Rumor: Rumor & Proposals: The sound of silence (Free Agency opens 12PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Can we really afford Backes though if we sign Lucic and brought in someone like Barrie (or even Demers)?

I can't see him signing for anything less than in the 5-6M range. Helm seems more reasonable in the 3M range.

Probably not, if we sign Lucic, which is likely, and bring in another Dman, which is also likely. And all those guys are going to cost a pretty penny. Lucic likely gets at least 6m AAV, Barrie probably 5.5 to 6m AAV (I believe that's his asking price as an RFA), and Demers probably gets 5.5 AAV if we decide to sign him instead of trading for Barrie (could be more, but just being a bit conservative). So you're probably right. I know that Chia cares about which side our centers shoot from, and I'm sure he would agree that only having Letestu as a right-handed center is not ideal. But he might just have to eat that, and sign a guy like Helm or Fiddler. I think Helm would be a great fit. To hell with which side he shoots from.

However, if he trades RNH for (say) Barrie (and then we obviously wouldn't sign Demers), then I think it's somewhat possible he goes after Backes, and it could possibly all fit under the cap going forward, signing the guys we'll need to sign in a couple years and beyond. But if RNH stays, and we buy Demers, then no, don't see a Backes signing being possible.

Last edited:

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Providing Nurse, Reinhart, and Fayne get sent to AHL or dealed. We are against the wall of the cap limit with Lucic, Barrie, a back up goalie, a depth d-man and Backes signed (with Nuge out)(est ~ 1 mill to 500k)

Sounds scary, but a lot of contracts are coming off the books next year/year after so I'm not too worried about McDavid BTFO with paper or retooling wingers.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Probably not, if we sign Lucic, which is likely, and bring in another Dman, which is also likely. And all those guys are going to cost a pretty penny. Lucic likely gets at least 6m AAV, Barrie probably also 6m AAV, and Demers 5.5 AAV (could be more, but just being a bit conservative). So you're probably right. I know that Chia cares about which side our centers shoot from, and I'm sure he would agree that only having Letestu as a right-handed center is not ideal. But he might just have to eat that, and sign a guy like Helm or Fiddler. I think Helm would be a great fit. To hell with which side he shoots from.

However, if he trades RNH for (say) Barrie, then I think it's somewhat possible he goes after Backes, and it could possibly all fit under the cap going forward, singing the guys we'll need to sign in a couple years and beyond.

I'm assuming you mean if we don't sign Lucic? We have 15.3M cap space (18.55M with Ference on LTIR) with 22 Players on the active roster so if we were bringing in 2 more (3 in 1 out) then we'd save the 900k or whatever to fit the 23 man roster which would put us at like 19.5M space. I guess it could maybe fit, but we'd be very tight on the cap and I don't think it would work with Bonus carryover next year + Draisaitl needing a new contract.

Edit forgot to subtract Nuge so we'd have like 25.5M cap space I believe.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
I'm assuming you mean if we don't sign Lucic? We have 15.3M cap space (18.55M with Ference on LTIR) with 22 Players on the active roster so if we were bringing in 2 more (3 in 1 out) then we'd save the 900k or whatever to fit the 23 man roster which would put us at like 19.5M space. I guess it could maybe fit, but we'd be very tight on the cap and I don't think it would work with Bonus carryover next year + Draisaitl needing a new contract.

Not sure how LTIR works, but I'm pretty sure Ference still counts against the cap and we are relieved of his hit. Some other people tell me he won't count because of how long he's been injured.

LTIR is the only thing I can never put my finger on :dunno:

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo

Yeah, if we move out Nuge I think it's possible. Because if we trade Nuge for Barrie, the money is basically a wash, as Barrie will probably get about the same. I think his demands are for 6m AAV, but we might be able to sign him long-term for 5.5m, so that would save 500k. Every bit counts in this cap world. That's why I mentioned that even gaining 1.8m in the Hall trade has quite a bit of value in itself; more than most would guess. That much cap space would have a LOT of value to many teams. Just ask the Hawks how much they'd love to have almost 2m cap freed up. But anyway yeah, it could probably only work if Nuge goes for Barrie. If he goes for Dumba, then we'd have even more cap space, but that'd also be a brutal trade, so that better not happen (without a big plus coming our way). ;)

It all kinda starts to get confusing this late at night, lol.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Not sure how LTIR works, but I'm pretty sure Ference still counts against the cap and we are relieved of his hit. Some other people tell me he won't count because of how long he's been injured.

LTIR is the only thing I can never put my finger on :dunno:

My understanding was that if you went over you got the relief of the LTIR, but I can't honestly say I know for sure lol. Might have to go look into it.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah, if we move out Nuge I think it's possible. Because if we trade Nuge for Barrie, the money is basically a wash, as Barrie will probably get about the same. I think his demands are for 6m AAV, but we might be able to sign him long-term for 5.5m, so that would save 500k. Every bit counts in this cap world. That's why I mentioned that even gaining 1.8m in the Hall trade has quite a bit of value in itself; more than most would guess. That much cap space would have a LOT of value to many teams. Just ask the Hawks how much they'd love to have almost 2m cap freed up. But anyway yeah, it could probably only work if Nuge goes for Barrie. If he goes for Dumba, then we'd have even more cap space, but that'd also be a brutal trade, so that better not happen (without a big plus coming our way). ;)

It all kinda starts to get confusing this late at night, lol.

Yeah I guess it could work I kind of forgot that we just bought out Korpikoski and saved the cap from the Hall trade when I was thinking about it. I guess it would depend what Backes wanted for term (if he was even willing to sign here). I'm ok overpaying a bit for 1 free agent forward, but doing it for 2 could have some consequences especially if the term is too long on both. Would be one hell of a better looking team next season though with Hall + Nuge out and Poolparty, Larsson, Barrie, Lucic, Backes in. Now I think we might just be getting a little unrealistic though lol.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Yeah I guess it could work I kind of forgot that we just bought out Korpikoski and saved the cap from the Hall trade when I was thinking about it. I guess it would depend what Backes wanted for term (if he was even willing to sign here). I'm ok overpaying a bit for 1 free agent forward, but doing it for 2 could have some consequences especially if the term is too long on both. Would be one hell of a better looking team next season though with Hall + Nuge out and Poolparty, Larsson, Barrie, Lucic, Backes in. Now I think we might just be getting a little unrealistic though lol.

That would be a playoff team, IMO. But yeah, that many additions might be pushing it, lol. Would be nice if Chia can make all the money work, though, as well as making sure enough money is coming off the books when Drai and McDavid need re-upping (or just sign them long-term before that, preferably. Especially for McDavid -- I don't think we need a bridge deal, unless we're trying to make sure we keep him for a couple years longer by giving the 8 year deal after the bridge is almost done. The it might cost a lot more, too, though. Tricky business, this cap and contract stuff).

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That would be a playoff team, IMO. But yeah, that many additions might be pushing it, lol. Would be nice if Chia can make all the money work, though, as well as making sure enough money is coming off the books when Drai and McDavid need re-upping (or just sign them long-term before that, preferably. Especially for McDavid -- I don't think we need a bridge deal, unless we're trying to make sure we keep him for a couple years longer by giving the 8 year deal after the bridge is almost done. Tricky business, this cap and contract stuff).

I could see Drai maybe get a bridge if he doesn't break out this season, or get a long term deal mid season if he's really thriving like Barkov did last season. I don't think McDavid will be bridged, he's gonna get locked up for big money big term as soon as they can.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I could see Drai maybe get a bridge if he doesn't break out this season, or get a long term deal mid season if he's really thriving like Barkov did last season. I don't think McDavid will be bridged, he's gonna get locked up for big money big term as soon as they can.

I think you're probably right. I would guess next summer is when we'll hear a huge 8 year contract for McDavid, probably in the 10-11m AAV range, or more. If by next year at this time the cap is projected to be going up a lot in the coming years, he could get even more. But hey, just sign him. Do what it takes when it comes to McDavid. You would hope he's a bit of a team player, though, and takes a BIT less than he probably could get. I think he is that type of guy, lucky for us. But yeah, it's hard to guess what his AAV will be in an 8-year contract a year from now as a lot can change in a year.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think you're probably right. I would guess next summer is when we'll hear a huge 8 year contract for McDavid, probably in the 10-11m AAV range, or more. If by next year at this time the cap is projected to be going up a lot in the coming years, he could get even more. But hey, just sign him. Do what it takes when it comes to McDavid. You would hope he's a bit of a team player, though, and takes a BIT less than he probably could get. I think he is that type of guy, lucky for us. But yeah, it's hard to guess what his AAV will be in an 8-year contract a year from now as a lot can change in a year.

Yeah I hope we can get him signed cheaper, but I really don't care. I just want to watch him grow for the next decade.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Here's a thought. Chia always mentions that he opened communication with other teams during pressers. He had a long talk with Chuck Fletcher about Dumba. Maybe those talks open up another trade possibility.
Spurgeon and Granlund
For
Nuge and Nurse/(Reinhart + 2017 1st)

Not that the Wild are pressed for cap but this gives them the ability to get Okposo + sign another Dman like Hamhuis.

Lucic - McDavid - Yak
Maroon - Draisaitl - Ebs
Pouliot - Granlund - Pulju

Sekera - Spurgeon
Klefbom - Larsson

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation

Yeah, looking at what Stamkos eventually signed for, and earlier a guy like Crosby, I don't think McDavid will ask for the moon even if he could.

Since he seems to want to just be one of the guys and is pretty interested in winning, I don't see him wanting to cripple the team around him.

He'll still get paid of course, easily our highest paid player, but nowhere near the max or anything like that.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Here's a thought. Chia always mentions that he opened communication with other teams during pressers. He had a long talk with Chuck Fletcher about Dumba. Maybe those talks open up another trade possibility.
Spurgeon and Granlund
For
Nuge and Nurse/(Reinhart + 2017 1st)

Not that the Wild are pressed for cap but this gives them the ability to get Okposo + sign another Dman like Hamhuis.

Lucic - McDavid - Yak
Maroon - Draisaitl - Ebs
Pouliot - Granlund - Pulju

Sekera - Spurgeon
Klefbom - Larsson

Cut Nurse and Granlund out and just do Spurgeon and Nuge straight up. Don't think there's any chance Nurse gets dealt because 1) Chia loves how he plays, 2) He's expansion exempt, 3) We don't know what we have with him, imagine trading him away in a deal like that and having him become a #1 or #2 Dman down the road.

We could sign a centre in FA to replace Nuge, although I really hope if we trade Nuge that its for a guy who brings a little more offensively and specifically on the PP.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Yeah, looking at what Stamkos eventually signed for, and earlier a guy like Crosby, I don't think McDavid will ask for the moon even if he could.

Since he seems to want to just be one of the guys and is pretty interested in winning, I don't see him wanting to cripple the team around him.

He'll still get paid of course, easily our highest paid player, but nowhere near the max or anything like that.

Yeah, I strongly get that impression, too. A good comparison would be Sid. Sid could've asked for the moon, and gotten it from someone -- likely even the Penguins, as they probably would've done anything to keep him. But he took less. He actually accepted the AAV of his jersey number, 87 (8.7m AAV). I could see McDavid doing something similar (97 = 9.7m AAV). I would bring the Sid thing up in contract negotiations. 8 year deal for $77.6m, or 9.7m AAV. I could easily live with that, and think it would be a great deal for all parties. He's set for life, and we get a pretty good deal on a generational player that gives us more cap room and salary maneuverability compared to a max deal. But I guess we shouldn't get too ahead of ourselves; this is still probably at least a year off. Also have to remember that McDavid still has to do more to prove he's the real deal, not that I doubt him at all. But I do expect a big year, and hopefully he can deliver.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Not that I follow basketball, but I believe they call that DeRozan signing "the Lucic contract".

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Regardless of what has transpired under his watch he was a good trooper, really the only one from the dynasty to come back and finish his playing career here and he got our team into the last SCF with some outstanding trades.

Actually Anderson came back as well but the Oilers dealt him to St. Louis.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Drai plays better on the right side Chia mentioned this in his press conference and McLellan also mention it before. It's usually snipers who want to play on their off-hand but it works for Draisaitl's style of puck protection and he might actually be a better passer off his back hand then he is on his forehand as crazy as that might sound. Draisaitl will be hurt by the loss of Hall, the difference in his scoring rates with and without Hall were drastically different.

I'm eager to see Klefbom and Larsson as a pairing, but if Larsson is deployed like he was in New Jersey I wouldn't expect much offense to come out of that pairing, I'm guessing that McLellan will go easier on him zone start wise, but we'll have to wait and see.

Both Klefbom and Larsson are very good passers. They would be playing a lot with McDavid so if they simply get him the puck he will do the rest. Part of the problem this year was that the defense could not even do that. So McDavid had to come back deep to get the puck.

Larsson also has a big shot from the point, as does Klefbom. If Lucic is menacing the goalie both might put up bigger numbers than we expect. Klefbom was actually drafted as an offensive defenseman and Larsson was always viewed as a two way guy. If you could get 30-40 points out of both it would be a huge improvement relative to the recent past. The entire defense last year had 102 points.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Both Klefbom and Larsson are very good passers. They would be playing a lot with McDavid so if they simply get him the puck he will do the rest. Part of the problem this year was that the defense could not even do that. So McDavid had to come back deep to get the puck.

Larsson also has a big shot from the point, as does Klefbom. If Lucic is menacing the goalie both might put up bigger numbers than we expect. Klefbom was actually drafted as an offensive defenseman and Larsson was always viewed as a two way guy. If you could get 30-40 points out of both it would be a huge improvement relative to the recent past. The entire defense last year had 102 points.

I keep hearing these last days that Larsson's shot is not that good. I don't know if I am going blind or something but I have always thought he actually has a really good shot. He used it a lot his first season, but last season/seasons he has been so buried in the DZ that he hasn't gotten much of a chance to get it off.

I am still hoping for us to sign Campbell on a 1-2 year deal, even though I know he probably won't come here. I'd put Campbell with Larsson and Klefbom with Sekera.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW

Exactly correct. It was unbelievably frustrating to watch the Oilers waste 2/3 of McDavids shifts because they didn't know how or where to give him the puck.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Anyone else think the 2nd mystery team is either...

A) A way for Lucic to push for more money from Edmonton

or

B) A way for the Oilers to justify to the fans why they paid so much?

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I hate this day. we're just waiting to see who the oilers overpay. no wonder crap teams can get in cap trouble.

must be nice to be a destination where a player would take less to sign.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

hard to say. if the Oilers still suck, why would he take a discount to let management continue to build a bad team around him?

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Guys, guys. I will not fail you. Lucic is an Oilers. The guy puts up respectable point totals.

I'm willing to bet you all that the ~15 point differential between Hall and Lucic will be washed away if not turned in Lucic's favor with the addition of Larsson and whoever else we add. Larsson's incredible breakout pass, when it hits McDavid, is going to be something we haven't seen since Visnovsky. You're all going to be so happy.

edit: I'd like to point out all the flack I've received for my trade proposals. I was hounded, ridiculed, called a complete idiot for them. They involved Hall being traded for perceived lesser players. Now we've seen his true value. Maybe, just maybe, I am not so crazy after all.

You aren't not the only one .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad