performed better than any other defenceman on the New Jersey Devils. The Devils are one of if not the best defensively run teams in the entire league. They barely get scored on. Scheider's numbers are vastly different when Larsson is on the ice vs. when he's not. Larsson does a good job at suppressing scoring opportunities.

The only metric anyone could use to say Larsson isn't a top pairing defenceman is that he put up 18 points. I will argue the forward talent in New Jersey is far worse than any other team in the league. I will point you to their goals per game being dead last. I will point you to Larsson having no PP time and having the highest % of defensive zone starts out of ANY OTHER DEFENCEMAN IN THE NHL.

Yet, he ended up a +12 and has proven he is capable of shutting down the leagues best players. Give him a bit of PP time and he would be a 24+ minute a game player instead of a 22 minute a game player with capability of playing 28, 29 minutes a game if need be. This guy outperformed Andy Greene on the best defensive team in the league.

Explain to me how, besides point totals, this guy is not a top pairing defenceman. I have been critical of Hall over the years because he puts up points and brings nothing else. Last season he struggled to put up points. A similar player in Phil Kessel was traded for essentially a late 1st round pick. We got back a top pairing RHD for Hall. I feel we got a way better return than Toronto did for a very similar player.

I assume you've done little to be able to assess Larsson's game other than google his stats. Read New Jersey fans opinions on him. Watch shifts of his. Think critically about the type of player we gave up, the type of player we got back, and the type of players the Oilers need. I don't think we lost this trade with New Jersey. I think the Oilers, especially when we sign Lucic, got a lot more competitive.

My last response to you on the matter. The rest of the hockey world agrees with me that the Oilers lost the trade. So yes, you are under rating Hall. You have hated him for years.

Larsson is a good D, but an 18p shut down D isn't top pairing. If he can become a 30p shut down D then he is. We traded a sure fire top line player for a maybe top pairing D.

And the rest of the hockey world agrees with that assessment. So is everyone on the world wrong, or are you?

Respond if you like, but I won't follow up.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
My last response to you on the matter. The rest of the hockey world agrees with me that the Oilers lost the trade. So yes, you are under rating Hall. You have hated him for years.

Larsson is a good D, but an 18p shut down D isn't top pairing. If he can become a 30p shut down D then he is. We traded a sure fire top line player for a maybe top pairing D.

And the rest of the hockey world agrees with that assessment. So is everyone on the world wrong, or are you?

18 points on a team with the worst goals for in the league and 70% of his starts in the defensive zone with little PP time is pretty good for a d-man like Larsson lmao.

If anything, you talking about his 18 points makes him look better actually.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
So is everyone on the world wrong, or are you?

I have no idea how this can be answered so soon.

I also don't understand the reasoning that if Larsson just gets 10 more points than he did last year (which doesn't seem unlikely at all), that this suddenly becomes a much more acceptable trade.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
Have I been underrating him or have you been overrating him? He just got traded for someone you all seem to think is not worth it. I'm trying to say he is worth it.

Larsson played the toughest competition out of anyone in the NHL last year. He had the highest % of defensive zone starts. He played big minutes and performed better than any other defenceman on the New Jersey Devils. The Devils are one of if not the best defensively run teams in the entire league. They barely get scored on. Scheider's numbers are vastly different when Larsson is on the ice vs. when he's not. Larsson does a good job at suppressing scoring opportunities.

The only metric anyone could use to say Larsson isn't a top pairing defenceman is that he put up 18 points. I will argue the forward talent in New Jersey is far worse than any other team in the league. I will point you to their goals per game being dead last. I will point you to Larsson having no PP time and having the highest % of defensive zone starts out of ANY OTHER DEFENCEMAN IN THE NHL.

Yet, he ended up a +12 and has proven he is capable of shutting down the leagues best players. Give him a bit of PP time and he would be a 24+ minute a game player instead of a 22 minute a game player with capability of playing 28, 29 minutes a game if need be. This guy outperformed Andy Greene on the best defensive team in the league.

Explain to me how, besides point totals, this guy is not a top pairing defenceman. I have been critical of Hall over the years because he puts up points and brings nothing else. Last season he struggled to put up points. A similar player in Phil Kessel was traded for essentially a late 1st round pick. We got back a top pairing RHD for Hall. I feel we got a way better return than Toronto did for a very similar player.

I assume you've done little to be able to assess Larsson's game other than google his stats. Read New Jersey fans opinions on him. Watch shifts of his. Think critically about the type of player we gave up, the type of player we got back, and the type of players the Oilers need. I don't think we lost this trade with New Jersey. I think the Oilers, especially when we sign Lucic, got a lot more competitive.

Awesome post, agree with what you say 100 percent. I'm willing to wager that 10 games into the upcoming season Larsson will make a lot of posters eat a ton of crow. Young RHD with massive 1 pairing potential very rarely come to market. We just got one for a scoring winger who brings nothing else to the table except helping us finish dead last year after year.

duul

Jun 21, 2010

I will say if the metric between him being a top pairing defenceman and not is 12 points, going from the worst skilled forward group to one of the most skilled forward groups should allow him to put up 12 extra points, and have this be a worthwhile trade in your eyes.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
That Helm deal is a ton. 3.85 for a guy that is basically your checking C? Yikes.

I like him too but that's too much.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Awesome post, agree with what you say 100 percent. I'm willing to wager that 10 games into the upcoming season Larsson will make a lot of posters eat a ton of crow. Young RHD with massive 1 pairing potential very rarely come to market. We just got one for a scoring winger who brings nothing else to the table except helping us finish dead last year after year.

I hope you're right. The real problem with the deal is that Larsson has to have every single thing go perfectly for the Oilers to even break even on the deal. All of the risk is with the Oilers.

That being said, it's pretty clear what they were doing before was not working, so I guess some new way to suck isn't all bad....haha.

Truthfully I do hope Larsson tears it up. I'm just not expecting it.

Defsta

Dec 1, 2004
18 points on a team with the worst goals for in the league and 70% of his starts in the defensive zone with little PP time is pretty good for a d-man like Larsson lmao.

And you have to remember that those 18 points are ES points, as they wanted to him play as primary shutdown guy on ES and PK.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
And you have to remember that those 18 points are ES points, as they wanted to him play as primary shutdown guy on ES and PK.

Pretty much more even strength points than all the Oilers d-men last year on a worse offensive team... and no nurtured starts in o-zone. :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad